This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Mobo/cpu/ram combo?

Discussion in 'Backline' started by Terminus, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Terminus

Terminus Member

Looking to finally get some oomph out of my box and I'm wondering where I should start on these three things. I have an 8 year old mobo/cpu/ram setup now and it's really showing it's age now. Anyone care to shed some light on what's decent in the area of PC builds? I run Win7 and have a somewhat newer Radeom HD video card. Not running SLI or 2 video cards. I'm pretty behind on this shit. :lol:

2. Drummerrrrr?

Drummerrrrr? Member

What's your focus? Gaming/Media prod? Do you have a budget?

3. P-E

P-E Munchkin

I just built a new studio PC about 6 months ago. Got myself an i7-4790K CPU overclocked at 4.5 GHz, 32GB RAM and a rock-solid ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2. Pretty expensive, but it's gonna be good for a few years and the motherboard is backed with the best warranty I could find while still being on the reasonable side of things (ie staying in LGA 1150 chipset while not paying bonus for unnecessary features).

I'd suggest getting a good SSD for your system drive (Samsung 840 Evo has a good price/quality ratio AFAIK), at least a current generation i5 overclockable CPU, 16 to 32GB RAM if you're using VST instruments regularly, and a motherboard backed with good reviews and a good warranty.

4. sprack

sprack Thread Killer

5. Terminus

Terminus Member

I guess both but mostly just doing music production. Budget is around 200-250 for each, I don't need the bleeding edge of technology but I do want something decent.

6. AD Chaos

AD Chaos MGTOW

Pony up and go with the latest consumer chipset, X99 (Haswell-E) platform:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007671 600535697

The cheapest one goes for $390; $200 per component is a bit too tight (imo), but still doable.
    You could get a regular X97 Haswell i5 and DDR3 for around that price.