This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Just a heads up... In the next week or two we will be making some major upgrades to the site to bring the software and server fully up to date. While the upgrade happens the site will be offline for the day. There will be some quirkiness after the upgrade, but we'll get it all sorted out.
    Dismiss Notice

New album Foregone out February 2023

Discussion in 'In Flames' started by TheJestersDoor, Oct 22, 2021.

1. ThePhobiac

ThePhobiac be at ease

Black clouds embraces your soul
    Slowly passing through
    Repeating lacunas of anguish
    Another excuse, another lie
    Faith alone won't sustain
    Our dying Jester Race.............................................

GraemeSinclair likes this.
  2. Xpyro125

Xpyro125 Member

Fucking love Mudvayne, man. It's been a while since I've listened to anything past their third album, admittedly, but they're fantastic.

Checks out.

3. ciko_gfb

ciko_gfb Anders Fanboy

Cool track names, I really liked it. Seems like this is really a serious album. I hope "A Dialogue in B Flat Minor" won't be the same as on Clayman Rerecord.

And I just pre-ordered the new album, super excited about it!

4. TheJestersDoor

TheJestersDoor Keep calm and bash Anders

I reckon A Dialogue in B minor is the acoustic intro they've been playing live recently.

Jaymzkrueger likes this.
  5. ThePhobiac

ThePhobiac be at ease

Some educated guesses about the album:

The Beginning Of All Things That Will End is going to be a minute-long instrumental intro. Possibly will have some spoken-word.

Meet Your Maker will have an autotuned clean chorus that people are going to either like or hate.

Bleeding Out will quite literally be a pure TJR song, as in a complete 100% return-to-form that everyone's been waiting for, an instant classic, but in an ironic twist of fate it will be panned by everyone as deathcore pandering.

Foregone Pt. 2 will be an acoustic song in the vein of Stay With Me.

Everyone is going to hate Pure Light of Mind, including me. It will be the In This Life of this album and will have at least ten people in the songwriting credits.

A Dialogue in B Flat Minor will be very similar to Jester's Door, albeit with strings. I am almost certain it will have spoken-word from Anders.

Cynosure will be at least seven minutes long.

Whatever the worst song on the album will be, it will be the song that defines the album in most people's eyes the way House does for I, the Mask.

I will declare this to be the best In Flames album since Siren Charms and people will agree with me, but not for reasons I will like.

#1605 ThePhobiac, Sep 15, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2022
  6. DE4life

DE4life 'ello treacle

I genuinely don't think this is possible without Jesper. Bjorn and Chris don't have the background or the same playing style that Jesper and Glen had back then. At best you may get another song similar to Come Clarity, but I personally think that's Bjorn's limit creatively.

If it is acoustic then it will be very funny for obvious reasons, especially if there's female vocals.

I don't think there's ever been a time when we've all hated something and you've agreed with us :D so more likely we'll all hate one of the songs and you'll be like "actually I dig it, might be my favourite". Ciko will back you up, but as he will rate every song 10/10 it will be difficult to take that too seriously.

ciko_gfb likes this.
  7. eochaid

eochaid Judge Dredd of In Flames

My guess is that, this time, the singles are a good representation as to what to expect from the album. They're too similar in tone to expect something really different. Maybe there will be a couple of songs that deviate from this but that's just it.

From the titles, my guess is that the closing track is going to be something like an outro.

DE4life likes this.
  8. ThePhobiac

ThePhobiac be at ease

Give me a little credit, @DE4life, I'm fully on board the hatewagon for Here Until Forever and In This Life.

9. DE4life

DE4life 'ello treacle

I tend to agree, on past albums there has always been a weird single showcasing the "variety" - Through Oblivion from SC, The Truth from Battles, House from ITM. No such single this time around, so it suggests IF are ditching the nonsense for this album at least and just going with straight up metal. In a way I'm going to miss having at least one song to absolutely despise :D

Good, but were you at the time? :D I can't remember.

shad0w__ and eochaid like this.
  10. eochaid

Well, SOSD is a solid candidate due to it's, ahem, lack of originality.

11. DE4life

DE4life 'ello treacle

Well, yeah, they might as well have just released a cover of Blinded By Fear... nonetheless it isn't objectively a bad song like the other stupid singles from the past, just very unoriginal.

eochaid likes this.
  12. eochaid

Also, just came to mind, if the album follows that path, I expect that there will be, at least, a fully acoustic song (apart from that B minor thing). And I expect it because it makes sense.

What I don't expect is a House.

I also expect that this closes the discussion about Benson being the evil mastermind behind the previous albums. At this point, the three of them are way too different as to not think that it's their own doing.

13. eochaid

Yes. None of the songs are bad. They're just forgettable. Nothing special and not the IF that I like to listen at. In that regard, I prefer I the Mask to the new songs.

14. ThePhobiac

ThePhobiac be at ease

Digging up some old quotes...

I tried to convince myself later that In This Life wasn't actually that bad, but my efforts didn't last long.

15. DE4life

DE4life 'ello treacle

Alright, I give you a pass on this one. I do remember you saying you liked half of Battles, though, so.... :D

16. eochaid

Liking even half of Battles should lead to capital punishment.

17. ThePhobiac

ThePhobiac be at ease

Have mercy, Judge.

18. eochaid

No. There's no excuse for your behaviour.

19. DE4life

DE4life 'ello treacle

It's kind of funny that the pandemic actually seems to have forced Anders to grow up somewhat, lyrically. From the mostly juvenile lyrics of the past few albums to stuff that's more in-line with the outward-looking lyrics of the early days. About fucking time.

And yes, I generally find the songs from ITM more interesting than what I've heard so far from Foregone. Although that's not to say those songs are necessarily better, if that makes sense... they just gave me more to talk about when listening to them. I don't feel like I have much to say about the first three singles here. "Yes, decent, solid heavy MDM... um..."

20. The Grayfox

The Grayfox Gravesinger

Great artwork. I normally do enjoy dissecting song titles and making guesses but with In Flames I don’t think song titles mean much these days. There have been plenty of times over the last 20 years that I saw a song title and thought “oh that’s going to be good”, only to be completely disappointed.

I’ve gotta say it’s pretty lame that the release date is in February when clearly the album is done. Three singles out five months in advance? Come on. I guess this is the main inspiration they took from THE. I really don’t like this new trend. It might be acceptable if it was a double album and there were 20 songs on it.

Machine Head did this recently. Their new album has 13 songs on it. Four of them were from a previously released EP. They dropped three new singles before album release. That brings you down to six songs to check out. Except that three of those are minute long interlude tracks. So you get an album with 13 tracks, and basically have three new songs to listen to at release. It’s ridiculous.

Hopefully In Flames slows down on releasing singles. Three singles in three months from an album that comes out next year is a bit much.