This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Mike Howe returns to Metal Church!

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by dtfanatic, Apr 30, 2015.

1. dtfanatic

dtfanatic Member

From the Ratpakrecords FB page:

[4/30/2015 - FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE] LEGENDARY METAL CHURCH SINGER MIKE HOWE RETURNS TO THE BAND!

Legendary front-man Mike Howe returns to Metal Church! In the summer of 2014 the band suddenly found themselves in need of a new singer. As fate would have it, Kurdt was already in talks with Mike for another project that he was working on with Saxon drummer Nigel Glockler, so he decided to ask Mike to rejoin Metal Church. Mike agreed, but true to form, didn’t want to make it official until he knew for sure that the integrity of the new material was there. In Mike’s own words, " I didn't want to come back to Metal Church just for nostalgia, it had to be for the right reasons, it had to be the best stuff we’ve ever written together or it just wouldn't be worth it to anyone, especially the fans.” Soon after, Kurdt and Mike began exchanging ideas and writing new material with the band. The end result sounds like “Classic Mike Howe era Metal Church, it’s both heavy and melodic” says guitarist Kurdt Vanderhoof and further states “Mike sounds the same as he did 20 years ago, this is going to be truly epic!!” Drummer Jeff Plate comments, “Mike Howe is the ONLY singer for Metal Church. He has a reputation of complete honor and respect. We can now take Metal Church to the next level!”

Mike Howe originally joined Metal Church in the late 80’s and released 3 albums with the band: “The Human Factor”, “Blessing In Disguise” and “Hanging in the Balance”. Mike was also the face of popular music videos “Date With Poverty” and “Badlands” that aired during MTV’s heyday like”.

The band is currently in the process of working on their new album, which will be released later this year via Rat Pak Records. Metal Church is: Mike Howe (Vocals), Kurdt Vanderhoof (Guitars) Jeff Plate (Drums), Steve Unger (Bass) and Rick VanZandt (Guitars).

2. labrekk

labrekk Member

Great news!!

3. KingsGene

KingsGene God of Thunder

Yes.....Gods of Wrath!

Edit: Oops....I guess that was David Wayne on the first couple albums.

4. Metal66

Metal66 Member

AWESOME!!!

5. VenomGA

VenomGA At War With Stan

game changer!!!! makes them a viable band for the festival now

6. CrimsonEmotions

This is great news. I always felt that Howe was the only true singer of Metal Church, and they were never as good as when he was in front. I'm looking forward to hearing their new stuff, and hopefully seeing this lineup on the road.

7. eppst1

eppst1 Member

8. Comic Book Dude

Comic Book Dude Rockin'

Very cool news! I love the Mike Howe stuff, and it will be very interesting to hear new material with him. I gotta say, though, that Ronny Munroe was an excellent singer for Metal Church...he absolutely nailed the David Wayne vocal vibe. Generation Nothing surprised the crap out of me by being a really great release. More Metal Church!

9. Keir

Keir Member

Best news I've heard in a while! Mike Howe was always my favorite singer in Metal Church (and Heretic).

10. mel_progson

mel_progson Member

Same. I like the David Wayne albums but Mike Howe and the albums he sang on are unreal. Seems most prefer the first 2 which i find odd...

11. Everonn

Everonn Member

The Dark is definitely my favorite record of theirs, but since David Wayne definitely isn't coming back to the band at this point I'm happy to hear that Mike Howe is back.

- Chris

12. J-Dubya 777

J-Dubya 777 It NEVER ends

My sentiments exactly.... Glad I saw them with DW back in the day...

13. SeaStorm

SeaStorm Member

Great news! Ever since Monroe left I've been wondering if this might happen someday. Blessing In Disguise, Human Factor, and Hanging in the Balance are my work soundtrack today \m/

14. Smc316

Smc316 Resident

Was never too crazy about The Dark. A lot of those songs just seem so uninspired and blatantly Accept-worship. *shrug*

But the first Metal Church album and the three Mike Howe albums are all fucking excellent.

Stoked. It went from being a Metal Church tribute band with only one pre-2004 member, to two pre-2004 members making this slightly less tribute band-y. haha

15. Metaldrumz

Metaldrumz Member

LOVE Mike Howe! Heretic - Breaking Point is a classic and a half to me, and love his time in Metal Church as well. So curious as to how he sounds in 2015.