This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Next OSX "Mountain Lion" will drop 32bits

Discussion in 'Backline' started by pifos_2, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Jarkko Mattheiszen

Jarkko Mattheiszen The FU guy.

MagicPrefs and a three-finger click on my Magic Mouse brings up app Exposé. I've used it that way since I got my Mac in 2009, and I greatly prefer it to the regular Exposé in pre-Lion. It gets hard to navigate quickly, since I often keep a ton of programs open at one.

2. oroinvictus

oroinvictus dangert billy

I can relate to that. It certainly is disorienting when things aren't where you typically expect them to be. I suppose I just pick up small changes fairly easily...

3. ballstix

ballstix Member

Yeah, I'm all for the death of 32-bit, as long as devs pick up on it. It's not gonna be a seamless transition, but I think I just about use 64-bit plugins exclusively anyway. There'll be more of an issue outside of the audio production world.

4. Code001

Code001 Member

Never used Exposé, nor Mission Control. I keep separate main apps on different desktop spaces. For example, I use iTunes in one space, my browser in another, Logic in another, Photoshop in another, and so on. It keeps everything cleaner, and I'm able to switch between them fast. The individual windows get consolidated into that space, so I don't need to go scouring through tons of windows to get to where I need to be. If I need to share windows, I just temporarily change the desktop space. It took me a bit to relearn the muscle memory because SL handled separate desktops differently than Lion, but it wasn't a big change in the way I operated.

Not sure what you mean by the favorites being harder to see. I'm assuming you mean the things like Hard Drives, Library, Networks, etc. on the sidebar in the Finder window. I don't seem to have an issue deciphering between the names, and the icons seem to be different enough to where it shouldn't be an issue. :confused: I keep the following things here: Applications, Music, Library, Root, Public (Dropbox), Networks and Hard Drives.

For the USB stick thing, just click Revert:

[​IMG]

Sucks that Lion didn't work out for you, though. Everyone has their personal preferences, after all.

Edit: Saw your Pixelmator comment. I've never used this application, but Photoshop has a Save As... function, and it works just like the other Save As... features. You could maybe try using that instead?

5. drew_drummer

drew_drummer Dancefap

LOL. Just not true.

6. sprack

sprack Thread Killer

Depends on whether you care about endianism, if you are doing long shifts, if you are constrained by alignment issues, and there are performance issues to be analyzed between the two. But in general these are far bigger issues for driver writers than apps. We've found that most code ports fairly easily.

Writing code to correctly multi-thread or parallelize is far harder than porting from 32-64bit.

7. Rob Logic

Rob Logic yayyyyyy!

I guess it's how an OS fits into your work flow. I bought a Mac Mini server which came preloaded with Lion Server and I haven't had one issue with it. I actually rather like mission control. I don't prefer it over my macbook pro with SL, it's just different and definitely not in a bad way but that's just my perception of it and how I use it.

8. greyskull

greyskull Member

Can I just say that I just plain don't use any of the fancy shit they added after tiger? Exposé? nope! Mission COntrol Hell No, spaces I toyed with for a while but it did my head in.

I just use the dock and CMD +Tab!

9. zvish

zvish Member

10. Siguros

Siguros Member

:guh::guh::guh:

11. hct

hct Member

It depends. As far as I know, plugins are rarely developed from ground up. If you control all the code, it's much easier, but it's not the case mostly. In case you use third party modules/libraries, it's not rare that even if there is a good 64bit support in it, you often have to adapt to the new API, which often behaves differently etc etc. Sometimes you have to drop some library at all. A good example is the Carbon vs Cocoa issue in MacOSX.

And it's not less important that a supporting 64bit effectively doubles the number of DAWs you have to test your plugins on.

12. arv_foh

arv_foh Brian K

that's weird I use the bridge all the time and never have any problems with it

13. C_F_H_13

C_F_H_13 Protools Guru

havn't read any of the thread further than this post, but I absolutely agree.

14. C_F_H_13

C_F_H_13 Protools Guru

oh and another gripe about lion. Does anyone else notice that the scrolling is the opposite now compared to what it was?

15. JeffTD

JeffTD Senhor Testiculo

You can change that in the user pref pane, thank fuck. They wanted it to react like the iPhone/pad scrolling, which would be cool if we weren't scrolling on NOT A SCREEN.

16. C_F_H_13

C_F_H_13 Protools Guru

that's sweet, or would be had I stayed with lion and not bailed.

17. JeffTD

JeffTD Senhor Testiculo

I've been away for spring break and working with it on my laptop this week. At first I told myself "nah it's not bad if I'm not doing production stuff, I'll keep it on, some of the additions are nice."

NOPE. They blow. Going back to SL on Friday night and never looking back.

18. egan.

egan. daylightdies.com

I really don't mind Lion. I'm still on SL for production but I'm typing this on Lion. There are little annoyances but I've disabled most of that stuff. Anyway, I'm glad someone is finally forcing 64bit. Developers have proven that they'll drag it out forever given the option.

19. Rex Rocker

Rex Rocker Call me Hugo!

I'm thinking about downgrading to Snow Leopard, TBH.

I just got a new MBP and thought it was kinda lame. Wonder if I use my past macbook's installation disks, I can get the Snow Leopard install to work.

20. LeSedna

LeSedna Mat or Mateo

For me the new scrolling in Lion is much more natural. My hand gesture is reflected on the screen and it is proportional to it, I don't see why it's not on a touchscreen would make a difference since your finger will move in a direction somewhere anyway. Wether it is on my trackpad or on the magic mouse, it feels so more natural and when I revert it it feels weird.

I don't think it's a problem anyway, it took me 10s to get used to it even after 15 years of previous experience the other way around.

My only problem with MacOs atm...

Y U NO CUT-PASTE ?

It's even native in the unix commands so why the fuck wouldn't it be allowed to CMD-X files in the Finder ? I hate having to keep the window open to drag the files or use a 3rd party app for that that is not as reliable as the actual command line. It's the most retarded idea ever.

And I hate the way windows are maximized natively. Thanks god there are many little apps to make it behave more like W7 (drag a window to an edge of the screen to maximize it to half or the entire screen, or make the green + button behave like a real maximize). I hate working on an app and see the desktop in the background.

Question with 64 bit : is there a quick way to test all the apps we use to see if they work on 64, like with a command line or by examining processes or do I have to manually find the info for everyone of them ?

Other question : how to examine or kill or whatever the apps that are stacked in the top line of the screen ? You know, all those passive little apps that load on startup and add their icon up there. I would like to see where I can see them listed and control them more ?

Last stupid question : I've never installed a cloned Mac. If I try the new os when it's out, and find that I lose too many apps for the moment an want to go back, would it be possible by using my previous time machine save, or is there any trick due to the fact it's going back and forth between 32 and 64 ? I don't see why it would make a difference but I prefer to ask since I'm a virgin in this process.