This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Join the Chaos

Want to join in with the rest of the Hate Crew? Sign up today!

NEW ALBUM Q42 017/Q1 2018

Discussion in 'Children Of Bodom' started by RICJAMES, Jan 1, 2017.

1. kilon

kilon I told you!

So I just looked back at my first impressions on IWC and HoB and I really didn't like the majority of the songs on those albums back then either, but I do like or love most of them now. Time really does change your perspective.

I already think the worst songs on this album aren't as horrible as I thought they where yesterday (but also think the best songs aren't the best of the best I thought they were either).

Also, listening to Hexed after RRF, HoB and IWC it really doesn't feel that different. All those albums are roughly of the same quality. So far Hexed still is the weakest of the 4 in my opinion, but it's not worse than Blooddrunk any more.
    The verdict isn't out on how many songs are worth adding to a playlist though. Time will tell.

2. Andry_Wildchild

I wanted to quickly say a couple of things before giving my feedback on the album.

I think a lot of people here go into a new album with a mindset and/or expectations that ends up setting them up for failure.
    COB’s repertoire makes it so that people have different standards and opinions as to what they consider good/bad and what they look for in a song( this is clearly shown by the substantially different feedback people have been giving about the songs on this last album, as well as all albums for BD onwards)

I am an old school COB fan just like you all and will be forever chasing their HB/FTR sound period. Nonetheless , I still very much enjoy ALL the work they have put out since ( something more something less) with that same smile on my face and to me each album is a different chapter, a different sound , a different story, different memories and, for that , they are all special.

I think a new album should be given the chance to be judged as an individual body of work instead of always being compared to whatever album of theirs you might think is best.
    I don’t know how anybody here is seriously still hoping that a SW/HB/FTR 2.0 can still happen. That’s like expecting Metallica to come out with Master of Puppets 2. Not gonna happen.
    It is only natural that bands evolve and I consider myself lucky enough to have had moments/elements and parts in these new songs that were such to throw me back to the early days even for a few seconds because to be honest they don’t owe that to us at all :)
    Of course it’s 100% still new Bodom but I like the turn they are taking and me personally , after going through the album 3/4 times, I am WAY more excited and impressed than I was for IWC. And seeing how IWC ended up growing massively on me too I have got good hopes for Hexed to work is way up the list of my favorite COB albums in a few years when the smoke clears.

Will post a detailed review of the album after a few more listens , just wanted to say do NOT sleep on Hecate’s Nightmare :D ( no pun intended)

3. CharIie

CharIie Moss

I did on my way back from work yesterday and I slept like a baby ^^

4. Andry_Wildchild

I don’t mean literally, I mean don’t overlook/underestimate the song ;)

5. COB-666

COB-666 Active Member

Official trailer 7:
    " Alexi Laiho discusses the band taking a break from doing cover songs this album cycle, and the bonus track on "Hexed." "

6. Norbix

Norbix Member

Yeah, man. I said before the album came out that based on the track by tracks I was dubbing this album for me as the "groovy" one, while HB is the "mystery" and FTR is the "epic" one. I still stand by that. This album is definitely groovy/easy listening. The sound world and the groove is very audibly pleasing. With the previous modern albums, I mostly thought "that's cool" or "that's impressive", but this album I'm actually just jamming out to.

It's still really early in the digestion stages, but so far I'm still enjoying this album as a whole much more than the other modern COB albums. It stands out as something unique in their discography so far.

7. Permafrostish

Permafrostish New Metal Member

Listened to the entire album now. Better than all other albums after HCDR, but not better than my s favorites: FTR, HCDR.

8. garlicbread11

garlicbread11 Member

Liking the album a lot so far. Not sure where it falls on my Bodom ranking list yet, though. I definitely disagree with anyone who says any songs feel like they belong on the first 3 albums - Maybe a solo or 2, and Kick in the/a Spleen's bridge, lol. Sounds like a mix of HoB, HCDR, and Blooddrunk, but still very much its own album. As you guys have said, the soundworld/overall album feeling are consistent and great.

First 7 tracks are killer imo, need to listen to the last 3 some more to really form an opinion. Solos are really great compared to recent albums from a breakneck/in your face perspective, but missing a bit of the structure/memorability. Maybe I'll change that opinion once I become more familiar.

Definitely better than IWC, though.

9. <Arcane>

<Arcane> Active Member

With all respect for Daniel, It's hardly doubtful that he had any right to say as the "new" member when it comes to composing. Especially when there's a narcissist like Alexi who would never let any other person wrote a whole song except himself.

Besides that, Henkka said in an interiew that Hexed is completely wrote by Alexi in the first place.

MaximHateCrew and Works0fheart like this.
  10. ESA1996

ESA1996 Active Member

The soundworld on the album is really good. The songs themselves have too much repetition, and too few leads. As a whole the album is still pretty good. Miles better than IWC. Can't really compare with the other post-HCDR albums yet.

#1570 ESA1996, Mar 9, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  11. Sany

Sany Member

I will never get that. How can you be a Band and only one Guy writes the Music?! I mean if it is only Vocals...but this?

Also in the Last breakdown from Alexi i kinda looks like their out of ideas, like there is no fun but they have to Release a new Album, watch closely Alexi!

12. <Arcane>

<Arcane> Active Member

It's a common thing. When I was in a band, I also wrote all the music.

You can identify bands by only a few seconds of listening and that's only possible if there's less than 2 or 3 songwriters.
    Bodom wouldn't sound like Bodom if Alexi would let all the other bandmembers do the composing job and I bet that all of them are more than happy that none of them had to bear the brunt to work on new stuff.

I'm not sure, but I guess that even in Sinergy Alexi wrote all or most of the music

13. garlicbread11

garlicbread11 Member

I would guess that Alexi entirely wrote Sinergy's music. I think Kim Goss wrote all of their lyrics. She wrote the lyrics to Next In Line, as well, which makes a lot of sense.

Arcane, you had mentioned earlier that you feel Alexi's solos as of late have been uninspired. Why is this? Can you give examples of solos, both bodom and non-bodom, that you feel are "inspired"? I personally like a lot of solos from recent albums, and find the likes of Scream for Silence, Bodom Blue Moon (second solo, not first shitty pentatonic solo), and Halo of Blood to be fantastic solos.

14. <Arcane>

<Arcane> Active Member

Did I wrote uninspired? I think not.

I'm not sure what happend exactly. At first I thought that his solos adapted to the new (new= since 2005) hardness of the songs, because since AYDY the songs are heavier, trashier, harder,... I thought there's no place for melodies because there are no simple rhythm parts under a solo like in HB or FTR, but I was wrong. The rhythm guitar under BBT is hard as fuck and without any melody but nevertheless Alexi put a solo without peer over it.

And with RRF and the two awesome solos of NMF and Ugly I thought yes! He's back!

I was wrong again. I can't tell what happend. The ugly solo is one of the best solos I've heard in my live but anything after is just garbage most of the time.

But if you think your mentioned solos are great, than I'm fine with it. This is just my personal und subjective opinion. But some people are not be able to handle criticsm against their idol and wish me aids before my 40ies.

15. akamouzis

akamouzis Member

I will give more thorough feedback later but so far i absolutely love this album and definitely put it up with the best Bodom has done. Definitely the best since HCDR. It is clear they put a real effort into this album. The brooding atmosphere is intense. I don’t know why people are saying it doesn’t have leads. It has leads everywhere. And what repitition? Every song is unique and almost all have an epic refrain or interlude that is just as good as the best I have ever heard them put together. The only song that sounds incomplete to me is PABW, I like it a lot but I believe it still needed some tweeking.

16. BodomBlueMoonHC

BodomBlueMoonHC Bodom Fanatic

Under Grass and Platitudes both have some repetition issues but everything else is solid. Glass Houses is still my favorite song right now which is surprising to me because I believe it has the biggest flaw on the album (which is the abrupt end to the second solo). If that was a bit longer this song would be 10/10 and up there with some of Bodom's more modern classics (Bodom Blue Moon, Widdershins, All Twisted, etc.)

17. garlicbread11

garlicbread11 Member

Oh yeah man, to each his own! I really like hearing the opinions of others and why they hold those opinions. Gives good insight on how other people enjoy things.

BodomBlueMoonHC likes this.
  18. (__Joonas__)

(__Joonas__) † Followed the Reaper †

Of course the guy with creativity writes the music. Unless the band exists only to have fun. If somebody else wants to contribute his shitty ideas then he should start his own project. It's just remarkable how bad most people are with understanding how to create the right type of mood in any kind of art.

19. Works0fheart

Works0fheart Member

I mean, Daniel wrote a lot of cool songs with Naildown, so Alexi isn't the only one with creativity. I don't think his ideas in Naildown were shitty either. They've got some really cool riffs and melodies. Honestly, I think if Daniel were at least allowed to help out with the writing this album might be better (not that it's bad).

20. (__Joonas__)

(__Joonas__) † Followed the Reaper †

That hidden track is actually pretty nice, it just goes unnoticed. Should've made a proper song from it.