This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Micd guitar question

Discussion in 'Production' started by xxlespaulxx, Dec 20, 2012.

1. xxlespaulxx

xxlespaulxx New Metal Member

Hey all, I'm mixing a single for a local CT band "Virtue" and they wanted to go with micd guitars rather than my usual method of DI and POD Farm. I used a sm57 on center and a ribbon mic about 4 feet back from the cab. We used my ibanez tube screamer, 6505+ head and an orange ppc412. When by themselves the guitars sound great, but in the mix they just seem so thin and not ballsy enough. I sent both the 57 and ribbon to a compressor track and messed with the levels and they definitely sound a bit better. Any other ideas or tricks on how to beef up the guitars? Now Im kicking myself for not having a DI along with the micd up rig to mess with combining tones :(

2. DullElysium

DullElysium Member

I think people really would like some samples. Hard to help without hearing.

3. oroinvictus

oroinvictus dangert billy

4 feet back seems a little far... and some sound clips would really help.

4. topsoul182

topsoul182 Member

The bass should fill out the bottom end. So if the guitars are a little thin it leaves room for the bass