This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

New Symphony X album Underworld in July!!!!

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by dtfanatic, May 18, 2015.

1. Mardoch

Mardoch Defender of the Universe

I've often considered them Kansas: The Metal Years, only a bit crazier.

2. General Zod

General Zod Ruler of Australia

I too am surprised. V is my favorite SX record.

3. Harvester

Harvester The Promoter

I think it's safe to say that between this and other recent critiques, you just aren't much of a fan of warm & melodic prog.

You're like the politest Manowar fan I know! :D

4. Harvester

Harvester The Promoter

Even though we lost you to the darkness long ago, this brings back the warm fuzzies. It's like you remember that you were once among the rest of us sheep.

+1 on V.

5. dtfanatic

dtfanatic Member

I just got mine today so I'll be listening soon. Count me in as liking V as well. Other than the first two and Twilight I'm a fan of all of them.

6. Purveyor Of Evil

Purveyor Of Evil Heavy Metal, INC.

You are right. Warm and proggy does nothing for me at all. Heavy and aggressive is where it's at. That is why Lane and I bust balls. All in fun of course. And, yes, I have been a huge Manowar fan since high school back in the 80's.

7. Purveyor Of Evil

Purveyor Of Evil Heavy Metal, INC.

Yep, I hate it.

8. General Zod

Right now, half my Top 10 would have the makings of a solid Friday night ProgPower XVII:

Abnormal Thought Patterns - Altered States of Consciousness
    Ghost Ship Octavius - Ghost Ship Octavius
    Iris Divine - Karma Sown
    Iron Savior - Megatropolis 2.0
    Symphony X - Underworld

The other half:

Alustrium - A Tunnel to Eden
    Drudkh - A Furrow Cut Short
    Hackneyed - Inhabitants of Carcosa
    Locrian - Infinite Dissolution
    Sarin - Burial Dream

Half the time I like being a sheep, half the time I enjoy a nice glass of sheep's blood. :devil:

9. Bear

Bear Got Shred??

Everything else but Iron Savior is awesome to me. GSO is my ultimate surprise debut album of the last few years and Iris Divine is awesome!!!

Cannot comment on Sheep's blood, does nothing for me....

Bear

10. Bear

Bear Got Shred??

Ahhh there we go, understood now. Never liked or been into Manowar, so yeah but there is not much warm and proggy (except a few power ballads here and there) about Symphony X in my opinion, they keep getting heavier and heavier.... This is why the world of metal rules, so many different channels, options, genres yadda yadda yadda.... :devil:

Bear

11. Metal66

Metal66 Member

Listening to it right now, killer stuff indeed. I'll take any kind of SX I can get. END OF DISCUSSION!!!

12. General Zod

Have you given the new one a shot? I've never been a fan. But for some reason, the new disc is just a perfect blend of 90s power metal, some 80s metal sensibilities, and an awesome production.

I was really hoping one of the two would get the spot vacated by Anubis Gate (whose cancellation truly bummed me out).

We were doing shots of it in my room last year; you just don't remember. :loco:

13. DustyV

DustyV Member

Wow, this new Symphony X has soooo much awesomeness in it!!! I didn't even care for the their last 2 cds, but I absolutely love this one, so they must be doing something different :)........I bought it as soon as I heard it on Spotify(like 10 minutes after).

I'm hearing lots of different influences too. The pre-chorus and musical arrangement of Without you, reminds me of Redemption for some reason, when he sings, "I've come undone"..... I can't think of what song it is, but I keep having Redemption in my mind when I hear that part.

Also, Russell sounds a bit like Jorn Lande on that song. In another song Russell reminds me of Damian Wilson...... A couple of the earlier tracks reminded me a bit of Testament.........The songs are very catchy and melodic and remain very heavy at times.... It's like they brought it all together in one package......... I would even say that this is teetering on "Masterpiece" for me anyway........and I very rarely use that word.

14. Bear

Bear Got Shred??

Okay you know what, I have not listened to the new IS, I will try before I buy, so to speak...

As am I, I was seriously looking forward to their set, maybe someday in the future?

Oh shit, is that what that was, we need a freaking upgrade this year, i'll find something copperish tasting and a bit slathery with a bit more kick! :loco:

Ha!!!

Bear

15. General Zod

:lol::lol::lol:

16. Palabra de Dios

Palabra de Dios Heavy Metal Weatherman

I have honestly not found any problem with any of the Symphony X albums. Russell has one of the best voices in metal, Michael Romeo is one of the best guitarists anywhere. I have my favorites, because The Odyssey was the first I heard from them, and still my favorite because I wore it completely out as a teenager newly discovering "real" metal. But going back and listening to Divine Wings, Damnation Game, and V, and Olympus, etc., just made me like them more.

Interesting to see that the divide between fans is of the "warmer" sound, as Glenn said, of the band on V and the balls-out aggression on Paradise Lost. I like both. Let's all hug it out. I'll take a cup of Sheep's Blood as well.

17. Justin G

Justin G Member

I guess I'm alone here, but I'm not really loving this disc. Maybe it will grow on me, but two spins in and I can't really recall any specific songs.

18. DustyV

DustyV Member

Wow, that's surprising Justin. I think it's some of the more catchier and melodic songs that they've come up with me and I didn't like their last 2 cds at all........Even most of the reviews point out that the songs have more hooks and are catchier than of their recent past. ...

19. Justin G

Justin G Member

I thought Iconoclast was the best thing they have released, and was hoping for more along those lines.

20. DustyV

DustyV Member

Yea, I think with this one they decided to bring something to the table for the fans of their older material. I definitely see more in common with Divine Wings of Tragedy, which is their signature masterpiece album and my favorite. I liked maybe one or two songs on Iconoclast. I was one of those that didn't care for the constant angry Russell singing. He has way too good of a voice for that... It does fit with some songs though, as Kiss of Fire is about as bad ass at they come......The riffage and vocals and catchy chorus in that song........WOW!