This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Mikael and Bloodbath

Discussion in 'Opeth (Archived)' started by musicnerd, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Iki-ilkkuja

Iki-ilkkuja Member

Religions come and go by. It's irrelevant wether you belive in christianity or islam and so forth. We all belive in something, I for instance in science and so forth. I don't belive that Still Life would be that anti-christian or anti-religous, it's more about being opposed to the conservative values of the majority back in Still Life's "days."

2. suspect

suspect New Metal Member

What kind of pussy-ass death metal fan drinks their coffee with cream in it?

3. soundave

soundave Member

I rarely pay attention to lyrics. But the vocals are pretty legible in TFM for a change, and I do have to admit to being like, "Holy shit, that's kind of over the top."

I often wonder why this genre of metal is so stuck in a rut, thematically. It's kind of a one trick pony. It is, after all, possible to enjoy the music of dm and to dislike the message. I'm proof of that. I'm not really what I'd call a christian (probably best described as agnostic these days), but I am sometimes disturbed by dm lyrics as a member of the human race. I understand that christianity has committed atrocities in the name of god, but I don't think retaliatory atrocities are the answer.

There are plenty of other topics out there that are serious and could mesh with dm lyrics. Philosophy is the go to, of course (which often winds its way back to religion) and science (a la Vintersorg, I guess...not dm, of course). I started a thread some time ago about whether metal's lyrics need be brutal, thinking of my own children. For me, the question of whether or not I'm okay with dm lyrics and such came from the fact that I don't want my daughters to hear them.

I know that positive, life-affirming death metal would be a contradiction in terms, but if it existed and was good, I'd prefer to listen to it over violent, hate-filled, negative music, the music being equal.

4. Frosties

Frosties Blind @ heart

All this talk has made me want to create my own Death Metal band, and we WILL only sing about bunnies and chocolate!

5. hexwind

hexwind Creepiness Och Terrorism

yeah I heard this hting before? but dunno what reasons that made u believe in this.can u explain ur theory for me please? :rofl: send me a PM.thx man

6. HemeHaci

HemeHaci Ken Masters

Maybe people have high expectations of Mikael which is good.

Also asking for respect for an idea (especially a fragile one like this) is NOT ridiculous.

7. [KOTNO]Narrot

[KOTNO]Narrot Eats and spits corpses...

holy shit. welcome back

8. hexwind

hexwind Creepiness Och Terrorism

lol, there is a french black metal band whose lyrics are about school and exams.

9. Black Session

Black Session Heretic Misanthrope

ok then, so don't complain muslims showing no respect anymore for the US or christians (even though most still do) because christianity has mocked islam very hardly for over 1000 years.

it's fucking death metal ... how many times does this need to be repeated?

10. Black Session

Black Session Heretic Misanthrope

christianity fragile???? oh djeez ... i'm going to stop checking this thread ... what a load of bullshit.

11. Words of Credence

Words of Credence Silent Hill lurker

Getting your panties in a bunch over religion = fail

Religion = just a form of mass-control, exploiting people's weaknesses and fear of the unknown by offering ambiguous bullshit.

Things in life and death are like they are, regardless of what you believe in. Sure there are a lot of questions of existence we would like to know the answer to, but if we ever get any answers, I'm pretty sure they'll be applicable to all of human-kind (or even wider) since we're all the same.

[/philosophybullshit]

Oh, and as for DM lyrics..."Death" as a word has no exclusivity to any religion whatsoever (alas, if you want to take it literally from the name). I like lyrics to be more about mortality and existence and shit in general rather than poking directly at things, no matter how serious or not they are. Find-your-own-meaning FTW (whatever that means lol).

12. Hox

Hox Superiorly grim and kvlt

Mr. Bungle 2? :heh:

13. demon of the moor

If "skinheads" in america can have their own racist labels, and music (often hardcore) than i think we of little faith can have our death metal just the way it is thank you.

14. Yaow!

Yaow! Member

There ARE islam black metal band.

15. BefriendedUnit

BefriendedUnit They wear white for me

Because of what I said.

16. elected

elected Member

Mike wrote the lyrics for Sodomizer's songs e.g:

Mock the Cross
    Drink From the Cup of Heresy
    Earthrot

EDIT: Source. In credits.

17. The Poona of Peshwa

The Poona of Peshwa Blood Glutton

I almost got into a fight over cream today. I got a large coffee from the Tim Horton's on campus, and the lady at the counter forgot my cream. So as I was walking I passed a soup joint and asked the guy there if he could spare a cream. Well the guy says no, I have to buy something. So my buddy I was with starts beaking off at the guy, and things got pretty heated. Nothing came of it though.

True story.

18. Le_Shrike

Le_Shrike Member

Orphaned Land - El Norra Alila/Mabool

If you don't have anything against a little oriental vibes, those are killer albums. The first being the most DM, the last being more "crazy epic ass progressive metal".

19. ozric

ozric Member

i'm with you lothlorien. i'm surpised at some of the prejudices here. There is a lot of hyporcrisy in this thread, as there is arrogance, so let's just keep our thoughts to ourselves, unless you have something worth saying.

Fact: Mikael has said that he as an atheist, but not anti-Christian; whilst some Bloodbath lyrics seem to contradict this statement, DM is typified by such lyrics, and I'm sure the lyrics are tongue-in-cheek. If not, then i may have to revise Mikael's 'legendary' status.

20. Lothlorien

Lothlorien Towards the Great Sky

thank you.