This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

New Opeth song

Discussion in 'Andy Sneap' started by lepersmeesa, Mar 11, 2008.

1. lepersmeesa

lepersmeesa Badman rudeboy

[ame]http://video.google.nl/videoplay?docid=52640108091399531&hl=nl[/ame]

I like it. Can't wait for the album.

2. Virgil.

Virgil. ¯\(°_o)/¯

Is it just me or do they sound like they're not as "tight" as they once were? It could just be the sound quality messing things up for my ears. Sounds promising though... we'll see :)

3. SpewChunks

SpewChunks Member

I love opeth, but man i wish they didn't let fucking Per Wiberg join with his shit keyboards... with the exception of damnation of course. This video seems promising... hard to tell with the sound quality, very harsh dissonant sounding song. Can't wait to hear it on cd.

4. LydonB

LydonB Member

:erk::erk::erk::erk::erk::erk::erk:

I think they keys are a pretty bad ass edition. tbh.

5. bshuker

bshuker Member

Hell yeah thats one bitching song, Fredrik Akesson definately isn't a let down.

6. Metaltastic

Metaltastic Member

I love it, and Per is the reason that Ghost Reveries is my favorite of their albums :)

7. KeithRT99

KeithRT99 BOOSH.

i think per is a great addition to the band. It's hard to tell much by the video's quality but it sounds pretty cool.

8. Anaon

Anaon Member

Hard to judge by the quality but I can't wait for this new album, to know more about this new guitarist...

9. Kazrog

Kazrog CEO/CTO, Kazrog, Inc.

Hard to tell what this song is like from this clip, but it sounds like Opeth. Who's playing bass in that clip and what's Byron Stroud doing playing guitar with them? :lol:

10. pifos_2

pifos_2 des scoubidoubidous wha !

i have great expectations for the new album as long, ghost reveris was great. and as long their new guitarist is a very good musician.

11. deanbailey

deanbailey O.C.D Member

I think Steve Wilson wrote the keys for Damnation. You can see in the studio footage on the Lamentations DVD

Edit: Wow those pinch harmonic's in the heavier riff doesn't really sound like "Opeth"...
    @Kazrog: I think it's the current bassist Martin Mendez with less hair lol

12. J.DavisNJ

J.DavisNJ \m/

"Ghost Reveries" is one of my favorite Opeth albums. I also think Per was an excellent addition to the band. I hold "Ghost Reveries" up there with "Blackwater Park" and "Damnation."

I don't get the hate for GR honestly. I know lots of cats don't dig it, but after many listens I was hooked.

-Joe

13. LydonB

LydonB Member

aka Bass Player

14. axeman720

axeman720 Member

Ghost reveries is brilliant in my opinion. The production and mix are absolutely amazing. I think its the most listenable and best produced opeth record. Not sure i could ever pick a favorite though.

15. Exocaster

Exocaster Nozzle

I love GR, myself. I think Per is one of the most tasteful keyboard players in metal. (His lines don't sound like an 8-bit NES, for one... :lol: )

I can't wait for the new album. The reviews I've read so far sound really intriguing. This (Heir Apparent) is the straight-up metal song, or so I've heard.

16. Machinated

Machinated Member

Ghost Reveries is an incredible album. Opeth are amazing.

17. SpewChunks

SpewChunks Member

Yeah Steve Wilson has contributed a lot of great musical ideas for opeth, including keys and leads such as the lead on the intro for Drapery Falls amazing song, but i was really hoping the keys would go after D/D. The keys really help fill the D/D albums out because they are in essence opeths heavy and clean ripped in half onto two seperate albums.

I'm not a hater of GR i really like it, i just couldn't wait for opeth to return to the norm after D/D, and with the introduction of the keys, the band dynamics have changed quite a lot. I just imagine i would have liked it more if it was written without keys in mind.

I guess i'm on my own with the keys here. I've been following Opeth chronologically since Morningrise, and one of the things that made me love them so much was their abstract structuring with lots of long, dark and thinly textured passages, exploding into dense thick heavy sections... Fantastic dynamics the early albums, i feel that a lot of that is lost with the intoduction of keyboards...

But thats just my opinion.

18. The inquisitor

I am really psyked! I like it. I was hoping for a BIT more brutal drumming but i am satisfied.

They are using marshalls now? I wonder how thats gonna turn out.

19. bshuker

bshuker Member

Yeah I noticed they were using Marshalls, but they always used to just run the poweramp of Laneys, so maybe it was just a lender or something.

I'm quite interested to see how the album will turn out with Martin Axenrot on drums instead of Lopez...

20. Exocaster

Exocaster Nozzle

I'm assuming the Marshalls were provided backline for the Melloboat show. Looks like the new(ish) 4 channel JVMs, which seem ideally suited for that sort of thing. Opeth's use of their Laney stuff is pretty unusual, in that they go straight in in the studio, but only use 'em as a poweramp for a modeler live. If they are using Marshalls these days, honestly, I don't see their tone being much different. Before I knew what they were using for Ghost Reveries, I initially assumed there were Marshalls in there somewhere upon first hearing the album; it's got that Marshall high mid bite going on. Wouldn't be a bad choice for them, really.

I'm curious about Axenrot's drumming as well. I really liked his performance on The Roundhouse Tapes. He's definitely got the chops for all the jazz stuff and one-handed rolls Lopez liked to use, and to be honest, I think I like his live playing better. His tempo seems more consistent, and he pushes the beat forward on the more agressive stuff. I was skeptical until I heard him live, but now I'm pretty convinced, and it was the jazz flavor of Lopez's drumming I enjoyed the most.