This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

New Evergrey Fan & Looking for Tuning Info...

Discussion in 'Evergrey' started by TubeAmped, Apr 26, 2003.

1. TubeAmped

TubeAmped New Metal Member

Hey all!

Let me start off by confessing that I am a proud newbie to this message board and a guitar player of 10 yrs! I recently got into Evergrey after finally getting their latest CD - this thing rocks and I am reallly diggin' it! Very technical - just the way I like my prog rock! \m/ I am still waiting to get the In Search Of Truth CD in the mail, but am expecting to enjoy that one as much as this new one. I look forward to catching these guys on tour. It's truly amazing that all of the killer bands are out there - it is just a matter of discovering them. I have been into prog rock bands for years now - Dream Theater, Dali's Dilemma, Pain Of Salvation, and Symphony X (the list could go on) so it is a real treat to come across guys that are this technically proficient at their instruments. There is some really cool, syncopated stuff on this album and I am really diggin' it!

Now on to the second part of my post. I am kinda lazy when it comes to figuring out tunings other than standard E, but I was wondering if you all could clue me on (by song if possible) of what tunings are used on the latest two cd's? I would really appreciate it. I know that one or two of the band members frequent this board and I remember reading that there are four tunings used. Sounds to me like they use Standard E, Drop D, B, and maybe Drop C. But, as I said, I am kinda lazy at deciphering - and I am also very new to Evergrey's music. I may tab out some of this stuff once I get the tunings figured out. Any help - from anybody - will be greatly appreciated. I am also scouring the internet for tabs on these guys - so if anybody has any great links that would be cool too ;-)

Ok- I am done rambling for now. I am really stoked that I stumbled across these guys. They will provide hours of entertainment as I wear their CD out in my car! It's a shame that radio stations will not play this music - it is so much better than most of the crap that the DO play.

Later - and glad to be a member here!

Mike

2. Nightmarez

Nightmarez Hero In A Dream

I wish I could help. I just picked up a guitar for the first time about a week ago. :zombie:

But welcome to the board. Just thought I'd give this post some attention, some one truly proficient with guitars could help you out. :)

3. Evelynne

Evelynne Member

Hi, at this very moment I'm transcribing 'Solitude Within'. As far as I can hear it, that song isn't tuned differently. For the new album, I haven't quite heard it well enough yet.

4. Evelynne

Evelynne Member

So if anyone need help with transcribing stuff, I can help, though, I'm not really a metal guitarplayer, I studied jazz 'n fusion for a couple of years, but I know how to transcribe songs.

5. fortuneIL

fortuneIL New Metal Member

Ive tryed playing along with some of the new stuff from RD, and on many of them I do need my 7 string, adding a low B string to a stardard tuned 6 string.

6. Immortal

Immortal Friend of the suncross

Ok, as far as I can hear with my guitarish ears and knowledge, the first three albums are tuning standard on E and the Recreation Day (I'm judging it on basis of Recreatin Day song) is tuned on H or C I guess.

Well, let's see what Henrik's got to say.

Henrik, am I right or am I wrong?

I was only listening to the songs and not finding them out on the guitar.

7. Nosferatu6

Nosferatu6 Member

Hey Tom here

tuning answers--

We use 4 different tunings on the RD album and it goes as follows.

one straight E 440
    one straight E with a dropped E yo D
    one a whole step down to D
    and one really strange which is used on the RD song for the live situation
    its tuned
    G C C F A# D
    but on hte album its a 7string guitar normal tuning H

all the best
    Tom

8. Immortal

Immortal Friend of the suncross

How did you manage to tune down on G? It's a very low octave and with bad pickups and amp it sounds terrible.

Interesting.

Oh, a 7-string? I didn't know you use that kind of "modern" stuff. I still think that 7-string guitars are bullshit.

Ok, we can discuss about that somewhere else.

Have fun, Tom!

9. Confessor Townsend

Hang on does that meen you have a 7-string Caparison......?<dribble>

10. Mammoth

Mammoth Capsicum Slave

Hello all lazy people. There is a short cut for all of you called guitar-pro 4.0. with ENDLESS tabs to be found at mysongbook.com You can down load a taster at the official site and them off you go!!! Stack up on the coffee, break up with the missis and away to tabland! LOL ;)

11. Nosferatu6

Nosferatu6 Member

And I think you would know if any knowledge that the H is the same as B here in Europe .
    the tunings are standard E 440hz but with some Drop D songs on Each album
    for the RD album we have one tuned BCCGHE and one dropped one whole step to D and one really strangely tuned in a chord (this is for Madness caught another victim) which I think is C-Minor add9

' t

12. slaesh

slaesh Member

is it the great deciever who´s tuned to B C C G H E ?

13. DRFS Rich

DRFS Rich Member

Could someone clarify this? I'm in the US, and didn't know of any "H" in the musical alphabet, however, unlike others on the board, I'm perfectly willing to concede that a professional musician knows a HELL of a lot more than me. What's the deal with "H?"

- R

14. Dethshaft

Dethshaft New Metal Member

Kinda funny but I swear I am playing Great Deciever tuned to drop C, then again I havent tuned my guitar in a long time haha. I think Tom knows better though!

BTW that main riff to the Great Deciever gave me a run for my money, rock on guys!

15. slaesh

slaesh Member

yeah, tom malmsteen