This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

My Arms, Your Hearse - Better than SL and BWP?

Discussion in 'Opeth (Archived)' started by Ninfix, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Xarthaz

Xarthaz Member

Yes, that is true.[​IMG]

2. Chinese Whispers

It certainly has an atmosphere and feel to it that no other Opeth album has and I think that helps it stick out somewhat.

3. naboo

naboo Just Ask The Axis

I'd sat My Arms is the most coherent Opeth album. It really feels complete. Though I do believe that trilogy of albums are all Opeth's highlights (and I was a Morningrise lover for the longest time... still a great album.

4. Solarrain4

Solarrain4 New Metal Member

MAYH is a damn good Opeth album, as all of their albums are, but I say Still Life owns all other Opeth releases. I like every Opeth album, but just as everyone else here, some not so much as others.

5. 4speedmetal

4speedmetal Member

Listening to MAYH while surfing the net. Swung into ultimate metal, saw this thread, turned up music, wife came in from livingroom, looked at me and closed the door.

This album freakin rocks!!!!!

6. Dammnare

Dammnare Member

This.

7. Iki-ilkkuja

Iki-ilkkuja Member

When I listen to MAYH, I just can help myself from feeling that I'm listening to a melodic death metal band, not a progressive one.

8. Xadeas

Xadeas im eatin ur puncakez

MAYH pwnz

9. Katatonic89

Katatonic89 Member

+1

10. Korlich

Korlich So Judah fucked it up

Shut up you fucking hippie :heh: Fact is Opeth used to be more album writing than song writing, but now it´s all about the induvidial songs. What does that mean? It means that songs like TLE and GOP are better songs in themselves than any song pre GR. On the other hand the wholeness of GR and WS is missing because each individual song goes in so many diff directions. If you tend to listen to albums as entities, you will prefer pre GR. If you see albums as a collections of songs that doesnt have to be related you will like GR and WS more.

11. Blue Moon

Blue Moon Staring at the Sun

I always chuckle when I realize that Still Life and MAYH are, along Watershed, my least favorite Opeth albums :D

12. Godhead59

Godhead59 Dim Sam

MAYH is very different from SL and BWP. It's an excellent record which has amazing quality of songwriting and atmosphere, yet ultimately I think it falls a bit short of SL and BWP.

13. Lateralus14

Lateralus14 New Metal Member

Great post, where all posts before it threw out ridiculous statements like "MAYH > all" and "MAYH has an atmosphere and others don't so it wins," this post is about as true as an album opinion can get. MAYH isn't my favorite album by a longshot but I'll admit I'd prefer it over most of them if I haad to sit down and listen to an album all the way through, and in order. Whereas you probably have some pretty outlandish definition of songwriting if you think April Ethereal or The Amen Corner demonstrates better songwriting abilities than Heir Apparent or Harlequin Forest. These statements are still opinionated, but considering individual MAYH songs are so often basic chords and octaves played together but together share much more of a link than say, Hours of Wealth and The Grand Conjuration, these opinions seem pretty accurate compared to opinions like "stfu all mayh is opeth's best i bet mike agrees kthxbai"

14. BriGreentea

BriGreentea Member

Good album. I don't know if it is better then those two albums but my problem with it is the production on it is pretty bad. Not the best quality sound and the eq mix and volume level is poor. Unless they wanted it to sound like this but even the first album production wise sounds better.

15. Lenni

Lenni Member

I think MAYH sounds way better, than the first two albums AND Still Life. It has this certain... thickness and the drums are in-your-face if you know what I mean.

16. Iki-ilkkuja

Iki-ilkkuja Member

Well, Lopez played a lot better on the later Opeth albums, especially on Ghost Reveries. And the drums are badly mixed.

17. Ninfix

Ninfix Gamer of life

I think Lopez kind of played differently on the latest albums(deliverance, damnation and GR) than the previous ones. I think drummers here would agree with me? I mean, his fills on the earlier albums are so great, where he does all kinds of varied splash-tom-effectcymbal-mixfills that really kicks ass.(Ex: Intro of Serenity Painted Death, the different part of Godheads Lament, Bleak) This kind of playing has changed on Ghost Reveries, Deliverance and Damnation. Example: His drumming on Beneath The Mire is much more jazzy than on the earliest albums, and his playing is a bit different. I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying I think he changed some of his approach in drumming when he played in Opeth.(especially on the mellow parts)

Am I making any sense here?

18. Chinese Whispers

I'd agree with that. I felt that perhaps with Damnation/Deliverance his style changed as you have explained and probably freed himself up a bit, but certainly doesn't have the same intensity as the eralier albums he played on. Both periods are great, but they are certainly different.

19. 4speedmetal

4speedmetal Member

Makes a lot of sense. Lopez used his jazzy side on the later albums big time. The flips and blips and fills were perfect imo. He plays soft like a jazz drummer, but has a huge sound. Absolute perfection. The drumming more than compliments the music. It added a demention of complexity that makes ex-drummers like me sick, knowing I can never reach his level. :worship:

20. Sefeed

Sefeed Member

MAYH is my least favorite album of them all. Talk about boring as balls.