This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

My stepfather asked why I will not fly any longer

Discussion in 'The Philosopher' started by Fenrisúlfr, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Fenrisúlfr

Fenrisúlfr ὁ δύσκος λύκος

...here is why. I have read enough of TSA abuses on flights that I will do my part to make sure the country's bankrupt airlines stay that way. What use is first-class if all classes get hassled by these over-paid, dim-witted goons set in motion by a government more than willing to capitalize upon the paranoia of the proles? Frankly, why those who consider themselves free people would allow themselves to be subjected to such treatment is beyond me, but then again, they only think themselves free.

I may have to make an exception in the event of exigent circumstances, but only if it is the only option available.

I have not had a single problem with anyone on a train; may it stay that way.

2. Blowtus

Blowtus Member

Can you tell us what *you* mean by free? I take issue with all the bullshit security because it does not seem that any substantial gain in positive liberty is gained from the loss of negative.

3. Fenrisúlfr

Methinks the 4th amendment hints at a few qualifications.

4. razoredge

razoredge Member

I can understand the grievance, at the same time I can understand the security but am not surprised its flawed. The security is not within the realms of unreasonable.

As for the author, I would suggest he spend some time at the gym or hiking if he's that big of a clod. Furthermore the statement about there not being any jets flown into tall buildings in 7 years therefore no threat is obsurd. We were blessed with metal detectors in the 70's because those wack jobs would hyjack a plane everytime they got their turbans bunched up in their crack. Then 30 years went by, and....

I'd be in favor of exporting the entire species from the country, along with the Bush adminstration, what the hell, take the entire House and Senate while your at it. It would still be a lower number than the jobs that have been exported. Two problems solved. {surely no more obsurd than refusing to fly and wishing the airlines bust because they check your shoes}

5. BlackMetalWhiteGuy

BlackMetalWhiteGuy Manly Man!

The airlines aren't going to do anything about it until somebody opens a competing airline that does a better job and threatens their business.

6. razoredge

razoredge Member

Im not sure here, isnt all this security mandated ? AND - Hasnt the airline business already back stabed itself with the "competition" train of thought ?

7. Fenrisúlfr

That is the problem with the industry; they are regulated to death on the one hand, and most of the horrible US airlines are in bankruptcy because they could not compete to begin with, but are allowed to operate anyway, thus crowding out newer players. This is what happens when a country turns its back on free markets: shit happens.

By the way, where they do allow limited competition, even in communist Europe, prices decrease and the quality of the service increases. In the UAE, I have heard good things about the cost of the airlines, especially considering I can fly from NY to Dubai on Qatar Airways for $1'200, or less than 1,25 oz. gold.

In the meantime, I'll tinker with this thing