This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Join the Chaos

Want to join in with the rest of the Hate Crew? Sign up today!

NEW ALBUM Q42 017/Q1 2018

Discussion in 'Children Of Bodom' started by RICJAMES, Jan 1, 2017.

1. (__Joonas__)

(__Joonas__) † Followed the Reaper †

Every song almost starts off the same pretty much, which is a minus.

I think Alexi understood at some point his speciality lies in songwriting. He reached the needed technical level for this kind of music already with FTR. So he stopped aspiring to impress the world as the next Vai or Malmsteen. And maybe he just likes riffing more than soloing these times.

2. (__Joonas__)

Knuckleduster lyrics:

"
    Walls are closing in on me
    Hear the clock ticking
    But time is standing still for me
    Used... or did you say abused?
    Makes no difference to me
    Can we agree to disagree?

I would rather tune out
    Than open up my mind
    To be placed in your little faction
    No... pick another time
    Choose another day
    And a place if it's another interaction

Roughed up, rundown
    Gave in to giving up
    You can take it out on me
    Cos I don't give a fuck!

Hey! Did I ever ask you
    To step on my toes?
    Face the knuckleduster
    And you'll end up six feet under
    Thou shalt not kill is what they say
    But I swear we'll see the day
    To bring you down
    And you will end up six feet under"

3. Norbix

Norbix Member

Agreed. That's why I didn't give the track Hexed a perfect score.

For me, this album is getting close to reaching that epic level of the top 3 albums, but still a clear level below. The reason I think is the album is lacking lead guitar. When you listen to the song FTR, it goes from lead section to lead section to lead section. They're entrancing lead sections, too. The title track is close but it's still missing that crucial element. Also the solos from the top 3 albums are just straight up better.

I feel like this album is the best rhythm guitar of all of the albums, though. If Alexi could somehow merge the rhythm from this album with the leads from the top 3..

4. (__Joonas__)

Knuckleduster riffs 0:37 - 0:41 and 2:47 - 2:53 are emotional perfection for me, my heart drops everytime and my eyes get wet from tears, I'm literally trying not to cry, because it helps my mind to dig up deeply rooted sorrow and intolerable anger that has never been unraveled. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Now I need a puff from my e-cig.

#1524 (__Joonas__), Mar 8, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  5. <Arcane>

<Arcane> Active Member

[QUOTE="Norbix, post: 11811493, member: 87409"
    I feel like this album is the best rhythm guitar of all of the albums, though. If Alexi could somehow merge the rhythm from this album with the leads from the top 3..[/QUOTE]
    Uhm, no.

There are way better riffs in the older albums. From a technical aspect, I would say this album has the easiest rhythm guitar parts. BUT this album has by far the fastest rhythm guitars and songs. There are barely songs under 180bpm and the slower ones use triplets.

After a few listenings the only thing what really stuck in my head (or what rembember) are triplets or fast picking on the open E string.

But I could be wrong... maybe this album is full of great riffs which I didn't recognize yet... I really need to do some tabs.

MaximHateCrew likes this.
  6. Norbix

Norbix Member

Well for me, the rhythm on this album is the most audibly pleasing. It's probably not the most technical, but it "works" the best for me if that makes sense. There's a gotta be a balance between technical and song-serving. Like in my opinion the chorus to Hexed is ridiculously simple, but it works perfectly in the song. Same with the breakdown/interludes for the songs Kick in a/the spleen and say never look back.

A whole day later I'm sticking with my position on the track "Hexed". It's a brilliant song. I think it's just missing a lead only section, like 2min at follow the reaper.

7. CharIie

CharIie Moss

Don't know if someone posted it yet

8. <Arcane>

<Arcane> Active Member

Yeah, I get what you say. The rhythm fits very well in almost ever song. I still prefer Roopes style, as his rhythm parts are in most of the songs a tad cool than Alexis. Or more fluid... hard to say. Best example is PMS. His style in this song is brilliant.

I have to back up a bit about the whole album after the first euphoria is gone. The lack of leads in this album is bothering me more now than I thought. Also Hexed (song) can't compete with ETID, Widdershins or SNBN because it's missing a good lead or keys section. I'll downvote it to an 9/10.

My overall assessment was a bit too high.

Here are my new votes:

01. This Road 6/10
    02. UGAC 2/10
    03. Glass Houses 06/10
    04. Hecate's 6/10
    05. KIAS 6/10
    06. PABW 8/10
    07. Hexed 9/10
    08. Relapse 5/10
    09. SNLB 7,5/10
    10. Soon 6,5/10
    11. Knuckleduster 8/10

So overall it's "just" a 6/10 album which is still good.

9. CharIie

CharIie Moss

The fact the you put PABW over Hecate's Nightmare or Soon Departed really surprises me. PABW is one of the worst song in the album with UGAC (for which I agree on the 2/10)

10. rj rl

rj rl multidimensionally dyslexic

A matter of taste. I like PABW more than Hecate.

MaximHateCrew likes this.
  11. CharIie

CharIie Moss

What about Soon Departed? That has become one of, if not THE ONE, my favorite songs.

12. CharIie

CharIie Moss

Will learn it on guitar tonight by the way. Will try to tab it as well

13. <Arcane>

<Arcane> Active Member

I have to admit that I wasn't a big fan of the single when it was released first, but now I really like it. It's the most melodic song on the album and gives me a littlebit an FTR vibe.

The other two songs lack both - good melody(s), and cool riffs.

I downgrade nearly all songs because of a missing melody. A song doesn't need one, but then it has to contain some kind of an awesome riff and from what I can tell now, there's not a single good one. That doesn't mean they are bad. I just have really really high expectations.

What Hexed makes a good album is the overall package.

14. Firen

Firen nothing wild

Still working my way through the album but I fucking loved Hexed and Relapse!

15. fanfzero

fanfzero Member

Where do the 2 live tracks come from? Anyone knows?

16. Falc0n

Falc0n Member

I Worship Chaos was recorded at Olavinlinna, Finland and Morrigan at Leyendas del Rock Alicante, Spain.

mrs.bodOm likes this.
  17. fanfzero

fanfzero Member

Oh, I was at the leyendas del rock show, yes, they played Morrigan for the first time since 2016, the guy next to me got the setlist and I was able to take a picture of it (I was who edited it on setlist.fm)
    [​IMG]

Falc0n likes this.
  18. MaximHateCrew

MaximHateCrew ~ Needled 24/7 ~

That remix is not so good indeed. Some remixed parts are quite weak. I think the original version was better actually. But anyway, that's cool this song gets its place on the album!

19. Sany

Sany Member

After today a few listenings i definitly dig Hexed and Relapse.

20. kilon

kilon I told you!

Holy crap. This album couldn't be any more mediocre and forgettable in general. Also way too formulaic. Intro. Verse. Chorus. Verse. Chorus. Solo. Chorus. At least in the first half of the album. The second half is much better though and has some of their better work in a long time.
    Some really short and general first impressions. Most songs do have an enjoyable part, but too often not longer than a couple seconds.

This Road while not bad is just meh.

Under Glass and Clover is as shit as it always was.

Glass Houses I guess I listened to. Can't remember one thing about it. Went back to it later, isn't that bad. Forgettable, but don't mind listening to it at all.

The second half of Hecate's Nightmare is pretty fun. But that is not worth listening to rest of the song for.

Kick in a Spleen: take any good Bodom song. Take out any memorable leads. There you go. The solos don't impress me much either.

Platitudes and Barren Words: One of the better intros and lead riffs on the album. Don't mind this song. Best one so far.

Hexed: the neoclassical parts are cool. But they don't match the rest of the song. It's just there for the hell of it. Second half of the song redeems itself though. Shave of the first 2 minutes and you get a good song with enough variety.

Relapse: Much better. The first full song on the album that makes me feel the sensation of listening to Bodom stuff.

Say Never Look Back: I really like this one as well. Can this album really turn things around? 2 out of 2 here.

Soon Departed: You can feel the rawness while still polished. Masterpiece.

Knuckleduster: Absolutely horrendous in comparison to the original. The new lyrics catch me off guard and it misses that special sauce the original did have. As an original song it still is wonderful though. Can't see me ever listening to this over the original.
    (Hidden song): Nice start to a potentially great song. Want to hear that as a full song. Curious as to what the original intention for this thing was.
    Remix: Let's not talk about this. Ever.

First impressions overall: not the best, but the highlights are really high. Some of the absolute worst and some of the (close to) absolute best.
    I'll have to listen to all songs a couple more times to give a better judgement. There hasn't been a single album that hasn't grown on me no matter how shit it sounded first time around (Blooddrunk), so even though I dislike the first 5 songs, there are 3 absolutely great song and some songs with lengthy good parts it is worth putting some time into.
    To be continued.

6/10