This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Miserably Ever After: The Official Sludge Thread

Discussion in 'General Metal Discussion' started by CiG, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Oblivious Maximus

Oblivious Maximus I am the worm

Seems they're still in a Zulawski mood with a song title like that. The cover art is somewhat reminiscent of the Cosmos poster art.

Regarding Hatebreed/Crowbar, Jasta's been very open about his love for Crowbar. Plus don't forget he's actually in a band with Kirk Windstein, Kingdom of Sorrow which sounds exactly like you'd think it would.

Terasophe likes this.
  2. Terasophe

Terasophe Terra Vitae/Terra Mori

Yeah I almost forgot about Kingdom of Sorrow to be honest. They have a lot of killer stuff and I wish it continued, but Crowbar is Kirks child at this point. He even left DOWN to focus on it.

3. Oblivious Maximus

I've only heard the promo singles from Kingdom of Sorrow and never really felt the need to listen to a full album. Like I said, they sound exactly like Hatebreed crossed with Crowbar. I'm glad Kirk's main focus has been Crowbar for the past few years. It's always been his baby, and not to beat a dead horse, but consistency, man. The break in-between Lifesblood for the Downtrodden and Sever the Wicked Hand did them good, because the later is one of their very best works and Symmetry in Black and The Serpent Only Lies are solid.

4. CiG

CiG The Grand Calculation

I think this is the only Hatebreed album I ever purchased, but I no longer have the CD. ^

I checked out the follow-up album and it's a pretty big drop in quality. This is some seriously uninteresting generic brocore shit.

I wouldn't say I hate it, but it makes me feel absolutely nothing. Like a bowl of cornflakes.

Terasophe likes this.
  5. Terasophe

Oh I feel that. I just dig what Jasta does, even if he sounds pretty generic.

How do you feel about Kingdom of Sorrow? More or less the same?

6. CiG

I've never checked them out before.

7. Terasophe

Well, like Oblivious said above, its quite literally Crowbar and Hatebreed fused. Kirk Windstein and Jamey Jasta teaming up.

Mid era Crowbar sound with Jasta teamed up on vox.

8. Terasophe

Also, I dunno if I have shared these guys yet, but they are my favorite Brocore/Deathcore band that actually has potential and grit with a sludge metal influence.

They have some fucking corny lyrics a lot of the times.

9. CiG

Definitely way better than Hatebreed so far.

Jesus that was pretty awful man. :lol:

Nothing worse than a crap vocalist who dominates the whole mix. Also is the sludge influence supposed to be the slower bits? I don't really hear much if any at all on this particular track.

Need to go listen to Moloch to cleanse the pallet now!

#89 CiG, Apr 19, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    Terasophe likes this.
  10. Terasophe

:lol::lol:

These guys are a guilty pleasure for me. The sludge elements to me come from the guitar tone and the breakdowns have a bit of creeping sludge elements.

The last track of the album though actually pans out pretty well, though its fucking 30 minutes long. TAC doing longer songs fits them much better when they put in the effort (and not mosh/karate riffs)

11. CiG

Dunno man, feels like you're stretching sludge into meaninglessness with that one lmao.

12. Terasophe

A lot of the shit I argue about is pretty meaningless :lol:

On another note, heres something that isnt bullshit brocore

Ive seen Warhorse called sludge but I dont really know if it falls into that or just stoner metal with death vox

And they fucking rule

#92 Terasophe, Apr 19, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  13. Oblivious Maximus

Listening to A Bad Place and having a hard time believing this is from 2018. I'm more inclined to believe it's a previously unreleased recording from mysterious outfit in Oakland in 1996. This is Sludge Metal the way it used to be played.

Make Sludge Hideous Again.

CiG likes this.
  14. Oblivious Maximus

Call them "proto" sludge or noisepunk or whatever you want, Kilslug are absolutely crucial to the development of this stuff. Mike IX from Eyehategod is always quick to acknowledge them as an influence, along with several other Boston bands. Their legacy is all over New England from Upsidedown Cross to Adolf Satan and even Dinosaur Jr. 1986's Answer the Call is essential.

dclxvi1989, Terasophe and CiG like this.
  15. dclxvi1989

dclxvi1989 New Metal Member

Hey man, I play bass in this band so cool as to see some people into it. We've got an EP that should be coming out when we can get our shit together later this year which will be far heavier and slower (think Disembowelment meets 13 'Hollow/Bound' demo).

Here's an underrated record released in the 90's by the other dude from Asbestos Death (re: didn't join Sleep)

CiG and Terasophe like this.
  16. CiG

Sounds insane man, can't wait to hear it.

One of my personal favourites. I shill them any chance I can get.

17. Terasophe

In my adventures to find more bands like Admiral Angry, I came across another Californian slsludge-core band The Abominable Iron Sloth. I dont remember if they have been shared here yet but they have some menacing riffs.

18. Oblivious Maximus

Crowbar album appreciation vol. 3. Lifesblood for the Downtrodden. Very much a dark horse album in their discography and an album that easily disproves the bullshit criticism that all Crowbar albums sound the same. It's definably Kirk and co. providing the classic Crowbar formula, but take some interesting sonic turns along the way. Easily the most melodic Crowbar album, "Coming Down" is the closest thing to a "classic rock" sludge song with Kirk doing clean vocals in a traditional verse-chorus structure. The bass and production were handled by Rex Brown of Pantera and the production makes this one stick out in the Crowbar library. It's unquestionably heavy, but it's also quite raw with a live quality. The guitar and bass really fucking crunch and the live feel give the albums more melodious tracks a cold, eerie quality, especially the haunting "Moon". It's weird sounding, but unique.

So why so little discussion of such a unique sounding album? The album was well promoted. The video for "Dead Sun" got airplay and the band got TV interview exposure. Yet it still seems so under the radar. Sort of like Type O Negative's Life is Killing Me.

CiG likes this.
  19. CiG

20. Terasophe

@CiG , you appreciate the noise-rock era of White Zombie yeah? Well apparently when they canned their old guitarist, he formed a one off band called Angel Rot. It sounds like what White Zombie should have stayed; a noisey cacophony of "My War" riffs with crazy Sabbathian flair. I feel like this could definitely fit into the sludge metal catagory with some thrash metal moments

CiG likes this.