This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Mixing three of the same speakers with another on a 4x12 cab?

Discussion in 'Backline' started by Rex Rocker, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Rex Rocker

Rex Rocker Call me Hugo!

So I have this Marshall cab with T-75's that sounds pretty good in the room, but I'd love to have a V30 for recording...

... So I wonder if anyone's got a cab that he has 3 of a single kind of speakers in it, and then another, say a V30 that you mic up. Would that sound ok? I assume it'd just sound like a V30 in a 4x12 since I'm close mic'ing, wouldn't it? Or do I get bleed (I'm pretty sure I'd get a little to some extent) from the other speakers and that would sound... bad?

Thanks.

:)

2. RedDog

RedDog Humanoid typhoon

As long as your load is still what is rated by your head, you'll be fine. Watch your wiring so you don't route something out of phase.

3. egan.

egan. daylightdies.com

yeah, just make sure your Ω's match.

4. 53Crëw

53Crëw Member

The V30 will be louder than the T75's. It has a higher sensitivity rating (100 dB as opposed to 97 dB of the T75's.) You'll get some bleed as you back the mic off from the grill. Right up on the grill it may not be much of an issue.

5. Rex Rocker

Rex Rocker Call me Hugo!

Thanks for the replies. :)

Will the difference be very noticeable in the room? Maybe if I load it in either of the bottom slots it will be less noticeable? And if it is noticeable... will that sound like... bad?

Sorry for all the n00bish questions. I just don't see very many people mixing a single V30 in their cab.

6. DullElysium

DullElysium Member

I have two v30's in my 1960a cab. Don't know how one would sound but two sounds great! I put them in the x-pattern.

7. Fredrik-Ablaze

Used to have an ENGL cab like that; one V30 and three V60, worked really good, didnt notice any difference in the room either.