This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

New Mikael's blog post

Discussion in 'Opeth (Archived)' started by Åndrija, Jun 9, 2009.

1. antipunx13

antipunx13 Member

lmao

2. Holocaust on the Moon

Holocaust on the Moon Temples of Syrinx

The two most annoyingly pretentious fanbases in metal together in one room.

3. Lateralus14

Lateralus14 New Metal Member

Eh, Dream Theater fans are probably about as bad to be fair but that's so true. And lol @ Opeth being "intellectual metal" - when did all good music receive the tag "intellectual" just for sounding good? Also, Katatonia fans annoy the shit out of me recently but they're not pretentious as much as they're completely gay for Jonas Renske like a 5 year old is gay for the Jonas Brothers.

4. br00tal_jEff

br00tal_jEff Spatulas.

intellectual as in its deep, complex, and lyrical. it has nothing to do with the quality of the music per se, take Dream Theater for example, yeah i think they sound good and they're pretty technical, but i wouldn't call them intellectual in the same way i referred to Opeth, or at all, really.

5. Lateralus14

Progressive =/= Intellectual.

6. macaroni

macaroni Member

oooo signature model!!!

7. br00tal_jEff

br00tal_jEff Spatulas.

is Dream Theater not progressive? often hailed as the "godfathers of progressive metal" i actually said Dream Theater is not intellectual. intellectual means that it incites deep use of the brain, which Opeth's music does. Mikael's lyrics and melodies make me think; when i listen to their stuff, i can sit and muse on it because of the deep meanings within the art. that is why it is intellectual, not because it "sounds good" or is "progressive"

Edit/p.s. the same pretty much goes for Tool; i just thought i'd clarify

8. Prophet178

Prophet178 Member

Yeah, the point I was making is that Metallica has had openers that don't sound anything like them.

Another thing I thought of was maybe a new Gigantour? Maybe Megadeth asked Opeth to support them again this year. There hasn't been any talk about a 2009 tour yet though, so its a possibility.

Oh and the whole "intellectual" thing is bullshit. Just because the music is complex doesn't make it intellectual. Intellectual shouldn't even be an adjective to describe music, it doesn't even make sense.

9. greasyboat

greasyboat Member

BUT opeth are progressive AND intellectual! i think we opethfans are some of the smartest music fans and we have wide tastes, everything from metal to classical (which im really quite knowledgeable about now, finally!!!)

10. br00tal_jEff

br00tal_jEff Spatulas.

well, i don't know if we're the smartest hahaha (i hope that part was sarcastic), but we do tend to have wide tastes (or at least say we do, going back to the annoying, pretentious fans)

11. Lateralus14

There is nothing deep about Opeth's lyrics - they are about simple things like relationships or depression. Sometimes they're vague as fuck so you have to think simply to decipher them, but that doesn't make them intellectual. If you want some intellectual metal go listen to Tool or DsO.

12. br00tal_jEff

br00tal_jEff Spatulas.

13. HemeHaci

HemeHaci Ken Masters

Please define deepness, because as far as I know there is no consensus on what deep refers to exactly so people can interpret differently. Other than that I agree with your comment.

14. Lateralus14

Ok so maybe Opeth's lyrics can be deep by some definitions. But yea, most people agree that intellectual metal has various criteria and singing about relationships like every gothic metal act or death like death/doom acts doesn't exactly qualify.

15. antipunx13

antipunx13 Member

intellectual metal is pretty much an oxymoron.

16. TommyPickles

TommyPickles Member

I would be incredibly annoyed if it's Metallica.

The only good thing about them "opening" for that band is that I could get in and out. Don't really care about ticket prices since I don't put a limit on what I'd pay to see this band.

Now Megadeth and Opeth on the other hand would be fantastic (especially without LOG fucking it up this time).

17. müsli

müsli New Metal Member

wtf.
    dont you think there is some serious art dealing with depression and relationships??
    the topic itself never is a criteria!
    so please: try again....

18. sotua

sotua Member

I love the smell of smug in the mornings...

19. sotua

sotua Member

And sometimes they are about one of those times where you meet with a friend to have some coffee, and have a deep conversation, and by the time you finish the conversation you're no longer friends.

Oooh, look at me, I'm listening to Tool, I'm soooo deep and intellectual! :D

20. Words of Credence

Words of Credence Silent Hill lurker

I don't care if the lyrics themselves are "intellectual" or not (whatever the hell that is) as long as I feel that they are genuine representation of the writer's whatever. Even if they're straightforward as fuck and are dealing with topics already beaten to death. I do feel so with Mike's lyrics.

Another good band in that respect to me is Enchant. I love how they can take any topic from the everyday human life and turn it into a pretty good song lyrically.

That being said, I don't listen to a particular music to feel holier than thou much as I don't read books so I can throw it into other people's faces.