This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

I Wait For You...

...you know you cannot hide. Join the forum today!

NEVERMORE - This Godless Endeavor Dominates Worldwide Soundchecks

Discussion in 'Nevermore' started by rebirth, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Agalloch

Agalloch The Purest of Doom

I'm not gonna sit here and state "in my opinion" because if I'm stating something that isn't a fact, then you morons should be smart enough to know it's an opinion and not get your panties in a bunch. The production is GAY.

2. PratlPoet

PratlPoet Neon Black Assassin

"The production is GAY"

Well, we need not dwell on this any longer...his illiteracy has emerged, and quite nicely I might add.

I'm currently going through all of my CDs/LPs to weed out that which might be deemed "gay" in production. My entire 32 LP collection of Venom is currently up for sale to the "Gayest" person who wants it. :yell:

3. James Murphy

James Murphy Member

let me see how i can be diplomatic here.... ok, got it: Fuck You.

how's that?

4. PratlPoet

And I thought you were mature James...tsk tsk :tickled:

5. James Murphy

James Murphy Member

lol.. whatever do you mean?:D seriously though, i thought i expressed myself in almost as mature a fasion as "Agalloch"... you know, with all his sophisticated and thoughtful "GAY"' remarks and all... clearly he is a man of words, so i gave him two he could use.

6. PratlPoet

Well, consider the source...he's a penis pinata. We've wasted enough time on him...eight days for the mighty Nevermore!

7. James Murphy

James Murphy Member

yeah, i'm done.

8. Hawng

Hawng Internationaly known

Long time lurker here, I just have to say

BEST THREAD EVER

:Smug:

9. The Real Moonchild

The Real Moonchild Adolf Was My Dog

My huge bitch with the Andy Sneep productions is the lack of bass on songs. Where the fuck is it? Same with Roy Z he does the same on Halford and Bruce Dickinson albums.
    These new age producers tend forget that the bass is essencial to music. Instead we get this mud downtuned guitar sound which sucks.

All hail the production of late 70's albums.

10. TheDreamingMind

TheDreamingMind Too many mind

I don't agree with you there, the bass on TGE is definitely audible.

11. James Murphy

James Murphy Member

i hear the bass as clear as day... feel it too... can't really say anything else to that because to me when i put that promo on the bass is right there with everythng else... nicely balanced. i'm not saying you're not having that problem, but i just don't understand it.. i can hear the bass fine...

ok.. just paused writing this post and listened to several other Sneap productions off my iPod: Kreator E.O.G. , Nevermore D.H.I.A.D.W., Exodus T.O.T.D., Opeth Deliverance..... i hear plenty of bass on all of them.. more importantly, it's also easy to hear on both sets of speakers i played them on.. big mackies and little bitty computer speakers.... so, yeah.. maybe something wrong with your playback system

12. zmetallica

zmetallica Member

i actually understand moonchild on this. but i disagree, i can still hear it, but its not as heard as it used to be. its more felt. this is simply and EQ strategy. and personally i prefer it. its like the difference between using a pick and a finger.
    the bass is a very low instrument and is usually hard to hear with some producers. andy really makes it heard and felt. you just gotta listen for it. cause if you don't you probably will just feel it.
    if anything i think you are talking more about song writing issues than production. many bands these day have the bass line follow the guitar line. this causes it to be 'heard' less and more felt. most modern bands write like this.
    so if you wanna hear the bass more, just boost your subwoofer/bass EQ settings on your stereo.

13. the_drip

the_drip Martriden K

alot of you are trying to act like you know alot about studio production when it's obvious you don't. It'd be best to shut your faces. James and Andy have the know-how to make awesome records, the rest of you don't, and don't have any room to make any comments.

14. Jarek Z

Jarek Z Guest

Yes, I also don't understand why Andy Sneap and Roy Z are considered one of the best producers in the metal world. Sneap's production is always so sterile, sometimes even lifeless. I'm not saying about "This Godless Endeavour", because I haven't heard this record, but to "Dead Heart In A Dead World" it surely applies. And Roy Z always makes heavy guitars sound so low, that they lose much dynamics... Why not having a sound like Strapping Young Lad's "City". That is, to me, the sound of modern metal record.

And to James M.: Hello James, nice to see you on the Neverboard! What a coincidence, I was listening to "Convergence" yesterday :) Great record! I hope you recoverd well from the illness and hope to see you live somewhere soon! I was hoping to see you with Testament in Europe in 1999, but unfortunately you left the band before coming to Europe. No luck! ;)

15. Iris

Iris Multis Periculis Supersum

Because that's how Strapping Young Lad sounds and the idea of
    Nevermore sounding a' la Strapping Young Lad makes me think of a
    tasteless cookie :ill:

16. James Murphy

James Murphy Member

Hi and Thanks... yes, i'm doing well, and i'm glad you like my first solo album. hopefully i'll get around to making a third one some day.... well, anyway i will for sure be touring in Europe again, so catch me then. man, can't agree with you about Sneap's mixes though ... not at all... Powerful? yes, Sterile? no. a sterile production: Necrophagist Epitaph. cool album musically, and the production isn't bad, just a bit sterile. an album i LOVE is Decapitated's Nihility.. fantastic music, but a bit sterile on the production side... Sneap's mixes are huge, warm, and powerful... don't hear any sterility there though.

anyway, :kickass:

17. Ermz

Ermz ¯\(°_o)/¯

The epitome of sterile would be Necrophagist's initial release of 'Onset of Putrefaction'. Muhammed was playing along to programmed drums :). Great music though.

18. PratlPoet

Hey James,

Hope you don't think I was being a dick and not asking how you were feeling; I didn't know if it was a subject touched or not. I'm glad you're feeling better, man...I had cancer too in '93 and I still deal with residual emotional effects from time to time.

Hang in, brother!

Chris

19. JarekZ

JarekZ New Metal Member

Thanks for your reply, James! I think "huge, warm and powerful" are proper words to describe the sound of 'The Politics of Ecstasy', which, in my opinion is the best Nevermore record. I think it's a question of taste.