This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

New Kamelot - Silverthorn

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by Harvester, Jun 8, 2012.

1. DADRocks

DADRocks Member

I received my copy on Sat. I gotta say, for only a few bucks more, the Deluxe Box version of the release is pretty awesome. Not only do they give you a bonus instrumental cd, you get the album in a book version, and additional book with the story of Silverthorn, and a poster. You definately get your money work. I think the cd will take a few spins to sink in, but I'm liking what I'm hearing so far.

2. Justin G

Justin G Member

Superstorm means no mail today, which means no Kamelot for me.

3. PureXul

PureXul Member

Same here, although I had it delivered to my office so it was sitting here when I came in this morning.

The packaging is very nice, although it's a bit funny that they went to the expense of doing hard binding for both the CD and the book with the story behind the album, and then slipped the bonus CD into a cardboard sleeve. Not a complaint, but a bit of a juxtaposition considering how nice the rest of the packaging is. As you said though, it's very much worth the extra few dollars.

On first spin, I was a bit underwhelmed with the composition side of things. Tommy sounds fantastic and the album is by no means bad, but it seemed to be lacking in memorable songs. I'm hoping that with continued listens, it will grow on me.

4. Nidstang

Nidstang The Melancholy Spirit

Here is my review on the new Kamelot.
    The Good.
    -Great vocals
    -Interesting concept
    -flows nicely
    -great dynamics
    The Bad:
    -The production on the guitars are thin and weak at times (im peresonally not a fan of the producer)
    -The lyrics can be abit over the top and odd at times
    -Tommy's voice wasnt used to his full potencial
    - I think the last track could've used some vocals or at least be 2 mins shorter, because the dead air in the track is dumb.

favourite songs: Ashes to Ashes, Prodigal's Son,
    Least favourite: Continuum, Sacrimony
    Id give it a 8/10.

5. kashford

kashford Member

I have to pretty much agree with you. I have listened to the album 4 times now since getting it last night (I work from home).

My biggest complaint is how hollow some of the songs sound. This complaint is more focused on the guitars and not Tommy's voice. Edit: I'm enjoying the album much better on my headphones in the library. Going to turn up my sub at home.

That said, the songs in the middle and end of the album are fantastic. "Song for Jolee," "Veritas," "My Confession," and "Falling like the Fahrenheit" are my standouts.

In all, and because of those four songs, I'm giving it a 8/10. I'm a tad underwhelmed, but at the same time, excited for what the future of Kamelot may hold.

Sidenote: Anyone else notice the "thank you" to Tore Ostby in the booklet? Any details on this? I was primarily looking to see if there was any shout out to Roy, didn't see one.

6. AngraRULES

AngraRULES Member

Why would you expect them to send a shout out to a guy that screwed them over and cost the band a shitload of money because of a canceled tour?

7. kashford

kashford Member

D'oh. Good point -- I completely forgot about the tour aspect..

Afterwards, I always took it as a somewhat amiable parting after the whole "health concerns" aspect.

I must be very wrong. Case closed on Khan.

8. AngraRULES

AngraRULES Member

Yeah man, it went beyond the health concerns... And I'm not sure it was that amicable...

9. GhostofCain

GhostofCain Member

I was also surprised to not see Glenn Barry mentioned in the Poetry liner notes.

10. Harvester

Harvester The Promoter

Glenn left the band three years ago prior to Ghost Opera. Why would they continue to thank him?

11. GhostofCain

GhostofCain Member

Ummm...did you read what I said? And BTW, he did tour for GO for a while actually.

12. Harvester

Harvester The Promoter

Umm..yeah...(although I should have said prior to the end of the GO cycle).

And my question stands.

13. GhostofCain

GhostofCain Member

Ok, I figured they would at least acknowledge a guy that contributed to every album up to that point, He basically WAS an original member from pretty much the beginning. The same reason anyone would look for a Khan acknowledgement in Silverthorn, I thought the same of Poetry for the Poisoned as far as Glenn Barry goes. Bands thank former members all the time in the next album, especially long standing members of great significance. I'm sure they have reasons for not doing so, I'm not judging them either way for not mentioning them. I wasn't expecting to see and thank you to Glenn in Silverthorn.

14. DADRocks

DADRocks Member

Glenn,
    Did you do a review of Silverthorn? Just wondering if I missed it.

15. mattbrood

mattbrood PPUSA Facebook *****

Would you expect Queensryche to thank Chris DeGarmo (not to mention Tate! :loco:) when they release their next album? He was an integral part of the band, but no, you wouldn't expect a "thank you" in the liner notes because DeGarmo was in the past, the liner notes are generally for thanking people involved in recording and promoting the band in it's current form. I would have been surprised to see Glenn Barry thanked in Poetry.

16. GhostofCain

GhostofCain Member

All things aren't created equal, I don't always fully expect every band to thank all of their former members for past contributions. But with that being said, past members may not partake in the current recording, but they do have a lot to do with where said band is as far as success at the moment. Usually when you see a long time member split from a band, as long as it's not bitter, it's common to see something like "Thank to Roy S. Khan for all the great years, we wouldn't be where we are with out you" or something to that affect. Like I said, I'm not judging.

"I would be surprised to see Glenn barry thanked in Silverthorn."

Yeah, so would I.

17. mattbrood

mattbrood PPUSA Facebook *****

I realized my error and corrected it, I sometimes overlook Poetry due to the whole "tour cancelation debacle"

18. miel

miel Mrs. Harvester
    Staff Member

19. steeltormentor

I'm not sure I've ever seen Helloween acknowledge departed band members in any of their liner notes (with the exception on Ingo of course) and they've had many important members leave throughout the years. I just don't think it's customary.

20. kashford

kashford Member

Thanks for posting. Quality interview. I'm glad he explains the decision to release Sacrimony as a single.

And it seems like my question that has opened a can of worms has been explained a bit.