This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Join the Chaos

Want to join in with the rest of the Hate Crew? Sign up today!

NEW ALBUM Q42 017/Q1 2018

Discussion in 'Children Of Bodom' started by RICJAMES, Jan 1, 2017.

1. ESA1996

ESA1996 Member

The intro / verse riff in Hexed is awesome. One of their best thrash riffs ever. The neo-classical melody is decent, but they have plenty of better stuff, even on this album. The chorus is boring to be honest. Reminds me of the verse of Transference. The riff after the chorus is pretty good. The solo is pretty good, and it actually has a solo from all three solo guys which is interesting. Not a huge fan of the outro, but it's not bad.

2. Hatebreeder01

Hatebreeder01 Member

Just got home from work! Reading this I'm so hyped, haven't been this hyped for a new album for I don't know how long!
    I preordered the digipack version which I hope to get tomorrow. Also I love how active the forum is atm.

3. rj rl

rj rl multidimensionally dyslexic

I'm not at all a big fan of Hexed. A 6.5 to 7 out of 10 song in my book. I only really like the random fretless (?) bass outro, second part of the solo and the chorus.

4. CharIie

CharIie Formerly known as Joker and IDontKnowWhatToWrite

Ok guys. Finally ready to write down my feelings. I have just finished listening to it for the 5th time (skipped the UGAC and PABW after the 1st full listening).

I am really in awe. This album is the master piece I was waiting for. I realize that most of my expectations from the Track-by-track were spot-on, but there was a few surprises. For example, I expected Platitudes And Barren Words to be one of their strongest track and I expected to dislike Kick In The Spleen. But at the end of the day, the former is just ok and the latter is one of my favorite.

I'll just focus on the songs that are new today.

- Glass Houses: The intro, the verse, the refrain, etc. Love it all. The way the first solo enters progressively on the intro melody is just splendid. I love the overall atmosphere of the song. The refrain is catchy yet not too simple.

- Hecate's Nightmare: Same as for Glass houses, strong intro, strong verse. I love those heave guitars Laiho mentioned. I struggled a bit with the refrain during the first listening, but it really quickly grew on me and now I'm loving it. It really is an amazing song. On the side note, there is a part of the song that I can't help but feel like it would belong in an Anime's opening song XD.

- Kick In The Spleen: Biggest surprise of the album. I usually do not like too fast, too 'loud' music, but here it works. Especially thanks to this interlude at the middle of the song and those absolutely fantastic solos. I don't think Laiho has been that good for a really long time. These solos rocked and I couldn't be more pleased as a guitarist.

-Hexed: Another big surprise here. Thought I would adore the song, and boy, did I adore it! The intro riff is heavy as heck, the neo-classical part just won't ever get old. I could literally put it on loop for hours and still enjoy this. The surprise came at the end with that superb outro. It strongly reminded me of the way I felt listening to Windir's Likbør for the first time (though Hexed's outro could never match the outro of Likbør.
    (if you guys don't know it, go give it a try). Loved hearing Henkka for once, and that bass 'solo' was really enjoyable. About the solos, Laiho is being brilliant again on this song. Loved every bit of it.

- Relapse (The Nature Of My Crime): I am a bit more confused about this song. Do I love it or do I just like it? Can't tell. The riff at 00:50 is just amazing and carries the song. But I feel like this song has a bit less feels to it that the other ones. I'm also struggling with the dissonances of the refrain. I love dissonances when they make sense, but they do feel a bit off here.

- Say Never Look Back: Thought this one would be my favorite and........ It isn't :D But it is a close second! This is a true wonder. Haven't liked a song so much for a very long time. It's really high in my top of Bodom's songs. Some of the best Bodom's riffs are to be found on this song. The intro is spectacular, the verse is heavy as fuck, the refrain just rocks (I was skeptical about drop B tuning, but it sounds amazing), the drum solo is just phenomenal (I'm no drummer, so I judge with my amateur ears).

- Soon Departed: This would be my favorite on this album. It is so intense. As Laiho said in the track-by-track "whoever came up with that wasn't in a good place at the time" or as someone on the forum put it, you can really feel the anger in this song. It is just so raw. It might be slow, but it has the potential of becoming the new Everytime I die in term of status among fan. The solo is a bit too simplistic in my opinion, but the part following the solo is one of my absolute favorite Bodom riff EVER (3:55-4:12). I would have made it last at least twice that time.

- Knuckleduster: I knew this song, like most of us, and wasn't moved by this updated version. The original is better, I will agree on that, but this one isn't bad either (in the meaning that I could have preferred this version if it came out first)

Overall a fantastic album that both surprises with it's freshness but also pleases the expectations I had as a fan. It builds on Bodom's strongest foundations to bring something new to the Bodomverse while staying true to their roots. I've said it once already, but I really couldn't be more pleased. This album has so much dark/violent energy, exactly what I needed. Hexed makes me feel like I can now breathe again, at least for a while.

5. Sany

Sany Member

The Knuckleduster Remix is a bad joke, aye?! :confused:
    The new version of this Song cant compare to the old, Alexi seems to found Kirk Hammets Wah Wah on EBay :D

Overall after the first listening its maybe a 6 from 10...not really sure about this...

MaximHateCrew likes this.
  6. MadYarpen

MadYarpen Member

Actual release is on March, 8th?

7. <Arcane>

<Arcane> Active Member

8. mrs.bodOm

mrs.bodOm ~Kissing The Shadows~

I’m sorry for your loss! I myself don’t know any further details. I’d suddenly found out a while ago through a mutual friend and didn’t feel right to ask more :/

Back to the album, if anyone gets their hands on a physical copy of the deluxe version(or has already done so), I was wondering where the live versions of IWC and Morrigan were recorded?
    I’ve searched the internets and couldn’t find anything, I wanna know wether they’re from a show I attended

9. akamouzis

akamouzis Member

can someone for the love of god send me a link? please and thank you!

10. BodomBlueMoonHC

BodomBlueMoonHC Bodom Fanatic

Hexed might be the 4th and final single because this just popped up in my YouTube feed......from cobofficial.

11. BodomBlueMoonHC

Disregard that, all of the songs are on the channel now lol :tickled:

12. ==>Mask Of Sanity<==

I’m sorta surprised there isn’t any samples in the beginning/end of any songs on this album like there has been on other albums

BodomBlueMoonHC likes this.
  13. (__Joonas__)

(__Joonas__) † Followed the Reaper †

I like the guitar sound in the solos. Apart from that the song is a lazy joke. The ending is unacceptable for Bodom, to fade away like that. Slow bass solo is nice, but so weird for them. There's doublebass speed, but no creativity in the song. And that violin section is not dark and it's unfitting. And the intro riff is from Hypocrisy.

14. (__Joonas__)

Knuckleduster is partly better, partly worse. Biggest change is of course lyrics, and I must say the new ones are not better overall, only in some sections, these sound tongue-in-cheek. As long as they play it live I'm happy. The power in this song is amazing, and it works with the synth and guitar sounds of this album. I like the cymbal at the intro, it's kickass and wicked. The guitar solo sounds amazing, especially the 2nd one, it's got a nice vibe, almost country. The chorus riff sounds nice, almost sad in some way which I like. And that one minute intro was hidden at the end of this track. I'm just left disappointed with the tongue-in-cheek lyrics and vocals, this song couldn't afford them. The first verse lyrics are cool tho. The mongering rhyme is kinda strange, it's all around the place. Now we need another remix that would combine the goods sides of both recordings...

I dig how they use only bass and minimal guitar in 0:37, gives it a cool ultraheavy vibe. But the 1:12 riff was better in the original with the keyboard making it seem huge.

#1514 (__Joonas__), Mar 8, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  15. (__Joonas__)

Hecate's Nightmare, I like the elision feeling in the song, the parts meld together unseemingly. There's cool little things going on and they've invested in the soundworld. This is like bombing with a wicked sidetaste. But I've personally drifted to a slightly different style of metal.

16. (__Joonas__)

Glass Houses I initially liked the intro. And I respect they've brought speed and melodicy back. Sounds like it's fun stuff to play. Just doesn't quite whip the mattress away under my feet.

17. (__Joonas__)

Kick in a Spleen I like the section after 0:40 or so, they've accomplished a cool stoner-psychic soundworld with the keyboard sound and guitar tone, it's like a gloomy lamp behind hazy fog. At the last chorus too it's nice. Otherwise it's not the right choice of tool to impress me, but I get it's probably making many people satisfied. Solos are stylish too, just not crossing the barricade to epicness.

They've done a terrific job with adjusting keyboard soundworld and guitar tone to create the right atmosphere for this album. That's good tho, cos otherwise I'd have to force myself to listen thru it. To be honest, half the time I'm bored to death. Half the time the stuff is good tho. It's a solid record for sure, just not one of the epic ones. It's what I expected. I think it goes on par with Halo of Blood, this one has a better soundworld but maybe Halo is a bit more hooky in songwriting.

#1517 (__Joonas__), Mar 8, 2019
  18. (__Joonas__)

Relapse I like the disco melody from 0:50-, but it's not enough to save the song.

Say Never and Departed did nothing to me.

Really good thing they took time to create a great soundworld for this album, will at least cut it some slack. It's like a lion with dull fangs and claws; it sounds great but the sharp hooks are missing. Almost make me sad, cos for once they have really great sounds.

It's also a dangerous if you create a great soundworld AT FIRST. It might inspire you, BUT you kinda settle for it. Starting off with a simple soundworld ensures you focus on musical creativity. Of course there are bands that are all about a certain soundworld, but Bodom isn't one of them.

Knuckleduster is the best. Hecate's Nightmare is a clear 2nd, very potential song that unfortunately hides the claws it promises to reveal. I can't describe it better, it's furious, memorable and breathtaking like a lion's slap in the face, but with the claws kept hidden and concealed. The rest of the songs come far far behind.

It sounds they're enjoying playing it, and if they're satisfied then it's fine.

#1518 (__Joonas__), Mar 8, 2019
  19. children of COB

children of COB Deadnight Drinker

So, I got around to listening to the album, and I have to say, I am REALLY digging it. I had liked the singles (This Road was meh, but it is kind of growing on me), but holy moly are some of the new songs great!

I am definitely not a "ballady" person, and Soon Departed does not really cut it for me, but Hexed and Kick In The Spleen are for me instant classics, and Glass Houses is also really good. I will need some more listens, but overall I have a really good feeling.

I do agree with Arcane, it looks like Alexi's creativity as far as solos are concerned either stayed behind in Australia, or he's not that interested anymore, or whatever it is, but they are now very seldomly inspired. There are a couple though where I would like to know if it is actually Alexi or if Daniel has some solos of his own in this album.

It does look like Alexi nowadays takes lyrics and singing much more seriously: the lyrics are much clearer and defined (not only in the album itself but on the two live songs, live songs used to be Alexi just "wah wah whatcha fuck shit go go", on this two songs the playing is good, and the lyrics are identifiable as the actual lyrics to the song, which is a boost.

I wouldn't say it is nothing special (I have the feeling we keep waiting for some mystic "special" Bodom riff, which nobody is really sure what it should be), it has a bit of everything, and what I find most important in a song, it flat out WORKS! It is beginning to end balls-to-the-wall good, and 100% Bodom. To me the best song they have written in a while.

Works0fheart and mrs.bodOm like this.
  20. BodomBlueMoonHC

That was one thing I was looking forward to....we haven't had any real samples since Halo of Blood