This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Join the Chaos

Want to join in with the rest of the Hate Crew? Sign up today!

NEW ALBUM Q42 017/Q1 2018

Discussion in 'Children Of Bodom' started by RICJAMES, Jan 1, 2017.

1. CharIie

CharIie Moss

I know... I know... I am surprised too. But the more I listen to it, the more I am convinced.

Also, there is this French metal webzine which usually rates albums really harshly, and for the first time in a really long time they gave Hexed a 10/10. So I might not be the only one feeling this way (even though it is blasphemy haha)

2. <Arcane>

<Arcane> Active Member

I wonder what your rating criterias are to give an album 10/10... Taht means, especially in your case who gives a 11/10, that every song, the mixing, mastering, guitar tone, voice, etc... couldn't be any better.

3. kilon

kilon I told you!

For me there is a difference between a subjective score and a rational score.

I give Hatebreeder a 12/10 any day of the week, but rationally speaking it's nowhere near the perfect album and is it like an 8 or 9 tops.

Maybe that's the case here as well

<Arcane> likes this.
  4. CharIie

CharIie Moss

Well, let me explain myself then.
    For me Hate Crew Deathroll was the absolute best album of all time. Loved every single song, and even the weakest ones (If I had to pick one, it would be Chokehold) had their place on this album. The riffs were sick, the solos were great and the general cohesion of the songs was just perfect. Also, the energy was raw, really raw. It didn't feel forced at any point unlike the more recent album. This overall perfection made it easily worth a 10/10. Hate Crew Deathroll was and is perfect.

Now, Hexed. Well, using the same criteria, I can safely say that in my opinion: The solos are great, technical, melodic, have Laiho written all over them yet are fresh and new. The album holds fantastically well together as a whole (I listened to the album in the correct song order and in random setting, for the former I never skipped at song, for the latter I always skipped Under Grass And Clover and Platitudes And Barren Words), it is put together in a way that makes even the weaker songs fit perfectly in and be 100% enjoyable as part of a whole. Laiho's voice is at its best. The atmosphere is great, subtle or present when it needs to be so. Keyboards are finally being put to good use as well again (Tabbing Soon Departed made me discover the keyboard layers I didn't hear during my first few listening of the song and it is absolutely stunning. Simple but it does the work perfectly). And last but not least, the riffs and melodies. I think that a huge part of the album is basically made of Laiho's best riffs to this day.
    With all that in mind, I cannot give it the same grade as Hate Crew Deathroll. Both are perfect in their own way, but Hexed wins the top stop when it comes to my personal tastes. The 11/10 being only a stylistic way of displaying that it topped my previous idea of perfection, it would of course simply be another 10/10, but this would not illustrate that it topped Hate Crew Deathroll.

Ps: Production wise, Hexed just killed the game. I think it's one of the better produced album I've had the chance to hear to this date.

5. CharIie

CharIie Moss

Also Arcane, it "couln't be better" than what we can get with today's technology, my gear and my knowledge of music. Maybe there are better albums out there, there actually probably are. But within everything I have ever listened to, only 2 albums made it to the 1-0/10. Hate Crew Deathroll and Hexed, but the latter outdid the former in term of production. So maybe the next album will outdo Hexed (I really hope it does!).

6. BodomBlueMoonHC

BodomBlueMoonHC Bodom Fanatic

New personal ranking after a few days of listening:

1. Glass Houses
    2. Relapse (The Nature of My Crime)
    3. Kick in the Spleen
    4. Knuckleduster
    5. Say Never Look Back
    6. Soon Departed
    7. Hexed
    8. Hecate’s Nightmare
    9. This Road
    10. Under Grass and Clover
    11. Platitudes and Barren Words

Relapse is quickly becoming a favourite of mine.

7. ==>Mask Of Sanity<==

Mine too!

8. CharIie

CharIie Moss

I was one of mine since the beginning, but the more I listen to it, the more I enjoy it.

9. Hatebreeder01

Hatebreeder01 Member

Allright. I've been listening to the album some 3-4 times. And I, I don't think I like it...
    Let me explain. The music is good, the album is good, the songs are good. You know that feeling you get when you listen to something that is good, it just doesn't make you dig. It doesn't get you going, it doesn't give you any emotion, it's just there.

This is the 5th album in a row that I've listened to the first week after release to never listen to it again apart from a few songs.
    From Blooddrunk it was ''Banned from Heaven'',
    from RRF it was none,
    from HoB it was the cover of ''Sleeping in My Car'',
    from IWC it's ''All for Nothing''.
    Now from Hexed it's going to be ''Soon Departed'' which is close to a masterpiece.

I was hyped for this one and I wanted to like it more.
    It's harsh, but then again I've been losing interest in metal for quite a few years now and it doesn't really excite me anymore.

10. AlixSB

AlixSB Member

The production on this album is ok, there’s still issues with drums being all over the place. The bass barely there etc.

In my opinion Gojiras - the way of all flesh is still the best production I’ve ever heard. That’s still leaps and bounds above everything else

11. CharIie

CharIie Moss

I am really curious as to what the setlist will be at the concert tonight. Really curious about the songs from Hexed that they'll choose to include in the setlist.

12. (__Joonas__)

(__Joonas__) † Followed the Reaper †

^They will play UGAC, Platitudes and either Spleen or Hexed. Not sure if they can replicate Hecate's live.

13. COB-666

COB-666 Active Member

Hexed is much better than IWC & RRF.

1. Say Never Look Back ~8/10 I love this song. Best on the album for me.
    2. Hecate's Nightmare ~7/10
    3. Under Grass and Clover 7/10 I don't know why, but i like it. :)
    4.(?) Knuckleduster 7/10 Well, Knuckleduster... but yeah, original is better.
    5. Hidden Track 7/10 Hidden track is back (after "Touch Like Angel Of Death" ?) and it's really good "song".
    6. Kick in a Spleen 7/10
    7. Glass Houses 7/10 First half of the song is better...
    8. Soon Departed 7/10 I don't like the slow songs, but this is good. Maybe better than "Dead Man's Hand on You".
    9. Hexed 6.8/10 Hexed has some good ideas, but maybe it could be better.
    10. Relapse 6.8/10 (maybe...)
    11. Platitudes & BW 6/10 This song is not bad, but it's not Bodom. :/
    12. This Road 5/10 I don't like it...
    13. Knuckleduster (Remix) -10/10 ...

14. COB-666

COB-666 Active Member

Or Knuckleduster. Alexi likes Knuckleduster. :)

15. Woffer

Woffer Member

Not sure if this is complete, feels kind of shot. but someone updated setlist.fm
    I'm surprised they don't play the new title track, then again, album has only been out for a week.
    Really hyped WNGF and Peace.., -not sure if they've ever played it live besides the live dvd?

1.Sixpounder
    2.Under Grass and Clover
    3.In Your Face
    4.This Road
    5.Bodom Beach Terror
    6.Everytime I Die
    7.Platitudes and Barren Words
    8.We're Not Gonna Fall
    9.I Worship Chaos
    10.Angels Don't Kill
    11.If You Want Peace... Prepare for War
    12.Hate Me!
    13.Downfall

COB-666 likes this.
  16. COB-666

COB-666 Active Member

17. Woltimon

Woltimon Member

mrs.bodOm likes this.
  18. NewHewkas

NewHewkas Scheiße Gitarre Spieler

And they only played the singles from the new album.

COB-666 likes this.
  19. Woltimon

Woltimon Member

That's my main problem with the setlist, hope on their European run they play atleast 5 songs from Hexed (UGAC, Platitudes, Spleen, Glass Houses and Say Never Look Back would be appreciated). I know most people want to year the old stuff but it's mostly the same stuff... I don't blame them for playing Hate Me or Downfall but I start getting sick of Angels ^^