This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

New College Radio DJ here!

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA Lounge' started by OrionSon, Sep 7, 2014.

1. OrionSon

OrionSon Member

Sort of random, but seemed appropriate to mention that I got hired by my college's radio station, and have decided to take over their metal show. I'll make it a personal mission to try and play music from bands I'll be seeing and have seen in Atlanta.

2. TENTH DREAMER DECEIVER

TENTH DREAMER DECEIVER Halcyon Way Sufferer

What's your quota for local talent?

3. dcowboys311

dcowboys311 Member

What station? I ran GaTech's metal show for years.

4. Palabra de Dios

Palabra de Dios Heavy Metal Weatherman

That's awesome. I did the metal show for WUSC at University of South Carolina for a little while myself. Loved it.

5. OrionSon

OrionSon Member

We have no quota for local talent, at least that I'm aware of. I'm not just a DJ, I'm also the one in charge of listening to all incoming music to pick what's good to be on the radio. It's for Nicholls State University. They were even cool with me taking half the week off for ProgPower.

6. OrionSon

OrionSon Member

For the record, I started doing my shows and they're going great. It's a little heavy on death/black metal because that's all I have to work with, but I'm slowly adding more of power and prog metal. I even named myself after a Devin Townsend record involving a certain coffee loving alien.

7. TENTH DREAMER DECEIVER

Play some Blaze:kickass:

8. dcowboys311

dcowboys311 Member

Surely you mean the Japanese band and not that Maiden hack....!

#8 dcowboys311, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  9. TENTH DREAMER DECEIVER

Nope. Like Japan. Been there 5-6 times but the only decent band from there was Loudness.

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aMweXFGFOmY[/ame]

10. OrionSon

OrionSon Member

I have no Blaze solo, but what little Blaze Maiden I actually own will be played. An entire Almah album is on there, so I'm using the show to help get into them for ProgPower.

11. metalprof

metalprof Ken Luther

It's been several years, but I had an on-again-off-again radio show on WVUR, the campus station for Valparaiso University, and before that WVLP (public radio in the town of Valparaiso), and before that on WFHB (public radio in Bloomington, IN). For what it's worth, here are playlists from the Valpo years:

https://sites.google.com/site/bitbradio/

Of course, the broadcast radius of both of the Valpo stations was about 40 feet :), so the only people who listened were inmates at the county jail and people who were driving in town in their car and unable to change their station at the moment.

I hope you enjoy it all, I used my time in the studio as personal therapy and decompression; I got to listen to music I liked for an hour or two with no interruptions. I didn't really care if anyone else was listening or not!

Ken

12. Mardoch

Mardoch Defender of the Universe

A buddy of mine (who's been to two ProgPowers with me) ran the metal show at LA Tech for years. It was a very good and well rounded show, and all of the local metalheads despaired when he graduated. I used to hang out with him in the booth. One of relatively few truly fond memories from college.

13. OrionSon

OrionSon Member

I think you'd be personally happy to know I've uploaded the entire new Intervals CD. I got it at their concert and loved it. Not a show goes by I don't play a song.

14. Mardoch

Mardoch Defender of the Universe

Very nice, sir. Very nice.

15. dcowboys311

dcowboys311 Member

These are the best listeners. We used to get many requests and sometimes letters. And of course, the Collect calls from "PLAY FUCKING SLAYER".