This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Just a heads up... In the next week or two we will be making some major upgrades to the site to bring the software and server fully up to date. While the upgrade happens the site will be offline for the day. There will be some quirkiness after the upgrade, but we'll get it all sorted out.
    Dismiss Notice

New album Foregone out February 2023

Discussion in 'In Flames' started by TheJestersDoor, Oct 22, 2021.

1. DE4life

DE4life 'ello treacle

Meanwhile I'm still slumming it boomer style with good old mp3's :D

miniroch likes this.
  2. eochaid

eochaid Judge Dredd of In Flames

Well. I tend to upload my mp3 files to the phone. But, during those months, the phone was failing. And, now, for bands that I really like, I try to listen to them at Sporify (sometimes) because, even if it's just a small quantity, they make some money from it.

3. Xpyro125

Xpyro125 Member

Pretty much agree with both of these. I think I take equal issue with the instrumentation and vocals in SC simply because I'm not really sure what exactly went so wrong there. That being said, I'll always take a passionate, creative risk over safe, poppy bullshit. It's not to say I'm exactly opposed to a poppier sound- Fandigo by Callejon is the one album I really like from them. I just think that you need to do it really well and really precisely without going too far for it to be fantastic.

4. Vermyn

Vermyn Member

Only thing good that came out of battles was Bjorn’s solo from In My Room. That’s it. You’re right. The rest is plastic garbage.

galvanized and eochaid like this.
  5. Sister Of Destruction

Sister Of Destruction #teamjesterslave

Wallflower has an amazing intro , the lyrics are not bad too also ,, Us Against the World " is great song, riffs are catchy and Anders way of screaming is a little bit different compared to the rest of the album's songs

Gums likes this.
  6. Jester Slave

Jester Slave Narcissist

7. galvanized

galvanized Active Member

Sounds pretty good live. I like the members head banging.

8. ThePhobiac

ThePhobiac be at ease

Sounds like there's some clean singing in the chorus, judging by the backing track, but very subtle. I knew there was some more melody going on there than was at first apparent. I think that method, rather than making cleans the focus, works very well.

9. mindd

mindd Faithless by Default

Oh man, Tanner slays Stand Ablaze!
    I'm really glad they've hired that guy, he likes these songs and has fun playing them (and does not suck at it). And he seems to be a genuinely nice person from what I've seen on his posts and heard from people who've met him. Mah boi Tanner.

DE4life and shad0w__ like this.
  10. Xpyro125

Xpyro125 Member

So a tab for "Foregone Pt. 1" came out recently, and I downloaded it today. We were right on the money with the acoustic part being too short- It doesn't just lack any sort of cohesion/transition, it's straight up missing one bar, which shifts everything forward a bar as well. No idea how the band and producers let that happen, but here we are. For context with the photo: The verse should start at bar 41, and so on.

foregonetab.png

11. eochaid

eochaid Judge Dredd of In Flames

Well. Breaking the "rules" is not something bad as long as it works. And, of it works or not depends on the person listening to it.

In my opinion, acoustic breaks are never long enough but, if we considere what Bjorn has been doing with the acoustic parts for the past four albums, that is, repeating the same pattern once and once again through the songs, then, is it that bad that this one is short? I'm not sure about it.

12. Sister Of Destruction

Sister Of Destruction #teamjesterslave

When i heard solo from ,, Foregone " especially first part of the solo i just knew it that Chris is playing that, his style and way of playing is much faster than Bjorns boring solos

13. galvanized

galvanized Active Member

I actually like it truncated like that. Gives a sense of urgency, which I think was their intent.

14. DE4life

DE4life 'ello treacle

The fact a 4 second acoustic passage warrants this much scrutiny kind of lends credence to the idea the song itself isn't all that creative. Compare, for example, to the acoustic section of Alias...

eochaid likes this.
  15. Jester Slave

Jester Slave Narcissist

I don't get the fuss about perfection either. Unless you want to make a pop hit, you are free to bend the rules. It doesn't really stick out while listening to it either. A slow accoustic part being interrupted by heaviness - it's fine. I'd say it's a tight little song.

I've found two things interesting in the live performance: 1. bassist guy has a mic stand 2. Anders announced it as Foregone, not Foregone pt1.

16. DE4life

DE4life 'ello treacle

Bryce has been doing backing vocals since the ITM tour. He only does them for songs from 2019 onwards though.

17. Xpyro125

Xpyro125 Member

I love the acoustic part overall, and it's not so much that I want it to be extended to be that much longer, I just wish that it was extended for another bar so that it wouldn't have been cut off so abruptly.

The song's absolutely fantastic though, I've kept it on repeat even more than SOSD. I'm a bit more excited for this album now than I was before.

ThePhobiac likes this.
  18. Jester Slave

Jester Slave Narcissist

Cutting it abruptly was probbaly deliberate, as it is not unheard of in music. I do get it that you'd rather enjoyed that part longer, but at this point I am happy whenever IF steps out of their comfort zone, as they have done so many by the numbers songs.

Xpyro125 likes this.
  19. ThePhobiac

ThePhobiac be at ease

I think doing it this way preserves the momentum of the song -- adding an extra bar would be nice, but you'd lose that sense of urgency going into the verse imo. I don't think it was an error. I've written songs with abrupt transitions like that and it results in the whole song being shifted onto different bars.

shad0w__ likes this.
  20. ThePhobiac

ThePhobiac be at ease

TBF I think this is an apples and oranges comparison -- kinda like Moonshield, the acoustic part in Alias is one half of an extended bridge (in lieu of, say, a solo), while the part in Foregone is just a quick transition that gives the song an extra dimension.

I think it would have been neat if, instead of the solos, Foregone's bridge had been a long acoustic passage (fast strumming, subdued but still busy drums, maybe some slap bass, and a bluesy acoustic solo). But maybe that's what Foregone Pt. 2 will be like.