This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Music listening: Frenchuary and other themed months

Discussion in 'GMD Social Forum' started by Onder, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Onder

Onder Gegen unendlich

Heya kind folks.

Since there's so much shit to listen to and never enough time, I thought some focus needs be applied. Hence my creation of themed months. I intend to have a clearly defined focus for my listening for each month starting now. It is not the first time I attempted to apply some system into my music listening - I remember doing shit like focusing solely on finnish death metal demos from some period of time and things like that. I found it makes one explore the area more thoroughly and it's basically a way of discovering new music.

Last year I did stuff like Italian month, I think it was March, when I listened mostly to Italian contemporary composers, then I did a month when I focused mostly on John Cage - he's a composer I'd been neglecting before and a one whose body of work calls for at least a month of listening. Then I think I did a month of listening mostly to one label, etc etc.

I find these really satisfying. Has anybody ever tried something like that?

This year I'm doing Frenchuary (frech classical, mostly modern), only Stockhausen - some other month, and then a label I wanted to do for a while - NEOS.

I think I should do a NWN productions only metal month some time.

Maybe let's talk about how we organize our listening time and shit like that? Dunno.

zabu of nΩd likes this.
  2. HamburgerBoy

HamburgerBoy Active Member

I don't do this except on the scale of a day or two, because I'm kind of an impulsive listener and just go for whatever I feel that I'm in the mood for. Not shitting on the idea though.

3. CiG

CiG Zen Arcade

Sounds fun. Closest thing to this that I do is focusing on whatever year the GMD Top Ten Poll game is on. A good chunk of this month will be spent on non-metal from 1989 for example.

4. Bloopy

Bloopy Active Member

The majority of my listening goes towards coming up with some kind of list, eg. ranking for a poll thread or making a playlist or whatever. But I don't put any deadline on myself other than the ones the threads already have. Currently listening to non-metal from 1989 myself, and before that I was catching up on metal from 2016 since that was the O.G. top ten thread which I didn't do a list for yet.

My overall top 3 on Last.fm have quite a disproportionate lead, so sometimes I binge on the discographies of other favourite bands in an attempt to help them catch up.

At some point I'm gonna revisit ranking my top favourite songs. I did it once but beyond about 30th place it started to get a bit approximate. It's weird listening to one song I like and then another and finding it nigh on impossible to decide which one I like more. It's even weirder that 3 years later I have just 5 more songs to mix into the list. I should binge listen to potential candidates and see which ones grow on me.

CiG likes this.
  5. no country for old wainds

j-pop january
    futurism febuary
    minimalism march
    avant-folk april
    musique concrete may
    jug band june
    jangle pop july
    adult contemporary august
    soukyoko september
    oi! october
    NSBM november
    darkstep december

Terasophe, CiG and Onder like this.
  6. Onder

Onder Gegen unendlich

This is hardcore mode. Maybe in 2021.

7. Oblivious Maximus

Oblivious Maximus I am the worm

Never done a "themed" month but what I've been doing of late is full, or close to it depending on what's out there, discography breakdowns. So many bands I like but there are major gaps in my listening and so far this has proven to be a rewarding venture.

8. CiG

CiG Zen Arcade

Your favourite part of the year?

9. HamburgerBoy

HamburgerBoy Active Member

They do NSBM November on /mu/ iirc

10. zabu of nΩd

zabu of nΩd Free Insultation

I'm trying to think of how we could turn this idea into a series of album ranking polls, since the band/year polls have been such a great discovery resource for me, and it'd be nice to keep a stream of polls going after we "run out" of years and well-known bands.

I'm especially interested in a recommendations-oriented series of polls, i.e. something like this:
    1. Each participant requests a recommendation (i.e. "I want an album that sounds like X").
    2. OP compiles the requests into a list, and each participant must recommend an album for each request in the list.
    3. Everyone gets a month to listen to the albums submitted for their own request (as many or as few as they want), and to award a "like" to whichever albums satisfied their request.
    4. When all the "likes" are submitted, the OP posts a list of the "liked" albums, along with a leaderboard showing the number of likes each forum member got. If the game survives for multiple rounds, the leaderboard could be carried over as a cumulative total for all rounds. One lucky member will be crowned the Master of Recommendations!
    Thoughts?

Terasophe and CiG like this.
  11. CiG

CiG Zen Arcade

I think you're optimistic about the state of this site. The 2019 Mixtape Game is dead as fuck and that was easy, just submit a song from 2019 lmao. If someone does it I'd obviously join in though, it sounds interesting at least.

zabu of nΩd likes this.
  12. zabu of nΩd

zabu of nΩd Free Insultation

I hear you there, and I don't necessarily have high hopes for it. One advantage over the mixtape game though is that my idea guarantees each person gets to listen to something relevant to their interests, whereas with the mixtape game one person might pick a theme that others don't like.

13. Bloopy

Bloopy Active Member

Sounds quite wacky and convoluted at first but I like the idea and would probably participate. Maybe "like" could be split into two levels: 2 points if you like the album enough to desire listening to it a 2nd time, or 1 point if you at least liked it enough not to switch it off partway through.

zabu of nΩd likes this.
  14. Onder

Onder Gegen unendlich

Related meme I randomly found.

hehe jazz.jpg

Terasophe and CiG like this.