This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Join the Chaos

Want to join in with the rest of the Hate Crew? Sign up today!

NEW ALBUM Q42 017/Q1 2018

Discussion in 'Children Of Bodom' started by RICJAMES, Jan 1, 2017.

1. <Arcane>

<Arcane> Active Member

Had Daniel anything to do with Circle Regenerated, or was the album release before he joined Norther?

2. Exedo

Exedo Member

They recorded Circle Regenerated in Autumn 2010, Daniel joined in mid (?) 2009 as a live guitarist and was a full member as of early 2010. So its possible that he contributed towards the album.

3. tragician

tragician Hermotriekaleina22/7

I'm still so fuckin tired but holy fuck, thursday was one of the best days ever! Met so many cool bodom fans!!

Alexi and Daniel were on radio rock talking pretty much through the whole day, so I could listen to them on the bus while going to Helsinki.
    I went to Sanomatalo a little bit too early because I overestimated the time it would take me to find it. So I grabbed a coffee from the lobby cafe and headed out for a cigarette and ran into Jaska, Daniel and Alexi! Just said hi quickly and went out for a cigarette bc I would meet them again in an hour in the pre listening. It was pretty funny sitting in the lobby listening to their interview on Radio Rock with headphones while they were literally 5 meters away behind a glass wall talking. I met some new friends who were queuing for the meet&greet already like four hours before.

The pre-listrning was so great! There was probably ten of us and we were taken into the Radio Rock studios into a big room that had a long table full of beer,cider and chips :D The band came in to greet us before we got to hear the album. They fuckin remembered me and Janne hugged me like "Well we've never met before lol" :D They talked a bit to introduce the album and walked around the room to greet each fan personally. Then they left the room and let us listen to the album. Everyone was just quietly concentrating on the music, which I really appreciated. I could only hear people tapping their feet on the floor.

Then the band came back and we could ask stuff about the album. I was honestly too excited to remember anything anyone asked but I talked about the keyboards a bit with Janne and asked Alexi if there was any movies that inspired him on this album even though there isn't any specific quotes. He said the movie quotes had kind of become something he was a little tired of so he didn't want to force it there and on this album there wasn't any specific movie that inspired him.
    A meeting like this was such a great thing really! To see the band so proud of the new album and eager to hear opinions and answer questions was really nice!
    After that there was the meet & greet and I got a CD and a poster signed. Didn't have that much time to talk to them there but these guys are seriously the nicest people ever.
    Met Daniel and Jaska again at the Riff and talked a bit longer and took pictures. The rest of them didn't come which was a bit weird bc Riff had been kinda advertising an album release party. BUT it's fine I mean they spent the whole day hangin out with fans so obviously you can be a bit tired and wanna go home. Was a super fun night!!

Worth it definitely even though I had to go to work straight from the Riff. Awake from 6am thursday morning to 3am Saturday. After work I just went for a "couple" beers with friends bc I was too hyper to sleep lol

And I'd say the album was better than I could expect. Favorite songs are Hexed, Hecate and Platitudes. So glad to see a bit more of the 90's melodies sorta stuff. But as I said earlier I didn't want a return to the 90s but an album with it's own specific sound and era. I think we got that. Hexed definitely has a bit of a HOB feeling here and there but it's better than the last 3 albums combined.

I was thinking do they actually read this thread :D I mean we talked about the pre-listening here and I remember saying I want a horror themed video like Sixpounder or Everytime I Die and well we got the Platitudes video.

#1583 tragician, Mar 10, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  4. ESA1996

ESA1996 Active Member

^We've also talked loads about soundworlds (Or at least Joonas has), and suddenly the album has a great soundworld :D Almost makes me feel bad about talking shit about IWC all the time :D

Also, sounds like you had a really nice day, meeting everyone, getting to listen to the album etc.

5. tragician

tragician Hermotriekaleina22/7

Well I think they'd appreciate honest feedback more than just talking bullshit. IWC isn't my favorite either :D

6. AlixSB

AlixSB Member

As much as I love the new album..

My biggest gripe is that on the 'Say Never Look Back' chorus there is no 4.

COB-666 likes this.
  7. Woltimon

Woltimon Member

Say Never Look Back actually is one of my favorites from the album :D but I still can't figure out which songs I love the most because the overall album is just so damn awesome. All I know is that This Road is the weakest song to me ^^

8. kilon

kilon I told you!

I really start to dig the groove going on with The Road. Old school rock 'n' roll vibes in places.

Platitudes is starting to become my favourite song, if not for that still for me out of place breakdown (cool, but doesn't fit quite well) and the vocals in the chorus (also cool (it has worked in songs before), but also doesn't fit the song for me).

9. Woltimon

Woltimon Member

I really dig his vocals on the Platitudes chorus

10. Sinthoras_96

Sinthoras_96 Member

Hey Guys,

I just signed up here but Im a passive reader since prior Halo of Blood release. So Im already familiar with some peoples opinions on this forum (like Jonas is the guy who wants atmosphere, Arcane is the guitar expert and so on).

My first Bodom albums were HCD and AYDY and the first that I bought on release was Blooddrunk. Im one of these lucky guys who enjoy all the Bodom albums, new and old. Yes I even like RRF (Not my Funeral is one of the best songs ever imho). My favorites are HCD, FTR and BD. The only album I dont like/listen often to is Halo of Blood. But thats not because the songwriting would be bad, no the sound on this album is the problem for me. It sounds really boring/bland/generic and lacks any atmosphere (like Jonas would say it). I was happy, that IWC had a much better sound (imagine the Halo album with that sound. It would be so much better). So even if Halo had better writing than IWC, I would pick IWC over Halo every day. The best writing doesnt help, if the songs sound like shit.

So my biggest fear about Hexed was, that they might fuck up the sound again. But the singles made me very excited because the sound was great. And oh boy after listening to the whole album the complete weekend now, I can safely say the sound is absolutely fantastic. Its the best sound since Blooddrunk (The RRF sound was also good for the quite different style of that album) and I wouldnt mind it, if they would use this exact sound for the rest of their career. Its simply perfect. Now I actually wish, that they would rerecord Halo and IWC with that sound lol.

But not only the sound is great, also the songs are very good. There is not a single song on this record that I skip while listening to it. Every song has kind of its own twist aswell. Its fucking amazing. And Im propably the only one on this forum, who even enjoys the remix :D

I rate this album a 10/10.

So after my thoughts on the album, its time for some trivia talk. I remember that there was some irritation on this forum about the different track lenghts of knuckleduster on various websites. If this was brought up already, Im sorry for repeating it. But I noticed, that the hidden bonus track on the "normal" CD version is part of the "normal" knuckleduster rerecord, while its part of the remix on the "deluxe" version. Not only does this explain the different lenghts of the two knuckleduster songs, I also think its quite interesting, since this hidden track is obviously part of the normal record and by moving it into the remix track on the deluxe version, the bonus tracks kind of become included in the record. If anyone knows what I mean :D Usually, on Bodom records bonus tracks (covers) are really exactly that: A couple of extra songs "after" the normal record. But to me it kind of feels as if the live versions and the remix are really part of the core album in this case. Especially since the live versions have pretty much the same sound as the album, which was a very nice surprise. I initially was dissapointed by the lack of cover songs (and I would still have preffered two new covers only for the sake of having two additional new songs) and I expected these live versions to have a totally different sound and feel completely out of place, but as I said they really fit in quite well.

Speaking of that hidden track, I would really appreciate it, if anyone, who will meet the band on the upcoming tour, could ask them, why they decided to put it as hidden track at the end of the album instead of using it as an intro track (which it obviously was meant to be).

So another irritating thing was the huge delay of the album release. I have a theory for the reason of that delay. Nuclear Blast was kind of acquired by a french company called believe digital (alteast the acquired a majority stake) last year. If you check these YouTubeMusic Streams, it also says provided by Believe SAS .
    The website of said company claims that they are experts in digital music distribution and marketing. I assume that they needed more time to set up an advertising campaign of the album. Ofcourse its just a theory, but it would make sense to me.

NoLimit, rj rl, COB-666 and 2 others like this.
  11. Sany

Sany Member

So u want to tell me that Roope and Daniel should start their own Project?

12. CharIie

CharIie Moss

You know what guys. I might shock a few of you, but after 20/30 listening of the the album give or take, I can safely say that this album IS my #1 album in Bodom's discography. And believe me, no one can be more surprise than me saying this... I never thought I would love something more than Hate Crew Deathroll. But I do... I so do... I usually hate people who overrate things, but since Hate Crew Deathroll was a 10/10 for me, Hexed had to be 11/10.

13. CharIie

CharIie Moss

@tragician I really wished I could meet Laiho like you did (But not after the first listening of the album, I needed some more time to fully appreciate its content) to tell him that he really outdid himself on this one... This is such a masterpiece.

tragician likes this.
  14. BodomBlueMoonHC

BodomBlueMoonHC Bodom Fanatic

Welcome to the forum! :)

I would also very much like to know the whole deal with the supposed "Intro" track being moved to the end of Knuckleduster(s).

15. CharIie

CharIie Moss

Judging by an instagIns post, the temporary called "downtown salieri" song was Hexed.

16. BodomBlueMoonHC

BodomBlueMoonHC Bodom Fanatic

Interesting, I assumed it was Glass Houses.....

17. ESA1996

ESA1996 Active Member

BLASPHEMY! :D

I am yet completely unable to rank the album. I like it better than IWC, but apart from that I don't know. When I think about how good or bad it is, I rate it far lower than when I actually listen to it. Not quite sure why :D

COB-666 likes this.
  18. garlicbread11

garlicbread11 Member

If the VIP tickets are actually worth a crock, I'll get to meet Laiho and the rest of the band briefly on this upcoming tour. Any good ideas for questions to ask, Hexed-based or otherwise?

19. Sinthoras_96

Sinthoras_96 Member

Well as I said, it would be nice to know, why they decided to make the intro track a hidden track at the end instead of an actual intro track^^

COB-666 likes this.
  20. CharIie

CharIie Moss

Honestly, ask them if they are aware of the forum still being active and if they ever come and take a look here.

tragician likes this.