This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Join the Chaos

Want to join in with the rest of the Hate Crew? Sign up today!

NEW ALBUM Q42 017/Q1 2018

Discussion in 'Children Of Bodom' started by RICJAMES, Jan 1, 2017.

1. CharIie

CharIie Formerly known as Joker and IDontKnowWhatToWrite

Kilion, nice to see someone agreeing with me on Soon Departed. I don't fully sure your skepticism about the album, but I also agree that the best of it is in the second half (though I really dig Hecate's Nightmare).

To the people who said that there are no good riffs in this album (I think it was Arcane but I'm not sure and I'm too lazy to reread everything), seriously?!!! I just finished learning Soon Departed on the guitar and I genuinely believe the riff right after the solo is one of Bodom's greatest.

2. Norbix

Norbix Member

Yeah you've got the same criticism that a lot of us are saying. A lot of these verses could have been lead melody sections. After maybe 10 listens now, I think the following songs are great or good enough to include in my playlist:

-Hexed (I think you'll come around to this track)
    -Kick in the spleen
    -Soon Departed
    -Hecate's Nightmare (this one is stuck in my head most of the time)
    -Relapsed

5 good songs is pretty damn good for a modern COB record. They definitely hit the soundworld out of the park with this one it just needed a bit more variety and fuckin lead guitar damnit. I want to add say never look back to my good enough list because of the interlude part but the entire song isn't good enough.

edit: sadly, I think the lack of variety of sections in the songs will mean we'll get bored of these songs faster than we'd like, though.

3. MaximHateCrew

MaximHateCrew ~ Needled 24/7 ~

I couldn't rate each song yet, but I can make kind of a ranking (for the moment) (good = to my only taste, purely subjective) :

1) Good songs of the album (7 to 9/10):

Glass Houses
    Platitudes and Barren Words
    [melodies]
    Relapse (The Nature of My crime)
    [makes me think about Sinergy in some parts]
    Say Never Look Back
    Knuckleduster
    [still a good song, even though I would say I prefer the original version]

2) Less good songs of the album (5 to 7/10):

Hexed [don't really like all the rythms but the melody part and outro are clearly the best part of the songs which make it a good song] ;
    Kick in a Spleen [kind of mix of black and thrash metal]
    This Road
    [catchy]
    Under Glass And Cover
    [melodies]
    Hecate's Nightmare
    [melodies]

3) Not really good songs of the album (3 to 5/10):

Soon Departed

Well, actually, I really couldn't rank the songs at the moment :rofl: there are not really omg-riffs, but at the same time, there isn't many bad things to criticize.

By the way, short riff of Say Never Look Back (0:36-0:38) sounds like My Bodom (0:07-0:08).
    There are others similarities with IWC album in this new album ; with HoB album also. Much more with the two last albums to a so-called "back to the roots".

But that is only after a few listenings (actually two). And as Arcane brilliantly said it :

Already many thanks for your tabs Arcane :heh:

4. MaximHateCrew

MaximHateCrew ~ Needled 24/7 ~

Funny to see it is like we have totally different tastes :D finally, maybe the album tries to make good compromises for everyone!

5. Norbix

Norbix Member

Lol I think it's two things. 1) It's still really early. It takes some time for us to actually fully digest the songs. I expect a lot of us will flip flop on ranks and likes in the coming weeks. 2) Sadly there is no clear cut amazing song(s) that 99% of people are in love with. I thought Hexed was going to be it when I first listened to it, but it turns out to be another niche track.

MaximHateCrew likes this.
  6. Permafrostish

Permafrostish New Metal Member

Cheers,

I am new here, though I listen to Bodom (and other music of course) half of my life... I am 34 now.

I have had a hard day.... my mind is still fucked up from all the impressions, thoughts, tasks etc. of the day, right now I am having my third beer (0,5 liter bottles).... So my impressions of the album might change wehen my mind is clearer and I can focus more on the album.

Right now I think:

- better than the last albums
    - partial very good melodies and vibes
    - lacks the DENSE and menacing / dark atmosphere of FTR and HCDR
    - guitars sound a little thin / weak
    - vocals and keys sound great
    - bassdrum is also fat which is nice.... fits better than the rattling of triggered and thinned out bassdrums...

NoLimit likes this.
  7. <Arcane>

<Arcane> Active Member

Upvote:

Soon Departed from 6,5 to 8/10

Say Never Look Back from 7,5 to 8/10

Downvote:

Kick in a Spleen from 6 to 5/10

Knuckelduster from 8 to 7/10

8. Permafrostish

Permafrostish New Metal Member

I stopped listending to the album after half of the songs, switched to Mayhem De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas alive. :-D
    Will give Hexed a new try tomorrow, right now I just cant open up for new music. :-(

9. yowbie

yowbie New Metal Member

Really wish Daniel had input. I miss naildown

10. yowbie

yowbie New Metal Member

Also kick in the spleen is the titties

11. Works0fheart

Works0fheart Member

Just listening to it for what it is and not comparing it to the old albums, I think it's pretty good. It's still pretty good all around. There's never going to be anything they release that's as good as the first 3 albums but this still isn't bad in general. I like it and that's more than I can say for any album since Are You Dead Yet?

12. BodomBlueMoonHC

BodomBlueMoonHC Bodom Fanatic

Here's a gem I found lol

13. rj rl

rj rl multidimensionally dyslexic

could be because it sounds very much like existing tracks of theirs: compare it to Done With Everything, Die For Nothing. Apart from the intro/verse riff, the rest is straight out of that song. And the vocal rhythm pattern at 1:00 in Relapse they've already done in Hellhounds On My Trail at ~2:25

14. dthmtl3

dthmtl3 Member

Have been listening to this thing in my car most of the day, granted not the best way to hear it, but nothing really stood out aside from the beautiful lick in Hecate.

Just finished listening to it with some headphones:

This Road - second half is alright 6/10

Under Grass and Clover - it's ok for what it is, the cheery harmless accessible song 7/10

Glass Houses - the bass! That's where it's at. Henkka's best bass work. 7/10

Hecate's Nightmare - that lick is so amazing, but like Jooonas says, it should explode instead it's just in the background, they could have done so much more with it 9/10

Kick in the Spleen - too simplistic. Wants to be Shovel Knockout but doesn't come close, love them chugs though 6/10.

Platitudes and Barren Words - the initial melody is nice but it would be nicer if the guitar stood out over the keys, and for the rest the rhythm guitar work is the interesting part. Stongly dislike the cleaner vocals. 7/10

Hexed - does nothing for me aside from the tremolo picking, what is it that people like about this, is it the "hexed" scream that people hope to scream live. Again if in the neo-classical part the guitar stood out more I would like it better 4/10

Relapse (The Nature of My Crime) - rather dull, nothing particularly good about it, nothing too bad either 6/10

Say Never Look Back - I like this one, has the energy of My Bodom. 7/10

Soon Departed - Great song, better than the slower songs of the past. It's a pensive song helped out by strong bass work. 30 seconds longer than necessary though 8/10

Knuckleduster - Hey! like everyone says, the original is better. 6/10

The live songs apart from poorly chosen songs are pretty standard performances not even good ones

Knuckleduster (remix) - pointless. Downfall would be better suited for a remix than a lackluster song to begin with

I think once the novelty wears off people will realize that this album isn't all that good. Or I will discover some amazing bits that I haven't yet. This album just reinforces my hope that one day there will be a COB without the damn keyboards or at least put them in the mix where they belong, waay in the background. They contribute little to this album and just get in the way of the lead guitar. The good thing about Hexed is that it focuses more on rhythm guitar work. Now if Alexi got back into fun leads. Not crazy about the production as it pertains to guitars and drums, but at least one can distinguish the bass. Overall right now I'd rate the album solidly in the middle somewhere. It's not a top 4 album by any stretch of the imagination.

15. (__Joonas__)

(__Joonas__) † Followed the Reaper †

He's had lots of input, I can hear which ideas are his. Plus one of the heavy riffs is straight from a Naildown song.

NoLimit likes this.
  16. ==>Mask Of Sanity<==

Glad to see I’m not the only one to dance like that while listening to metal :rofl:

17. COB-666

COB-666 Member

Hexed - 8.0 on metalstorm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. <Arcane>

<Arcane> Active Member

Anything you know what we don't know? Tell me more.

19. Johnny_victor

Johnny_victor Member

Whole Platitudes sounds to me like a song Daniel wrote and then Alexi changed some parts...don't know about other songs. And yes Relapsed sounds too much like some riffs used in Blooddrunk...and since Daniel loves this album, maybe it was his influence as well.

20. (__Joonas__)

(__Joonas__) † Followed the Reaper †

I just feel many guitar parts sound like Daniel more than like Alexi.