This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Mixing Opportunity for The Empire Shall Fall (ex Killswitch Engage, Jesse Leach vox)

Discussion in 'Practice Room' started by MarcusD777, Feb 8, 2009.

1. MarcusD777

MarcusD777 Member

This mix is def compressed to all hell and back but actually gives it an interesting vibe... Reminds me of Devin Townsend and his crazy mix compression haha... Great drum sounds... Just make sure too put in the double lead vocal for the singing "Rise Up and be counted" parts... Looking forward to the final mix of this...

2. AStudio

AStudio Member

Whats the deadline as ive got a bit of work that i have to finish. Really want to get involved and am mixing at the moment, but any deadline will be good. Cheers Marcus

3. Lasse Lammert

Lasse Lammert HCAF Blitzkrieg

wanna know, too

4. Seizure.

Seizure. Member

5. EdwardPayne

EdwardPayne Member

I think I will try it...
    Just give me a week or something, got some other work to finish first and I don't want to put up something half-finished.. And I guess there's no rush since you don't have the final recording yet?

- horns up -

6. abyssofdreams

abyssofdreams knows what you think.

Yeah, I'm more easy on the compression right now, was quite a bit there haha. Amazing what fresh ears reveal :D

Gonna post soon.

+1 on the deadline question

7. Jesse-punksnotdead

Jesse-punksnotdead I Defy your Logic

I joined to day to just say to all of you who have shown interest & support for The Empire Shall Fall. I am honored that all of you have taken the time to have a go at this! I never thought our pre-pro. demos would sound so good! Marcus showed me this forum & I was truley honored by it so I wanted to show my respects to all of you. I really may not be on this forum frequently moving forward so if you do not see a reply do not be offended. I just wanted to say Thank you to all of you! I hope T.E.S.F. finds it's voice & brings a new sound & energy to music.
    For the love of music, not the "industry" For the message not the fashion...music is life!
    Cheers & Blessings
    Jesse D Leach

8. Machinated

Machinated Member

Cheers Jesse - you are seriously one of my favourite vocalists.

9. Jaymz

Jaymz Stymphalian Productions

Hey Jesse, thanks for your support and good job on the vocals!

10. MarcusD777

MarcusD777 Member

Ok soo the plan is to give everyone who hasn't finished up their mix until Sunday (aka late sunday nite in U.S. Eastern Standard time) to post it up on the site so you have the weekend to work on it... We will then pick a mix we dig the most and put it up on our site with credit and promotion to whoever the mixer was... Then in a couple of weeks we will host up another more heavier\aggressive song and have several of the mixers whose "We The People" mixes we liked most take a crack at it... I know most of you guys have other studio work or jobs as a main priority soo we can discuss and figure out when you will have free time to mix the next song for the guys we like so no one has to bust their ass over it... I'll prob host it back up here again also soo anyone else who wants to get in some extra mix practice can do soo... I figure we should have a solid idea of who we would want or don't want (like this guy --> ¯\(°_o)/¯ How do mix drums? hahaha) to mix the full length at that point...

thanks again guys for all the feedback and time spent mixing... it is much appreciated and hopefully fun for the most part...

- Marcus

11. Jaymz

Jaymz Stymphalian Productions

12. Lasse Lammert

Lasse Lammert HCAF Blitzkrieg

FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK!!!!

I'd loved to apply for this job :(

13. MetalJonesy

MetalJonesy more metal, more booze!!!

im soo busy atm, but ill have a few hours crack at it 2morrow avvo and sat morning, see what i can do with it. probs wont have the time to get anything up by sunday though :(

14. AStudio

AStudio Member

Hey Marcus, Jesse and all

Didn't have too much time to do this rough mix as im busy busy busy but glad to get involved. Some really cool parts to the songs with great ideas.

Anyways please listen to my rough and let me know what you think

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=16992

Id like more time to be honest, but let me know and ill be able to tweak :Smokin:

Enjoy,

15. felipe-x

felipe-x Member

16. lordtech

lordtech Member

I never done anything big like this! but this is a great opportunity for an asian guy like me! hahaha...
    Im getting to like this song! ... and your last saying is really true Jesse... "For the love of music, not the "industry" For the message not the fashion...music is life!"

So marcus, here's my mix: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zekijimzhnm (link updated)

im trying to keep as much natural sound on the drums. Added lil' eq on the vocals. Not much compression to keep its dynamic.
    The track is compressed to an mp3 format, 256kpbs. If u like it i can send the wav format.
    \m/

ps: Ive just listen it with my reference monitor (i was doing the mix thru my headphones last nite. lol), vocals too much upfront in certain time. Will try to edit it again.

17. Erik Monsonis

Erik Monsonis Member

OK, so here's my mix.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/425433/wtp master1 erik.mp3

I kept most of the natural drums, only blended some kick/snare samples in about 40% sample 60% mic to give consistency on hard hits.
    Also mastered keeping some dynamics (goes from -16 to -10 RMS easily) because this song really needs to breathe.
    I'm sorry for the clipping on some vocal tracks, i could do nothing as the dry files were already really distorted.

PS:Now i realise the drums (specially the snare) can be a bit too loud (solved my issue with limiting too well i guess :lol:).

Best wishes!
    -Erik

18. jw009

jw009 Member

Ok, here's my mix. Comparing to all the cool drums with slate samples, mine suck but I'm really happy with the guitar sound. This is a great song by the way and the singer.... You're awesome Jesse!

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7331292

19. Ronnie_Rocker

Ronnie_Rocker Member

i´ll give it a try later today!

20. EdwardPayne

EdwardPayne Member