This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

My latest record! Elm Street - Barbed Wire Metal (for you old-school guys!)

Discussion in 'Andy Sneap' started by Ermz, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Ermz

Ermz ¯\(°_o)/¯

Hey guys,

The full record is launching on April 8th, but for now the band have put up the opener and single from the record. This definitely isn't the kind of metal that normally flies around here, so I thought it might be interesting to put up for a change.

You can hear it here: http://www.myspace.com/metalelmstreet

Due to extenuating circumstances the record doesn't quite sound 100% as I planned, but I think it still works well enough!

Thanks to Plec for the mastering job, as per usual!

2. Donovan S.

Donovan S. Member

This sounds great. Love the bass and guitars especially.

3. AllanD

AllanD boom tap boom-boom tap

Super middy guitar ftw. What's the guitar info?

4. demirichris

demirichris Member

Was this another soldano remamp? Sounds great as always, really want to hear this in a higher quality...however, it sounds great even on myspace.

5. joelplagues

joelplagues Member

Ermz as usual, really great work.

Snare is SLAMMING!. definitely want to here details about that one :)

6. Melb_shredder

Melb_shredder Orpheus: Melodic Death

Wow! That came out really good dude, I'm loving almost all of it. Only thing.. that solo tone.. that's something I really don't like in this one at all. But that's not really going to detract from anything too badly for me :p

7. AllanD

Listening again, I've found something that I have noticed about all your mixes. The kick always seems to be covered, it sounds like the low end is mostly from the bass and the kick is just that extra slap that comes in here and there. Do you think that kicks shouldn't be as present as the bass?

8. Empathy

Empathy Bulging Member

Oh goddamn, this is awesome! Definite purchase!

9. JonWormwood

JonWormwood Member

thank god badass metal for once with badass tone

10. Clockwork

Clockwork Bass playing guy.

This is awesome. Really great job!

11. Ermz

Ermz ¯\(°_o)/¯

Sweet, thanks for listening!

@AllanD & Demichris: Yes this was the Soldano reamp. Eddy Apolonia (the guy with the insane studio here) did the guitar reamps (apart from the main bass, which I did). The rhythms are Jackson USA Rhoads /w JB > Tubescreamer > SLO100 > Mesa Oversize. The leads are some Ibanez into... if I recall, Eddy said his Custom Audio head, which then went into a Bogner cab. It was hard to make the Soldano work on the faster stuff. They're rock amps, as you guys know, so they tend to squish and mud out under chugging. I think it gives the record a unique flavor though - you don't normally find an amp like that used on music like this.

@joel: I mixed this two weeks ago, yet go figure I actually forgot what I did with the snare. I don't think it differs much from my usual thing. It would be a combination of a fair amount of the raw snare (Black Beauty), along with a few Slates. I think I would have used Slate Snare and possibly Dan snare on this one.... the low, fat ones. Then mixed that up with some other misc. samples I have on hand, and also used SD2.0 but ONLY FOR THE ROOM this time... which was interesting, but worked out exactly as I intended! I used the Rogers Wood to key the room sounds, and create a really high 'kah!' type reverb wash, and mixed that in with the much lower direct snares. Other than that, this was the first project I used Duende on, so all my usual SSL channel instances were replaced with it. Finally, I hit the resulting frankensnare with the DBX160, which gives it the crazy snap.

@Chris: Well you worked on the Ibanez, so you know what sort of tone that pickup produces. Mix that with older strings, and there you have the resulting lead/solo tone. Aaron has a great wah pedal though, and the solos run through it tend to get a nice tone quality boost, so it's not all like this one. I think this song in particular seemed to be negatively affected the most by the guitar/strings. The others are mostly okay!

@Allan: Not necessarily. In some cases like the Orpheus and Untruth records I did want the bass dominant, but in this case not so much. On my mixes of this record the kick punches through enough. It's one of those things that can sometimes get lost in mastering, with the loss of headroom. Then again, listening to it here, the kick doesn't seem that lost for music this fast. How low does your playback system reproduce? The kick punch is fairly low, so it likely won't seem as strong on a more bandwidth-limited speaker system.

12. AllanD

KRK bottoms out at 50hz, more than likely is the case then. None the less, great job on this new record, sounds good!

13. Skyweaver

Skyweaver Shred or Die !

really dig the tone and production on this guys vocals, excellent, excellent work on the vocals

14. kvoid

kvoid Member

The production is great and this band kills but I hate the singing style. Moar Yobbo would have been better, like them Aussie blackthrashers.

15. Nebulous

Nebulous Daniel

kvoid, you'd love them live if the vocals sound too polished here :lol:

Well done Ermz. I think it came out well considering ....well, you know my thoughts.

16. Williamn

Williamn Member

semi-horrible music (or said in a nicer way.. not really my taste of music.).
    But the production is solid.

Good job ermz once again ! :)

17. Ermz

Ermz ¯\(°_o)/¯

Haha, I understand, it's not for everyone. The way I always like to think in these situations is... 'at least it's not deathcore!'.

Cheers for the feedback guys. We spent a long time on the vocals, and the vocalist has come a long way in a fairly short span of time, so it's quite good for them. The vocal chain was exemplary, and the vocal was really fun to mix as a result of that.

@Dean: I thought you might! Pretty intense process. Line-by-line recording, the entire thing double-tracked the whole way through. We did the In Malice's Wake record the same way - which I'm mixing right now, and it's proven to be quite fun vocally too!

One thing I'm kinda proud of here (apart from our 100% tracking job the entire way through with insane gear) is managing to keep the bass up front almost all the time. It's a very important element to many of the other songs on the CD, and plays melodies crucial to the music. The idea was to do an Iron Maiden type thing where the bass is right up there but.... not gay and twangly.

18. Jaymz

Jaymz Stymphalian Productions

Haha this is awesome, great music aswell! \m/

19. Charles J

Charles J New Metal Member

not my cup at all musically but the mix is fucking amazing..... as per your usual style...!

20. Teddyboy

Teddyboy Member

Congratulations Ermz! How did you find Duende? Does it actually worth the hype against the Waves?