This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

MoS vinyl

Discussion in 'Theocracy' started by Nyx74, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Nyx74

Nyx74 The new old guy

Dropped a question at the FB whether a vinyl version of Mirror Of Souls (full album) would ever see the light of day! Anyone else waiting for this? After purchasing ATWB, Picture Disc and WoS, this one is still missing! ;)

2. BM

BM Member

3. Nyx74

Nyx74 The new old guy

Correct, that re-issue is often referred to as the "Picture Disc".

4. Nyx74

Nyx74 The new old guy

Just bumping this one to the top ;) I would still love to have the MoS album on vinyl (a coloured one to be exact ;) )

5. dudu

dudu Member

I have the picture disc, and like other colored vinyl I have it sounds inherently mediocre. I also have the ATWB on black vinyl and it sounds better but is nothing special.

The quality control of modern pressing plants seems to be pretty bad. ATWB came slightly warped. A few years ago I purchased a Norah Jones album on vinyl and I had to return it three times to get a copy that did not skip.

6. Aletheus

Aletheus Member

Norah Jones?
    And you haven't changed your mind even after three times returning it?

7. matt schrauben

matt schrauben Curse You All Men!

Picture discs generally sound mediocre due to the fact it isn't a solid piece of vinyl. It's two pieces of vinyl put together with a picture jammed in the middle. Colored vinyl on the other hand has no disadvantages over black vinyl. In fact, vinyl is naturally clear so black vinyl is technically colored.

I have colored vinyl that sounds infinitely better than some of the black vinyl I have and vice versa. It's all about gram size and pressing quality, with first pressing generally being better. A couple of examples would be my Extol album on 180 gram white vinyl. Probably the best sounding vinyl I have, and has almost 0 surface noise. And I have Deafheaven's "Sunbather" album on 2LP colored vinyl. It's not even 180 gram and it sounds impeccable.

Edit: Wow, that's ridiculous about that Norah Jones album. Luckily I haven't had any issues with pressings I've bought, and I hope it stays that way.

8. Nyx74

Nyx74 The new old guy

After two years, I reckon this one could use a reboot. Also because the vinyl business is booming and vinyl quality is becoming better and better.