This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Need Backup Solution for Various PCs/Drives

Discussion in 'Backline' started by Melodeath, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Melodeath

Melodeath Moonbow

I am currently running a dual-booting hackintosh with Windows 10 and OS X 10.10 Yosemite. OS X is backed up to an external drive with Time machine, but the Windows 10 side of things is not backed up. I want to fix that.

I figured while I fix that, I should probably also remedy the fact that I have two other, older PCs that aren't backed up, as well as several external HDs I'd like to backup.

I have some redundant copies of important files on various drives, but I'm looking for a more organized and streamlined system, and to backup the things I know are currently only in one location.

I am willing to buy backup software for Windows, but what should I get? And should I just get one giant 6TB drive and backup all of my Windows computers and external drives to it by manually copying and dragging files/folders, or is there a better way?

Thank you for the help!

2. TRUIE

TRUIE Member

Hi,
    For sync and backup, I use this freebie : http://www.freefilesync.org/
    You have different sync options, you can create different "presets" with different folders/rules...etc.
    Hope it helps !

3. jeb

jeb Member

Hi! I use syncback pro at work and synback free at home. Pretty straight forward with tons of sync options.
    I didn't know about freefillesync! I'll check it !

Jeb

4. ForHerDeadEyes

ForHerDeadEyes Señor Member

I use Acronis True Image WD Edition, it's free if you have a Western Digital HDD.
    I've got the OS drive with a clean install, and one where everything is installed, backed upp on an external drive and on another PC.
    You can just chose entire drives and it creates a compressed file.
    Then you put the bootable version of the app on a usb-stick if you something goes wrong and you can't acces your OS.

Putting all of your eggs in one basket might not be a good idea, but I don't know what the amount of data is that you want to backup.

5. Melodeath

Melodeath Moonbow

So these work with a standard external drive? Can I backup the whole PC, or do I need to select specific folders/files for it to backup?

I don't have a WD external at this time, but I could get one. So it creates a file of the whole PC, and then you can restore using a bootable USB drive?

At this point, I am considering a RAID NAS-type setup to solve this issue once and for all. I'm tired of worrying about not having backups, so a redundant system would be great

6. Korwent

Korwent Member

I use freefilesync too, you can config about anything you want to back up,its's really cool!
    I personnaly have 2 backups of my projects, one on an external drive and one on another internal drive, both of which I sync using freefilesync.

7. ForHerDeadEyes

ForHerDeadEyes Señor Member

Yeah, one file, and you can choose the compression amount. I've got a few WD Internal HDD's (and a external one), and it was an easy program to use. I guess the app checks for a WD HDD, it probably works with an external as well, but I don't know.
    You can set dates for it to do the back-ups. I just do it manually.
    Then I put their "bootable media" on USB drive and boot up from USB via BIOS (when I recover the OS and overwrite it).