This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Michelle Meldrum in coma

Discussion in 'The Iron Maidens' started by Metallicat180, May 21, 2008.

1. Metallicat180

Metallicat180 Rockstar-In-Training

Checking into the Psycho Motel...Crieff, Scotland
    http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=97418

The manager of former PHANTOM BLUE guitarist Michelle Meldrum — who has spent the past few years as the leader of her own band called MELDRUM — has told BLABBERMOUTH.NET that Meldrum is currently in a coma in a Los Angeles hospital and hasn't been officially declared dead yet despite earlier reports to the contrary. According to Dawn Robinson of Dark Moon Entertainment, Michelle is in critical condition and is undergoing a number of tests which her family is hoping will result in a miracle that will allow her to "pull through." An official update regarding her status is expected sometime within the next 24 hours.

Michelle Meldrum was born in Detroit, Michigan to a family of musicians and actors, and moved to Los Angeles, California at the age of 13. She started her career in music by forming the thrash metal band WARGOD with drummer Gene Hoglan (DARK ANGEL, DEATH, STRAPPING YOUNG LAD), then moved on to become both co-founder and lead guitarist in PHANTOM BLUE. PHANTOM BLUE released its self-titled debut album on Shrapnel Records in the U.S. (Roadrunner in Europe and Japan) and eventually landed a major label deal with Geffen.

While her career flourished, Michelle married EUROPE guitarist John Norum and moved to Sweden to form MELDRUM. After many successful tours with such acts as MOTÖRHEAD and BLACK LABEL SOCIETY, she reunited with Gene in 2006 when he appeared as a guest on MELDRUM album and events. Inspired to once again collaborate, Michelle moved back to America where she and Gene began writing the third MELDRUM album together.

Michelle Meldrum has a three-year-old son named Jake Thomas with EUROPE guitarist John Norum.

------------------------------------------------------

Oh my god, I was so shocked to hear this news!! :( Michelle is a great inspiration to me as a female guitar player and Phantom Blue are one of my all time favourite bands. My thoughts and prayers are with her, her family and her friends. I pray to God that she pulls through.

2. MattDouglas

MattDouglas Rock'n'Roll for papillae

I'll be saying prayers too!
    Keep us posted if you hear more, as I'm sure we'll all do the same!

3. Metallicat180

Will do! I really hope she'll be ok. :(

4. Hallowed be my name

Hallowed be my name Hopeless Groupie

Zow...

My sympathy to everyone who knows her. All of my energy is with her. I know she's got the Maidens in her corner. My best to her family in this crisis.

5. Danny rctv

Danny rctv Girl Band Geek!

I almost posted this first but I was waiting.I was called at work when the original report that she had died came out and I had to leave.I know 2 people who have survived comas and I hope Michelle will be the third.She's one of the nicest sweetest people I've ever had the pleasure of knowing and an incredible talent.Why dose this have to happen to good people like Michelle?All positive vibes go out to her and that she will pull through this!:(

#5 Danny rctv, May 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2015
  6. A7

A7 Live to Win

I never got to meet her, but after listening to her works with Phantom Blue over the past few months, I've had a lot of respect for her. I'm hoping for her safe recovery and my best wishes to her family.

7. Doodoobubbachuck

Doodoobubbachuck Maidens' drums

Michelle has passed away about 6:00pm this evening at the hospital. It comes as a complete shock and the impact will be felt by so many. She was a one of a kind and will be sorely missed. I don't really know what to say right now. I will update this thread with more information regarding donations to any trusts that may be set up for her 3 year old son and her family as I get it. Thank you for your prayers. I'm sure she heard them all. It is a very sad sad day.

8. Danny rctv

I'm working on a tribute video for her right now.I'll post it when I get it done.a friend of Gene Hoglan's called me a while ago and told me how things weren't looking good for Michelle.
    Strangely enough I've been thinking about her the past few days.I almost e-mailed her a couple weeks ago asking about her new band line up.Last night I began editing a recent interview I did with the band Forbidden.Michelle's drummer Gene Hoglan was sitting in with them.I asked Gene about her in the interview.last night when I was editing the interview I looked through footage of the band Meldrum with Gene playing.I remembered when I interviewed Michelle last year she expressed interest in coming to San Francisco to play one my TV show's events.I was kicking around ideas how to include them.

It's so cruel to first hear she died and then she wasn't,it was a coma and now she's really gone.This makes 2 members of Phantom Blue that are no longer with us.Bassist Rana Ross passed away a few years ago.She was a really good friend of mine.I'll never forget what a nice warm person Michelle Meldrum was.A beautiful and talented woman we're all going to miss!:cry::cry:

9. spideyjg

spideyjg Bass Gear Geek

OMG! :cry: I'm so sorry to hear this Linda! I only met Michelle a couple of times but she was a gem and sharp guitar player.

WTF happened?

Heaven just got a little louder. :cry:

[​IMG]

10. MiniMurray

MiniMurray Member

sad sad day - i toast to vibrato tonight

11. A7

A7 Live to Win

I'm very sorry to hear of this, Linda. :cry:

12. Air Raid Siren

Air Raid Siren Maidens' Vox

This sudden loss has saddened me so much. I didn't know her well but was glad for the bit of time I spent with her, both on and off the stage- she was so excited about being a mom and was such a musical free spirit. My heart aches for her little boy and all her family.

13. supernav

supernav Celebrity Chef

This is sad. I know all too well about these injuries unfortunately. My heart goes out to Michelle and her family.

RIP Michelle. :(

nav

14. Steph Harris

Steph Harris Maidens' Bass

Very sad news. Really makes you realize that you never know how much time you have left...and that it may not be as much as you think. She will be missed.

15. Metallicat180

Thank you for updating us Linda. This is so, so sad. I'm absolutely gutted.

RIP Michelle...

16. MattDouglas

MattDouglas Rock'n'Roll for papillae

I don't know what to say either!
    I only met her oce, the one time when she filled in for the Maidens in between Liz and Heather.
    But I know she your friend and I imagine you're taking it pretty hard, maybe really hard.
    I'm sorry!

17. SoCalDamageInc

SoCalDamageInc Damage Inc

This is such sad news. She was only 39 years old and has a three year old. We are all devastated. Michelle was a friend, a very cool person who was also exceptionally talented. Our thoughts and prayers go out to her family and friends.

18. Maiden Afganistan

Maiden Afganistan Linda's favorite Brother

This is really sad news. Michelle was way too young and way too nice to go so soon, I feel for her family and friends. Very sad news...

19. Danny rctv

Here's my video tribute to Michelle

#19 Danny rctv, May 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2015
  20. Red Shirt

Red Shirt Member

Wow, how horrible to have life cut short. I remember her sitting in for the MaidenS. I was totally impressed at how well she played to so many songs with what seemed like a few days to practice them all. My condolences to her friends and family, especially her 3 year old son. Nice video Danny.