This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Mixing with your ears, not your eyes.

Discussion in 'F.O.H.' started by jhrv, Oct 23, 2009.

1. jhrv

jhrv Member

Some of you have tried to mix ITB with your eyes closed? Not all the time, I mean equalizing, checking tracks levels, etc.

I did it today and WOW!, the difference was huge. My mix went from being amateur to something more professional. It makes sense, I know, but I didn't know that the difference would be so huge, at least for me.

Sorry if I have errors in some words, I'm not very good with English.

2. GarethSE

GarethSE New Metal Member

When I get a control surface it's definately gonna become a force of a habit. My ideal workflow would be candles, lights off, a couple of bowls, hands on faders.. And that's what I'm working towards.
    I now go through every track and ride the faders in my DAW with automation writing live then tidy it up afterwards, but nothing really compares to having faders at your actual fingertips.

3. Nebulous

Nebulous Daniel

I'm sure there was a thread about this liek a week ago. Either way, it's good to get peoples input on it.
    I find myself using my eyes sometimes, so I make a habit of either listening with my sight focused just below the screen, or close my eyes once in a while.

It's good to get into the habit of not relying on your DAW/ sight interperetation when mixing. It makes it much easier after a while IMO (after abit of practice) so that you can still be looking at the screen but have enough focus with your ears.

That's especially important for EQ IMO. You need to be able to see to ensure you're adjusting the correct thing, but also need to keep focus on the sound. It's too easy to butcher the mix otherwise.

I also find that for general levels the advice that was given to me afew years ago is something I always do: turn your monitors/ master level right down untill you can only just hear it; whisper level. It gives a great veiw into what is being drowned out and what is too loud.
    I love being able to do that to a mix the first time and every major element is still audible.

Give it a try with one of your favourite CD's. It's amazing how much things still cutting through at such a low level.

4. drew_drummer

drew_drummer Dancefap

Kudos to you man!

5. ze kink

ze kink THE BLACK WIZARDS

I always mix at a low level, and only after I'm finished doing that, I crank it to see how it behaves. Almost every time I don't really change anything, sometimes I might change the low end a little bit. I find that if I monitor loud, it's much harder for me to mix. It feels like I can't concentrate to the details as easily, whereas if it's not that loud, I can "switch" my focus between smaller things and the overall mix. I don't mean I listen at whisper level though.

Can't say I close my eyes or anything while I mix. I don't use my eyes for mixing anyway. I sometimes do it when I'm listening to the final mix though, most often with headphones and the lights turned off.

6. doclegion

doclegion Contagious Destruction

Of course
    The only way i close my eyes while mixing is if im gettin dome at the same time then my mixes tend to come out a little wet hahahah

seriously tho? never

7. GarethSE

GarethSE New Metal Member

:heh:
    just who is maurice? haha

8. myownsilence

myownsilence The Influenced

Gorden Brown runs the UK like this except he aint listening either.