This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Mike Baker (Singer of Shadow Gallery) RIP

Discussion in 'Enchant' started by Soundscape, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Soundscape

Soundscape Member

I'm in total shock as his vocals are maybe my favorite part of their band. And he was WAYYY too young! :(

It is with deep sadness and regret that we announce the passing of Shadow Gallery vocalist, Michael A. Baker. Mike suffered a heart attack, Wednesday afternoon, October 29th, 2008. He was 45 years old. Mike was a founding member of Shadow Gallery and for the past 16 years, helped shape the sound of the band with his magical voice. Additionally, he made many appearances on rock records around the world. Those who knew him best were moved by his gentle spirit, sincere kindness, fun nature and passion for both music and sports. He was a warrior in the studio, a true professional. Mike was our friend, our singer and our brother. We loved him and will miss him enormously, but he will always be remembered in our hearts and through his music.

At this time we are setting up a condolence book on the Shadow Gallery Band website that you will be able to leave a message.

Good Bye Mike,

We will miss you and your beautiful voice.

2. Ze Dan

Ze Dan European Prog Rock Rabbi

I am at loss for words. What can I say after reading such tragic news ? My support and careful thoughts are going to Mike's family as I send them my wish for peace. :cry:

Rest In Peace Mike

3. mark b

mark b Prog 4 ever. Australia!!!

That is so so sad, Way too young. R. I. P

4. dano1427

dano1427 Member

Crap, that's sad...I was listening to Tyranny on the way to work and was wondering when a new S.G. disc was going to come out...I guess, never :(

RIP...

--dan

5. slowhand

slowhand ..takes hold of the flame

R.I.P., Mike. :(

6. Alberik

Alberik Member

This is sad news, indeed, such a great vocal and way too young!

'Growing up' musically with the help of their amazing debut album is something I will carry with me forever, 1992 was a great year.

RIP Mike

7. blackstaRR

blackstaRR Member

From their MySpace page:
    The future of Shadow Gallery

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]From Gary Wehrkamp:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Shadow Gallery will continue. We will finish this record and make it as potent as it can be.
    There are some questions to be answered, but we feel confident we will be provided with the answers.
    The band has read so many of the wonderful heart touching comments, and heard from so many people these past two weeks and we look forward to giving the Shadow Gallery fans our very best, to honor them, and Mike.[/FONT]

8. SharkBlack

SharkBlack Member

No one leaves you
    When you live in their heart and mind
    And no one dies
    They just move to the other side
    When we're gone
    Watch the world simply carry on
    We live on laughing and in no pain
    We'll stay and be happy
    With those who have loved us today

Marillion - Estonia

Carry On Guys and Rest In Peace Mike... You'll always be there in our heart and minds... and ears...

9. forgottenglory

forgottenglory Earth. Soul. Rock n' Roll

That was a total shock to me when I found out. Shadow Gallery is one of my favourite Prog Metal bands. Mike is unique and irreplaceable. Whoever steps up to the mic will have some really big shoes to fill.

10. finalthorn

finalthorn New Metal Member

Not that I ever like to see someone die, or wish them that, but how on earth can anyone actually LIKE Mike Baker's vocals? He was an UNBELIEVIBLY bad singer... sounded like a 6 year old girl half the time. He was ok, as long as he didn't try to go too high or anything, but not a true lead singer, couldn't even sing past about a male high C without breaking into a girlish falseto. Might have made an ok backup singer, or member of a choir, (he did at least sing on pitch). But it's always amazed me how even though all those guys in Shadow Gallery are amazing musicians they somehow actually liked his vocals enough to keep him. Don't get me wrong, it's always sad when someone dies, especially when they are young and it's unexpected like that. But I have to be honest, whoever they get as their new singer will almost for sure be an improvement. His voice has just always sounded fruity to me... I don't get it... sorry...