This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

MIXING TIME, SONG3: Complete Feared song inside

Discussion in 'Practice Room' started by Ola Englund, Apr 22, 2010.

1. rockmanxpr

rockmanxpr High Speed Samurai

Here's my latest mix of the song and some info on what I did differently

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4040966/GG LRA mix 7 TS9_421D.mp3

Thanks to the advice of a friend who's an Engineer, I reamped just the Rhythm guitars same setup but this time with a Tube Screamer in the signal line. Setting were Drive=0, Tone=1 o'clock, and Level 1'oclock. Doing this gave it some more punch which in my previous mix had a lack of, one part of the song where just rhythm guitar is happening you can hear it kind of meh during the harmonic palm muting type notes. This mix is much better even though it could use a bit more... Also different is that I used a Sennheiser 421D mic for the center. From there on is pretty much mix everything else where you can hopefully hear everything, cept for bass, that's just not in front....

On the master try I did add some 8 khz just to bring up the high end of the mix...

2. Mikko Vainiala

By ear? It depends. First, I must tell people what I call as "smooth amplification". Its an amp which could get various tones without even speakers/impulses...so if you listen the clip below you realize that the only way dial in those tones is by ear. It takes a good 4-gain stage circuit with few tricks and mods to make it not sound like a chainsaw without speakers. That kinda amp can produce many other amps tones (or recorded tones) easily. I haven't posted clips with actual Smooth amp for a while because its under works. With Jeff's Rose of Sharyn clip I used my modded JMP which is not so smooth, but the whole amp and its raw tone is dialed as EVH-preset. But it can do heavier tones too, like KSE. First I just dial the raw tones close by ear and then start nailing it down. At this point you start making your own impulses or micing the cab. Of course all this without LP/HP. (Never used those in my clips anyway.) End of the ranty revolutionary post.

I have had the better and more accurate 3-channel (Smooth) amp about 6 years now. So long that I'm eventually getting bored and instead cloning pure guitar tones I'm all for trying to get some more instruments right at once with these ongoing mixing practises. Analyzers and meters fits this stuff well. Thanks for understanding. :)

So let me just mess on...I don't care a shit whos tone is appreciated, weak, worse, better or best. I means nothing to me, absolutely nothing. I've spent good moments when nailing pod tones with tube amps. Long live Sex Pistols too (pretty awesome tone there...) There is only so much time in life. Wish somebody will bring me the toolz so I can concentrate making music more. Not that mixing is not fun as such, but still.

3. digitaldeath

digitaldeath Member

I'm looking forward to hearing your comparison clip with my mix Mikko cuz I honestly don't have a clue (nor do I wish to know) what you're actually on about!

4. digitaldeath

digitaldeath Member

Just listened to your comparison. I'm not digging that guitar tone at all.

5. Fragle

Fragle Member

yeah, feel free to do a comparison with my mix too.

6. id3alism

id3alism Member

7. Vendo

Vendo Member

8. FearComplexMusic

9. Mikko Vainiala

Thanks Fragle, not listened all clips yet but I'll check it out. Just everybody remembers its not question about common aesthetical comparisons. I'm just trying to get a quick system to get close to any reference mix and check also how the guitar tone itself will turn out in the the process.

Today I made brutal test using random pod impulses with my reamped guitar. (Sounded horrible...) Then I throwed the raw mix through a preset and got pretty good results. Here's short snippet from Mago's original clip.

10. ahjteam

ahjteam Anssi Tenhunen

11. Vendo

Vendo Member

That booming sound sounds really really cheap :D. i also think the vocals don´t really fit in the mix. they are too loud, too.

Regards

12. ahjteam

ahjteam Anssi Tenhunen

Call it radio mix :D But yeah, it's a bad habit of mine that comes from FOH mixing. (edit: on a second thought, compared it to All That Remains, Lamb of God and Killswitch Engage mixes and the vocals were about as loud in them)

13. James-Doolan

James-Doolan Member

Just using the stock delays in cubase 4 Niall

14. Limak

Limak Member

15. shogger

shogger Member

Interesting. Some good elements in there. You're the friend of the clangy bass, right? :) Personally I think that the clang of the bass is too loud compared to the guitars. But I'm a guitarist, so ... :kickass:
    Guitars are generally cool, a bit boxy and muffled.
    Your master compressor is pumping.
    If all things would be more gelled together this could be a cool mix.

Shogger

16. Vendo

Vendo Member

Why isn´t anyone saying something about my mix? does it sound that bad?!

17. P-E

P-E Munchkin

18. ahjteam

ahjteam Anssi Tenhunen

Well, thats how it was delivered: very clangy. I actually didn't even took notice of the unintentional Fieldy-esquee bass sound until Ermz pointed about it. I did nothing major to get it really:

- just a bit of RBass at 80hz to get the low end extension
    - a 4:1 compressor with 50ms attack and release with 3-7dB attenuation just to even out the volume
    - four band eq (low pass at 8khz, highpass at 30hz, and two wide cuts at -7dB @ 450hz and -3dB @1.7khz)
    - a peak limiter to cut out the sudden volume peaks. usually cuts 0dB, sometimes cuts ~2-5dB from a quick peak

Yeah, I'm not happy with the guitarsound either, Couldn't bother to re-setup the guitar amp so I did them with podfarm (Solo 100 head), so that might explain why they suck :Smug: I also found it really hard to make the extra guitar to sound good, so I just buried it in the mix and added a lot of reverb to make it sound more distant.

The master compressor was intentionally only pumping at the subdrops. I did some readjustments (dropped vocals and subdrops by 6dB, cut between 700-1khz region from the rhythm guitars, cut the clang on the bass and changed the gclip settings on the snare) and the mix now sounds like this:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1338211/feared_ahjteam-03.mp3 (solo 100)
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1338211/feared_ahjteam-04.mp3 (threadplate)

19. iraobryan

iraobryan Member

I made another attempt at mastering this, to see if that was the problem with my first post. After tweaking a bit I discovered some things I definitely want to fix in the mix.

So what do you guys think, is this better or worse than the first version I posted?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3413585/Feared Master2.mp3

20. Ola Englund

Ola Englund Only gay in the village

Anssi, I really dig the Korn bass guitar!!! Awesome work.