This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

New Contortionist album released today

Discussion in 'Bar' started by Revson, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Revson

Revson Member

Anyone check this album out yet? After more or less hating "Intrinsic," I wasn't very interested in this new album. I gave it a listen on Spotify and then immediately went and bought it. I haven't stopped listening to it since.

It's basically like listening to a hybrid of Cynic and Pink Floyd and was done by Jamie King at The Basement Studios.

2. anotherpaul

anotherpaul Member

I've been listening to it on repeat non stop yesterday. Amazing vocal work and general atmosphere.

3. crillemannen

crillemannen Member

I haven't listened to much on the album but the first song they released really catched my eyes (ears). It is so refreshing to hear those acoustic (awesome sounding) drums. I think many djenty bands would benefit from going that route. Gonna listen some more for sure!

4. chrisjmp

chrisjmp Member

Nothing grabbed my attention the first listen, but I'm really loving it after a couple more spins. I'm glad they got rid of some of the cheesy deathcorish bits on their other albums.

5. Josh Burgess

Josh Burgess Member

Album of the year for me. Love the music. Extremely well written. Beautiful atmosphere. The only thing I wasn't thrilled with was the mix. It's nice and balanced, but not very aggressive. (Jamie King always goes for those really smooth, warm, dry sounding guitars.)

6. JeffTD

JeffTD Senhor Testiculo

What did I miss? These dudes used to be a djent band and this is 100% different. Wouldn't have guessed it was the same band.

7. Revson

Revson Member

Really? I think the mix fits the music perfectly. I really want to know how he gets his drum tones. This and BTBAM's Parallax II have some of my favorite tones, overall.

Eh, it's only like half of the same band. They stole a dude or two from Last Chance to Reason and added a synth player.

8. LiberaScientia

LiberaScientia Cat Dad

It's my AOTY for sure, I can't think of anything left to be released that will top it to be honest. Listened to it at least 4/5 times every day since it was released and I'm still not tired of it. It's so fucking beautiful, but incredibly natural sounding too, I've never heard anything like it.

9. varobinson

varobinson Member

Didn't care for it all. Creative. Talented surely. Unique. Not my thing, subjectively speaking.

10. He's Dead, Jim

This album is such pretentious garbage. And that's coming from someone who thinks Sunbather is a masterpiece.

11. crillemannen

crillemannen Member

I've listen some more to it. I like the general vibe and the mix. As I said in my first post it's really refreshing to hear those drums. My only concern is that the vocals are a bit to ambient, I would have liked them to be more like lead-vocals then actually to much apart off the whole soundscape.

12. Josh Burgess

Josh Burgess Member

It's pretentious because it's not the same old generic metalcore?

This is 1000x better than Sunbather.