This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Next OSX "Mountain Lion" will drop 32bits

Discussion in 'Backline' started by pifos_2, Mar 19, 2012.

1. loktide

loktide Member

i regret upgrading to Lion on my iMac :(

i'll be downgrading to SL soon, though

2. DeclanWhite

DeclanWhite Senior Member

that's one of the things that annoyed the shit out of me about lion. they're trying to over simplify their OS. which is fucked

3. Siguros

Siguros Member

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...-32-bit-kernel-mode-in-mountain-lion-dp2.html

They dropped the 32-bit kernel for the full release, developers still has 32 bit atm though. That means you'll have to run 32 bit plugins through the stupid bridge in Logic that never works properly.

Honestly it won't be worth upgrading to ML anyway, why pay $30 for iOS upgrades like the game centre and notifications? That stuff was created for the portable handheld devices so I have no idea why they thought it'd be good for the desktop or laptop.

4. Siguros

Siguros Member

Be sure to back up all your stuff as I'm pretty sure you have to re-install.

5. greyskull

greyskull Member

My laptop for general pissing about etc is on Lion, and It's pretty good. But my production Mac pro is on 10.6.8 and staying there for the foreseeable future!

6. Loren Littlejohn

Loren Littlejohn Lover of all boobage.

I agree with this as well, and if everything I used would just fucking hurry the fuck up and get with the times I wouldn't have any issues moving to a 64 bit setup.

7. Siguros

Siguros Member

But this is the reason the huge leap is gonna be annoying as hell, since old plugins are still in 32-bit and some developers have mostly abandoned the projects.

8. LeSedna

LeSedna Mat or Mateo

To those who stay in SL : what problems do you experience with Lion ? Everything is so smooth on my setup and I'm curious.

Dunno what to think about this, my audio setup works well with the reaper bridging except minor cosmetic issues, I'm actually more worried about my dozens of little apps I can't live without anymore.

9. AdamWathan

AdamWathan Member

I fucking HATE Lion, really regret updating. Oh you liked Exposé? Too bad, replaced with shitty Mission Control. Oh all your favorites and stuff in Finder? yeah we made those black and white now so it's even harder to tell the difference between each item. Oh, fucking SAVE AS? Yeah we got rid of that too. Oh you plugged in a USB drive with a text file, opened the text file and edited something, then closed it without saving, expecting nothing to happen? Yeaaaah, we autosaved over your original text file without warning you at all and now you can never get it back.

Fucking ridiculous, worst update to an OS I've ever experienced.

10. PhilTheBeard

PhilTheBeard "The Beard"

Damn that blow's for all you guy's :/ i just started looking into a mac laptop. but i think i might just stick with my pc laptop for awhile.

11. drew_drummer

drew_drummer Dancefap

Porting plugins and hosts to 64bit is a massive task; time consuming, expensive to develop, and the incentive needs to be there. That's why everyone is at different levels with it.

12. Jarkko Mattheiszen

Jarkko Mattheiszen The FU guy.

Shit evolves, and at one point or another, I think this was necessary to make the developers realize it's about time to get on with the 64bit train.

Then again, no-one is forced to update, so no-one should be screwed. Even if you buy a new machine, you can grab a copy of SL or Lion and do a fresh install.

13. sprack

sprack Thread Killer

Only if you're writing inline assembly.

14. Siguros

Siguros Member

Hahaha you're going to hate yourself for this, open the text file and hover over the right of the title and a little arrow will appear, click it and choose 'browse versions'.

It's actually pretty damn sweet if you ask me, say one of your friends overwrites a text file you had open with an ASCII cock and saves it, you'd usually be left with the ASCII cock... but now you can click versions and go back to the version before it (Much like Time Machine)

Enjoy.

15. AdamWathan

AdamWathan Member

Yeah this works with files on your hard drive, but if you read my post again I'm talking about stuff on external drives. If you have a FAT32 formatted USB key that you use to work on small files between your Mac at home and the PCs at school for example, you are fucked. The "versions" stuff does not get saved to the USB key, so the "autosaving" just overwrites the original file with no warning.

"Versions" is a useful tool if it only fucking happened when I hit save but the autosaving ruins it. And the fact that "Save as..." was removed is extremely frustrating. I'm editing a Pixelmator image and want to save as JPEG? Have to either go File>Export then go through this dumb series of wizards, or File>Duplicate, then File>Save. None of these commands have keyboard shortcuts either so you have to assign them yourself from system preferences. Before I could just hit command+shift+S to Save As and I was in business. I have no idea what the reasoning is behind removing such a fundamental feature and replacing it with more tedious steps.

16. xTomx

xTomx Member

Oh, you want to bitch and moan about an operating system when you didn't spend 30 seconds searching how to use it properly? Well then you're stuck with user error.

EDIT: Just read your reply, I've got a firewire drive with a FAT32 partiton for this stuff.
    No problems with Lion whatsoever on a 2008 15" MBP, Mission Control does literally everything Exposé ever did, plus the trackpad gestures make life so much easier.

17. Machinated

Machinated Member

lion hasnt really given me any problems at all. computing is going to change a lot in the near future and these differences will make everything work a lot better when it comes

18. AdamWathan

AdamWathan Member

No it doesn't. It stacks all windows from the same application into a pile of impossible to navigate shit. You now have you use a combination of Mission Control AND App Expose to be able to see all of the windows you are working with. Exposé was better. Try having 7 images open in Photoshop and using Mission Control to jump between them. App Expose works well for this but Exposé did both functions in one without dealing with assigning separate shortcuts to both.

And are you telling me you prefer the new duplicate then save method over good old Save As?

19. oroinvictus

oroinvictus dangert billy

First world problems. Jesus christ you guys are nitpicky.

20. mva801

mva801 Member

It's always a pain in the ass when a developer updates and changes things around. It's like if someone came in a re-arranged every cabinet in your kitchen. Are the plates still there? Do they still hold food? Yeah but GOD DAMN IT I WAS USED TO THE OTHER WAY. It's an inevitable fact with computing though. Updates and changes will come. I just tend to ignore them a bit longer than others, because I get stuck in my ways and like knowing where to go for everything.