This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

New respect for Phil Collen!

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by Harvester, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Harvester

Harvester The Promoter

From Blabbermouth:

Guitar International: There was a recent interview with [fellow DEF LEPPARD guitarist] Vivian Campbell where he said he isn't challenged guitar-wise in DEF LEPPARD, and that you get all the good guitar parts. How do you respond to that statement?

Phil: Because it's all my shit. Vivian joined a band that I helped create. He's coming into my house! It's not all the good parts, it's the DEF LEPPARD sound that me and Steve [Clark; late DEF LEPPARD guitarist] created. We got together with [producer Robert] "Mutt" Lange, and there was already a sound in place. Also, we play all the hits live, which were written before Viv was in the band.

Guitar International: Are there hard feelings when he says something like that?

Phil: No not at all. It’s just the ways it falls. I can't help it that all my shit sounds great!

:lol:

2. DTJeff

DTJeff I Am My Nation

This is seriously one of the cockiest things I've ever read.

3. Claus / Intromental

Claus / Intromental 20 years of uniting the powers of metal

Hehehehe, very nice.

I remember him saying once that he was hung like a donkey, and that he was 5"7 whether lying down or standing up ;)

4. Harvester

Harvester The Promoter

[​IMG]

Or...it could have been a funny as hell jab at Vivian.

5. Wayniac

Wayniac Member

I haven't met either, but by many accounts, VC is a douchebag of huge proportions - but I loved him as a guitarist when he was with Dio.
    As far as PC, I always thoughht he was an OK song writer with no chops. I'll admit I'm biased - I thought Leppard peaked as a rock band with High-N-Dry with the original lineup, and consider Pyromania to be by a different band with a different - and really good - style. Just not good old rock. I recently saw youtube video of him trying out his new jackson signature guitar - that boy CAN play.
    I took it as a tongue-in-cheek way of telling Viv to shut the f**k up and keep taking the big paychecks. If not, I'd be MORE than happy to take his place! lol

6. Jasonic

Jasonic Doom On!

Vivian is saying this crap now, like what, almost 20 years AFTER joining DEF LEPPARD? I am sure he didn't mind all the paychecks inbetween.

How can someone join a long running established and successful band, and complain about such things? He knew exactly what he was hired to do, and what his role would be as a guitarist.

Furthermore, he had to know that by that point in their career, the hits were already established.

Wasn't he talking smack about DIO a couple years back also?

7. Justin G

Justin G Member

YES. This is what Vivian does. He and Joe Elliott are made for each other.

8. Jasonic

Jasonic Doom On!

Joe Elliot seems like a tool too.
    I saw their BEHIND THE MUSIC, and he was going on and on about how in the "Book of Rock N Roll" he wants to be listed in the first few pages, along the likes of the Beatles, Stones, Zep, Queen, etc.....

Yeah, you guys got some good jams, but lyrically you have always sucked.

9. nomisofsiman

nomisofsiman Member

Yes. The only time I remember Dio saying something bad about someone, where in an interview I remember him saying "I hope he fucking dies." Seems like the guy has some issues.

10. Jasonic

Jasonic Doom On!

I guess I would be bitter if I had to play rhythm guitar on the stellar YEAH! covers disc.

11. nomisofsiman

nomisofsiman Member

And that's why or at least part of why I've never been able to understand the popularity of Def Leppard. I can take bad lyrics from certain bands, but theirs for some reason or another always annoyed me more. A lot of it had to do with that I've never liked the singer's voice too I suppose.

12. Pelata

Pelata FINAL SIGN

Ok, I can't dispute you not liking the songs because we all like what we like...but no chops??? Are you kidding? Phil Collen is a ridiculously good lead guitar player...he just makes everything look easy. You don't have to like him...but man...no chops?? :lol:

13. adaher

adaher Member

I think it's great that band members are willing to speak openly of their differences.

Now Collen, I always thought he was really good, actually, although he's no Vivian Campbell. And really, Vivian's probably not even upset about it, it's not like he joined Def Leppard to be a guitar hero. He's always been a hired gun and a good one. If he wanted to perform guitar pyrotechnics rather than make big bucks, he could have inquired about Nocturnal Rites' opening.

14. drmetal8

drmetal8 Graphic Design

Def Leppard. Soon back to 1 guitarist again.

15. Wayniac

Wayniac Member

You quoted me out of context.. read the last sentence of that paragraph in my original post- I said that boy CAN play after I saw one of his recent vids. I also said they were good songs, but NOT , in my mind, definitive Def Lep. Not sure of your age, but HnD is a totally different band than Pryromania.. Great studio layering, etc, but I prefer the older, more raw High N Dry.
    Listen to Photograph - that was his big "shred" statement, back in the day when Van Halen still had fire and balls in his playing, Yngwie was new and in his prime, Vai was tearing it up on Eat em and Smile.. so - yeah - from a shred standpoint - Phil is not in my top 200 on recordings. It was tasty, and it fit - but he did not shred. But - like I said - where credit is due - the man has chops. He should after being a pro guitarist for 3 decades

16. jem777az

jem777az Bozzman

Phil Collen > Vivian Campbell IMO

Espcially at this point in their careers. Viv was awesome with Dio but after his Riverdogs album he went downhill. Def Leppard isn't exactly the greatest forum for Phil to showcase his abilities, but he's a better guitar player than Viv is at this moment in time.

17. Bamafan

Bamafan Member

I'm pretty sure Pete Willis helped write and played on Pyromania. He was fired prior to recording the music vids, which is why PC is so associated with Pyromania.

18. SharkBlack

SharkBlack Member

Some one pour some sugar on Vivian Campbell....

19. KYF_Cincinnati

KYF_Cincinnati The Metal Professor

Good point, Vivian seems like one of those people that's never happy. If you can remember the "Behind The Music" episode Vivian said something along the lines of; [with English accent] "... I like being in Def Leppard because unlike my previous band you don't have to be some sort of Olympic athlete on the guitar... bla bla bla, whine whine whine..."

Vivian's performance on the first two DIO albums is masterful. I absolutely love it to this day but this guy, (Vivian), just doesn't get it. I don't know the whole story regarding his beef with DIO but it sounds like Vivian was pissed off at DIO because RJD wouldn't accept anything less than excellence. It turns out Vivian WAS capable of excellence so instead of whining about it he should be happy that RJD helped to push him to another level of playing.

20. Pelata

Pelata FINAL SIGN

Wayniac - my bad...I jumped the gun.

I gotta get better at that... :lol: