This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Join the Chaos

Want to join in with the rest of the Hate Crew? Sign up today!

Newcomer - Which album?

Discussion in 'Children Of Bodom' started by enjibenji89, Jan 28, 2011.

1. enjibenji89

enjibenji89 New Metal Member

I can't decide between Are You Dead Yet? and Hate Crew Deathroll, I'm hoping someone can help me out.

I have heard If You Want Peace... and I adore it because it's catchy and heavy. I was going to buy AYDY based on that song but I have heard there new album is very good.

Considering I love that song, should I stick with that album or is there more catchier/heavier songs on the latest album? Also, I remember seeing a video of theirs on Scuzz once, it had them like sat around a table playing banjo's? Maybe...I can't remember. But it wasn't heavy and want to know what album it's on

2. tempestadiossa

You can listen to basically all of their discography on YouTube. Give both albums a listen and pick the one you like the best. On these boards you won't get many AYDY? votes over HCDR.

3. enjibenji89

enjibenji89 New Metal Member

I gave a couple of the songs from each album a quick listen to just now. I'm still unsure. Might just pick one and see how it goes...

I assume your more of a HCDR fan?

4. tempestadiossa

Definitely. I would pick HCDR over AYDY? any time.

5. (__Joonas__)

(__Joonas__) † Followed the Reaper †

You can listen to all of their songs on Youtube.

If you want the best Bodom albums, also the ones that are considered "true Bodom," then buy Follow the Reaper and Hatebreeder.

And I can't see the financial obstacle either since you can find their albums for 4e a piece in internet auctions.

6. srob7001

srob7001 I shred faces off for fun

All their albums are great IMO. I like each for different reasons.

Like Joonas said you can find used albums for cheap, so pick up an older one and get blooddrunk so you have a new one. And if you still like Bodom at that point you can buy the brand new RRF album in March.

7. (__Joonas__)

(__Joonas__) † Followed the Reaper †

Yeah, the old and new material are so different, so maybe better to buy one of the first three albums and one of the three new albums at first. Of course you should buy them all.

8. tempestadiossa

It's their cover of Creedence Clearwater Revival's Lookin' out my back door and can be found on their cover album Skeletons in the closet.

9. kilon

kilon I told you!

I would advice you NOT to get Something Wild first though. It is pretty different from the next three (Hatebreeder, Follow the Reaper, HCDR) and takes some time to get used to

10. NorthernQueen

NorthernQueen Pencil Artist

My experience was mostly AYDY? at first. I think it's a good gateway album, because quite frankly it's the easiest listening. From there I explored BD and worked my way backwards. Now if you ask me which album is best it'll really just depend on my mood. The feel of each album is so different and unique, and for me, I love them all, but in a different way. If I were you I would just take a song or two from each album to listen to (Youtube is your friend) and decide what you personally like best. :) Discography available on official website, I assume you can read and thus navigate that lovely section of the interwebs...

11. Crzy_Aus

Crzy_Aus Crazy Violin Guy

Just get HCDR and see if you like it. It's pretty much the culmination of CoB's creativity. May not have as many strong "hits" as Hatebreeder or Follow the Reaper, but IMO it's the strongest album overall. I'd say stay away from AYDY?

Then again, just listen to all albums on youtube and decide which one you want to get *shrug*.

Another idea - get the Chaos Ridden Years DVD and then see which songs you like best.

Not unless you're a devoted fan. IMO, the only ones worth getting if you're not are HCDR, TW and either FTR or CRY.

12. The Bringer

The Bringer Member

Hatebreeder is the obvious answer. Probably one of the best albums in heavy metal history.

After that Follow teh Reaper then HCDR.

13. tempestadiossa

Although I agree with your second statement, I wouldn't call it an obvious answer after the OP has specifically stated they enjoy a song like IYWPPFR.

14. The Bringer

The Bringer Member

If You Want Peace... is about the thrashiest song they've done so the problem here is that they don't really have a whole lot of other material that really matches that track. So that is why I recommended Hatebreeder. It maybe not thrash the night away but it is fast and has some of their strongest material.

15. P4T0U

P4T0U Member

I think you would like HCDR or Blooddrunk, considering you like IYWPPFW.

16. GivingYouTheFinger

To chime in on this, if you really like the style of the AYDY songs, I'd go with that one and/or Blooddrunk. If you're a bigger fan of the heaviness of the HCDR songs, go with that, Follow The Reaper, or Hatebreeder. I agree either way with Kilon that Something Wild is probably not the best to start with...it's definitely the most "death metal" of their stuff.

Personally, I had heard of them years ago, but it was Blooddrunk that actually got me into them. I basically got that, loved it, then got FTR and SW together. Shortly after that, got AYDY and then HCDR. My favorite sound is HCDR...to me, it incorporates the best COB elements...it's not all straight death style, and its not too thrashy, and my favorite song is the slowest they've done (not counting covers), Angels Don't Kill from that album.

You'll find that a lot of the people on here basically hate the newer style sound which really began with AYDY. As for me, COB is COB and its all great. True, I tend to like the middle stuff the best, but it's all awesome.

Welcome.

17. EndlessWhore

EndlessWhore Member

Something Wild is by far their best album. Follow the Reaper for me was the easiest to get into, but once I got into Hatebreeder and Something Wild they were my favorites. The Wild has the best melodies that sound like something out of the Castlevania video game, aka Bach on crack, which is awesome.

I am pretty positive that once you get into the aura of the first 3 Bodom albums they will be your favorite.

18. mocobhc

mocobhc Member

^What worked for you wouldn't have worked for me. Not sure if I would've bought everything else I could find and would've grown such a big fan if I'd have heard SW first instead of Hatebreeder. Except of Lake Bodom and Deadnight Warrior, SW songs are the ones I listen to least of all. It's all about opinion, thus I think it's pointless recommending one of the albums. He/she should judge by listening to two songs off each album via youtube and then decide which one to get. If he/she loved IYPPFW it could happen he/she hates FTR :eek: Just saying.

19. FridgePack

FridgePack That Swede!

And then, which songs? =)

My suggestion: (Please post your own)

Something Wild (1997)
    Lake Bodom
    Red Light In My Eyes Pt. 1

Hatebreeder (1999) Probably the hardest album to choose only two songs from:
    Hatebreeder
    Downfall

Follow The Reaper (2000):
    Bodom After Midnight
    Hate Me!

Hate Crew Deathroll (2003):
    Needled 24/7
    Angels Don't Kill

Are You Dead Yet? (2005):
    Are You Dead Yet?
    In Your Face

Blooddrunk (2008):
    Blooddrunk
    Tie My Rope

---------------------------------------------------------------

Just what I think, and to be totally clear with that- Theese are not my favorite songs or "the best songs of the album or anything". They are picked by my own feeling of songs that kind of describe that "-era" or album in general.

20. Dantess9226

Dantess9226 FINN BALOR

Listening to the new albums (Are you dead Yet? and Bloodrunk) will allow you to get a taste for the new sound before moving backwards into the older material- this will allow you to be a fan of both without resenting the band/their sound for changing their style. I find that helps with most bands.