This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

New Scar Symmetry tune

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by Harvester, Aug 23, 2009.

1. guardian26

guardian26 Mike the Cop

Not bad but Christian was a better vocalist in my opinion.

2. TribunalRecords

TribunalRecords Record Label(s)/Vocalist

i wasn't saying he couldn't sing live as i am sure he can do so quite well. what i was commenting on is the LAYERING that occurs so much in the latest SS record that it would be near impossible to pull off in a live element considering no one else does vocals in SS to back him up. so despite the album being a nearly perfect modernized death metal album hearing it performed live would have been impossible before he quit. now with two vocalist they at least have a better shot of capturing all he put down on tape. hahaha, like anyone still records to analog tape! but i am sure you get what i mean.

3. General Zod

General Zod Ruler of Australia

If he sounds "exactly like Dan Swano", how can he be "very original".

Nitpicking aside, I'd agree, he sounded just like Swano. Unfortunately, I found that to be a turn off. Overall, I just never understood what people found so compelling about this band. They always struck me as a lesser version of Soilwork (before Soilwork began their downward trajectory). That said... this new song isn't bad. I'll check out the new disc when it's released.

Zod

4. Entrerie

Entrerie Member

I think the Holographic Universe CD is the epitome of metal music. It's truely progressive in the sense it trascends all the generes of metal and offers something for everyone, death, prog, melodic it's all in there, not to mention some amazing vocals. In time it will be a classic if not already considered one.

All these generes on their own have gotten pretty stale as of late, but when masterfully woven together as is the case with Holographic Universe it can be something amazing.

5. AeonicSlumber

Zod you realize Christian has been doing his vocals long before Soilwork was a band in Unmoored?

6. TychoCelchu

TychoCelchu Member

I disagree about Christian sounding like Swano. Both fab vocalists, but not the same timbre.

7. TribunalRecords

TribunalRecords Record Label(s)/Vocalist

i meant his "tone" sounds like Swano. Christian is good, but in my book will never touch the magic of Swano. I just love everything that guy does. But considering no one comes close to him Christian can still be "original" in the sense that the last SS album he did went above and beyond anything Swano has attempted in recent years vocally with all the layering, etc. plus i think his range is a little bit higher than Swano's as well. i am not a melodic vocalist so i couldn't say with complete accuracy. i just scream.

8. General Zod

Yep... I blind bought Indefinite Soul-Extension, around the time of its release, based on a recommendation that it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Suffice it to say, sliced bread need not worry.

My comment regarding Scar Symmetry being a lesser version of Soilwork has little to do with Christian, Speed or the time of the two bands. My comment was merely one of quality. To my ear, nothing Scar Symmetry has done can hold a candle to A Predator's Portrait or Natural Born Chaos. Of course, such things are completely subjective.

Zod

9. TychoCelchu

TychoCelchu Member

True that! I feel precisely the opposite :) In fact NBC would probably get my vote for the worst album in recent metal history. I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate Soilwork.

10. General Zod

Are you certain you don't merely hate, hate, hate, hate, hate them? :loco:

Zod

11. BenMech

BenMech student of the d'eh

Q4t.

There's nothing specifically wrong with a Swano clone when Dan himself is in absentia. Or being a Soilwork clone when Soilwork went the way of the buffalo.

Scar Symmetry just did both with fair to middling success.

And I liked Unmoored's albums

12. hoodaman

hoodaman Is it live or is it Dave?

Don't really dig on the vocals too much. Music's good but I may end up listening to Solution .45 and gravitating away from SS...

13. Purveyor Of Evil

Purveyor Of Evil Heavy Metal, INC.

SS's new tune sounds incredible to me. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

14. edgeofthorns

edgeofthorns 24 Hours Ago...

I've been listening to Halographic Universe and it has to be one of the best metal albums ever! With that said, since the lineup changes, how does the new one, overall, stand against Halographic Universe?

~Brian~

15. Wherewolf

Wherewolf New Metal Member

I'm a huge fan as well, so I was skeptical going into "Dark Matter Dimensions". But being the fact that it was a vocal change the song writing remained the same. The new singers are great and the album sits right up there with "Holographic Universe" for sure man. 1 of my top 10 this year.