This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

I Want You!

Join Symphony X and discover tons of other great Metal forums, sign up today!

MJR's opinion about nu-metal

Discussion in 'Symphony X (Unofficial)' started by karelrulez, Mar 24, 2003.

1. PoisonSeed

PoisonSeed Grin

2. DoomsdayZach

DoomsdayZach The Professor was right

3. claudeRichard

claudeRichard Person

Nu-metal doesn't come close to annoying me more than techno.

4. raythetse

raythetse Where am I?

yes there is somethign wrong with you aassuming there is no nu-metal that will interest you, and that is simply the fact that you don't know until you've heard it all, its just that simply, and its really irrefutable.

In fact I won't give you one good reason why you should waste time going on some epic search to find the one gem in a million nu-metal bands... I don't think you should, and i never said you should, i just said you shouldn't judge them until you've heard them. Until you've heard them, its all you can justify to simply have no opinion on them whatsoever. And I totally agree that you should invest in seeking out great talent in genres that you find more agreeable, but this isn't at all about what you listen to, or what you SHOULD listen to, its about how you've judged what you haven't listened to.

no on easked you to write a review, but you judged ALL nu-metal without experiencing it. This is just plain prejudice, duh.

And I understand everything you've said, I just find it very disagreable, and honestly, it shows that you really don't understand my point, so I'm going to try to sum it up in one sentence for you.

While generalizations may point you into a new direction, they also leave you in the dark as to what lies alone the paths and the at the ends of other directions, and thus you can't be certain what you are missing out on.

You know its kinda funny because we clearly agree on many things, but I just don't honestly think we are debating the same topic anymore, its become quite diluted, and you seem only concerned with telling me you hate nu-metal as a whole.

5. raythetse

raythetse Where am I?

see you've missed the point again SR. I DON'T WANT YOU TO GO EXPERIENCE ALL THAT NU-METAL HAS TO OFFER!

And your right, i've been running circles around the opposition since this debate began.

i just don't think its necessary nor justifiable to prejudge that which you have not heard based on what you HAVE heard. That is the essence of racism, and many other flaws with our society. And yes, we are all entitled to our opinions, like Hitler figured Jews were some sort of bane on civilation and had to be exterminated because some of them happened to be good businessmen and put a few gentiles out of business.

And I am NOT trying to convert people into Nu-Metal fans... if you look back, I have said several times that I have not heard much Nu-Metal that I particulary liked, nor do I seek out Nu-Metal bands to listen to.

I infact agreed with zach that it would be better for me to look for bands that associate with other genres that have proven more entertaining to me, such as prog-rock/metal, jazz, and some classical stuff. I just won't judge the unknown as witchcraft until I see some evidence supporting that conclusion.

6. DoomsdayZach

A few things.

1) Nu-metal is witchcraft. Those fuckers.

2) I must admit that i find it incredibly ironic that i'm writing long, essay length posts detailing exactly why i think generalities are ok. Much lulz.

3)

[​IMG]

*Outstreaches arms*
    C'mere ray, give me a hug. no, seriously... hugz.

7. raythetse

raythetse Where am I?

you seem to be mocking me, but i don't really have anything personal against you so I won't take this stand off outside this thread, but I'm not gonna hug you, I have no idea where you've been, or if you've bathed.:p

as for your first comment, wow... anyway that basicly shows me its not worth debating with you anymore so I hereby retire from this thread regardless of whether or not I finally got through to you folks.

8. SilentRealm

SilentRealm Member

refer to off-topic thread about zachs current case of headlice :lol:

honestly i dont even read 90% of the posts here, i scroll through em to find the shortest reply and scan it to see if its the same as the others.. usually it is :lol:

9. SilentRealm

SilentRealm Member

about kenneth - yeah but he is cute and actually intelligent.. id still marry him :oops:

10. DoomsdayZach

i actually wasn't mocking you in the least. Even you have to admit that nu-metal is something unholy, and not in the awesome black metal way.

This is a post on teh intarnet, so it will lack all inflection. oh well, take my word. I got nothing personal either. Like i said, it's the internet, and my arguements are purely for something to keep me entertained. You're a good sport, though COMPLETELY wrong :lol:

Oh kay oh kay, i'll be good.

11. crapola

crapola Member

OH MY GOD!!!!!! according to wikipedia i own some nu metal cd's (coal chamber, disturbed, godsmack). shit, i should go out and shoot myself but that would be a waste of a perfectly good bullet. does that mean you all hate me now?

12. progmetaldan

progmetaldan Member

:worship: :worship: An excellent point my friend!!! :kickass: :kickass:

Techno is an abomination on the art of music...

Yep. :D

13. karelrulez

karelrulez Member

wtf? I'm rarely visiting this forum anymore and now I do.. and I see some thread I made in 2003 resurrected? Crazy folks! :loco:

anyway, back when I created that thread I didn't like nu-metal one bit. Now I realise not everything is that bad:

Sevendust
    Disturbed
    Sepultura/Soufly

I'm NOT listing System of a Down, Tool or Fear Factory because they're way too original to be called nu-metal.

14. Taliwakker

Taliwakker .....

KR wrote
    Keeping in the spirit of generalisation i see Kenneth.

15. PoisonSeed

PoisonSeed Grin

discrepancy detected mr Kenneth, you're failing your exams.

16. SilentRealm

SilentRealm Member

about techno - i actually dont hate it.. proper techno that is, not the shitty house music they try to pass of as it in most clubs..not that i would buy it or even listen to it in my own time, but when i hear it i can appreciate it.. its not like metal, youre not supposed to look for intricacies in it, or be awed over the musicianship.. its designed to just 'feel' the beat and move your body to it.. why its popular in drug circles..

17. Phanto

Phanto Alalalalalalalala.

I think you're thinking about Trance

18. SilentRealm

SilentRealm Member

^ no im not.. trance is also popular in drug circles though..

EDIT: trance i dont like though.. excuse me.. ive never heard any trance that ive liked yet.. just doesnt seem to be anything really to it..

19. DoomsdayZach

kind of like drone doom. horrible music. some people swear by it though so... good for them.

back when i was in high school many years ago, i was THE nu metal kid. Not proud of it, but i was way into korn, limp bizkit (i even had the red fred durst yankees hat), kid rock.... ugh.

20. Matt

Matt Active Member

I used to like Kid Rick also. Some of those songs are still okay.