This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Mystery Update

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by Harvester, Jan 20, 2011.

1. nailz

nailz Member

My guess is that it has to be a band outside of the general scope of Prog or Power or maybe even on the very edges of metal itself. Also, it'd have to be a band Glenn digs because, you know, inner fanboy stuff.

I hope it's Trivium.

#101 nailz, Jan 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  2. nomisofsiman

nomisofsiman Member

While I do like Trivium, I highly doubt it would be them. Besides the fact that they would have to headline, the problem is that their already a pretty polarizing band and putting them in progpower is a bad idea.

3. compurocker

compurocker rocking out

Don't forget the hints, guys.

It would be an exclusive. (rules out Nevermore and likely several others)
    It would be something that excites people beyond our own forum.
    It would affect the upper portion of the roster.
    Some of you will truly understand just how special it is and that it only would happen at ProgPower USA. (This one's a real kicker and makes me think a one-off reunion or all-star show of some sort; perhaps it's an American band but one member is currently in an ashram in Nepal that Glenn didn't know about, and that's the unforseen expense)
    Some of you will hate it and not bother to watch.
    Some of you will just think..well..that's cool..but I could take it or leave it.

Also, I seem to recall something from the very first post about this (before the unforseen expenses), for some reason this one didn't require/warrant any blind sponsorships, just small donations. I don't recall if Glenn stated a reason for this. Was it just that he didn't think it would cost as much, before the unforseen expenses? Could it be another possible clue, or just a different circumstance, given that people have their double-sponsorships left over from last year and maybe there's no room to offer any extra sponsorships this year.

The unforseen expenses could be another clue, but I can't really imagine too many possibilities there. If Glenn hadn't thought of it, I certainly won't. lol.

4. booB

booB Señor Member

Don't forget the aforementioned "old people with money". :lol:

5. ApolloFC

ApolloFC Sax-Man

Van Canto.

No, seriously I have no clue what this would mean. This is purely just a mystery group to me as several bands that I would like to see have already played PPUSA previously before I knew of the festivals existence (starting with PPUSA8 which I wasn't able to make). I'm assuming those of you who have been around here longer would have a better idea of the range of bands this would fit with given the hints of the cost and exclusiveness as well as a little more insight into Glenn's personal taste.

6. jem777az

jem777az Bozzman

If I remember correctly Glenn said once that there was no way in hell Van Canto would ever play. I don't think he's a fan.

7. jem777az

jem777az Bozzman

God I hope not. While I respect them for what they do, their music blows hard IMO.

8. jem777az

jem777az Bozzman

As much as I like Soilwork, it wouldn't be an exclusive show. They're gonna be playing with Symphony X and Nevermore in the next few months.

9. dcowboys311

dcowboys311 Member

i think it's slipknot

10. Cheiron

Cheiron Member

Maybe its Devil Doll.

Or maybe Therion is going to have an orchestra behind them, and they would like to perform metal covers on their own.

11. jem777az

jem777az Bozzman

I've been wracking my brain trying to think who this could be (pointless I know), but it's fun anyways. Here are some I came up with. Now whether or not these bands are feasible, that's another story.

Engel - Glenn has said numerous times he digs them. Would appeal to an audience outside this forum. Probably be an exclusive. But I doubt them playing would affect the headliners. Not big enough.

Darkane - Don't know if Glenn likes them. Would appeal to an audience outside this forum. Melodic Death Metal with definite progressive moments. Could be a higher slot band (4th or 5th). Haven't been to the US since being direct support for Soilwork a few years ago. I believe they're planning on releasing an album later this year.

Meshuggah - This could be very interesting. I know for sure they are planning on releasing an album around the time ProgPower is scheduled. Would absolutely appeal to an outside audience. Would be a 5th or 6th slot band. Have no idea if Glenn likes them though. They may be outside his budget restraints. Could be an exclusive since they haven't played the US in a while and there are no scheduled dates.

Coldseed - From everything I have read they are still together even though they haven't done anything since 2006. Soilwork and Blind Guardian members together for a special show? It would appeal to people outside the forum simply because of the Soilwork factor. Have they ever even played a show together?

Look I know most of these bands is just me talking out my ass, I get that. I'm trying to think of some possibilities from a metal perspective, it's entirely possible the band may not be metal at all.

12. kingdomgone86

kingdomgone86 Member

:(

I LOVE Van Canto.

But didn't he say that about Dream Evil at one point or another?

13. General Zod

General Zod Ruler of Australia

I suspect there's a wide gap between some older friends with a few extra dollars, and the oil tycoon uncle it would take to reunite Savatage. Plus... I'm guessing Glen texts Jon every 38 seconds, like Bart Simpson minus the ritalin, asking...

Do you want to do a Savatage reunion now?

How about now?

Now?

Next month?

Now?

My guess is, if this was a real game changer, it would have been worked out pre-festival.

14. AngraRULES

AngraRULES Member

Meshuggah and Mastodon would be fitting.

I also still have hopes up for anything Angra-related, Matos, Savatage, Nevermore, Mercenary, Anathema... and the list goes on and on and on...

15. jem777az

jem777az Bozzman

That's hilarious! :lol:

16. ApolloFC

ApolloFC Sax-Man

I'm kidding of course :p :)

17. J-Man

J-Man Old as Yoda

That would equate to BIG $$$$$$$$$$$$$ for either of them

ENGEL might be fitting, i know I would love to see them another worth mentioning TESSERACT

18. Cheiron

Cheiron Member

Naming bands that are touring, or already announced touring doesn't make much sense ;)

19. Palabra de Dios

Palabra de Dios Heavy Metal Weatherman

Milton mentioned Anathema. They'd fit Glenn's hint criteria and we know our promoter is quite the fan.
    Hmmmm

20. Purveyor Of Evil

Purveyor Of Evil Heavy Metal, INC.

I believe Glenn also mentioned their big bucks to get, too.