This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Next OSX "Mountain Lion" will drop 32bits

Discussion in 'Backline' started by pifos_2, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Code001

Code001 Member

Regarding the Cut & Paste, why not use Copy and Paste instead? Command + C & Command + V
    Regarding the 64 bit question, you can use Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder. However, the application(s) will have to be running.
    Regarding the startup apps, go to System Preferences -> Users & Groups -> Login Items
    Regarding the different OS, I personally install a fresh copy onto a Firewire drive and boot from that when I'm testing out operating systems. Another thing you can do is partition your current hard drive. Today's partitioning software lets you partition without having to reformat and lose all of your information. You can just install the OS on that specific partition then.

2. LeSedna

LeSedna Mat or Mateo

I do use copy paste obviously but it's annoying as hell, I wanna move the file not copy it and then suppress the original. I don't know why mac users don't complain about this basic feature that existed since the beginning of times on every OS in the world and that is removed from the user interface that is Finder. I really really don't get it ! There is an app called moveAddict to emulate that but it sometimes doesn't respond correctly.

Thanks for the tip, I didn't know the Activity Monitor shows the 64bit state of processes, I feel stupid for not thinking about it in the first place. I'm happy to discover all my apps except Cinch and Dropbox already run in 64bit. Just waiting for an update there, they will probably be forced now anyway.

Waves going 64bit means that almost all my plugins will be 64 bit so I will be able to switch to reaper 64bit without the hassle of bridging even if it does works well (just cosmetic issues of sluggish refresh rate and having a dedicated window for every plugin) .

To me forcing 64bit is good, it's about time someone does something about it to force developers to move on and be done with 32bit.

I think I will test on a drive as you mentioned, that seems like the easiest way.

3. Code001

Code001 Member

Try getting into the habit of doing this, assuming you don't already:

Highlight what you want
    Command + C
    Command + Delete
    Command + V
    Command + Shift + Delete whenever you feel like it

First keystroke combo copies, second moves it to the trash (what the cut option would most likely do), third pastes and the fourth empties the trash. You'll be doing two key strokes instead of one, but it'll always be reliable as it's utilizing built-in functions inside the OS. That's about the only option I can think of, unfortunately. It sucks when an OS doesn't do what you want it to; I've dealt with that in the past, and it's actually why I prefer OS X to Windows. However, that doesn't mean OS X is for everyone. When an OS starts getting in the way of your workflow, you either have to find another OS/another version, find a third-party solution or simply deal with it. :(

4. LeSedna

LeSedna Mat or Mateo

Yeah I already use these, along with dragging + shift or dragging + CMD. I still don't get it, the "mv" unix command is built in the very core of the OS, it's an active decision by apple to not make it available in the workflow. Anyway I'm stopping my hijack there !

Edit : i Think I found what I needed :
    -CMD + V copies but
    -CMD + OPTION + V moves the file

Also, found this little gem which I'm gonna try and probably buy :
    http://totalfinder.binaryage.com/

5. Kenny Lee

Kenny Lee Member

Hehehe... yeah I didn't much care for lion either.
    What's with all the cat names Apple?
    I ain't upgrading till version PUSSY
    10.0 cheetah
    10.1 puma
    10.2 jaguar
    10.3 panther
    10.4 tiger
    10.5 leopard
    10.6 snow leopard
    10.7 lion
    10.8 mountain lion
    10.9 xxxxxx cat name

11.0 PUSSY!!!!!! yee haawww:loco:
    11.1 mountain pussy ?

6. oroinvictus

oroinvictus dangert billy

+1, OS X has so many handy built-in key commands.

7. jangoux

jangoux Member

TotalFinder brings cut and paste do osx :)

8. JakeAC5253

JakeAC5253 Frozen Sun Audio

Very true. My next computer is a Windows based system. Shame to say that because I've been happily using an OSX system for years. Lately my OS has become very unstable, and it seems to be triggered by using either Exposé or Spaces, which I use very frequently. I am still on 10.5.8, never saw the reason to upgrade to Snow Leopard either. I did research on the crashes I've been experiencing, and it seems to affect all versions of OSX and is traced back to one system update. Excuse is Apple "doesn't know what is causing the crashes" so they basically can't fix their own OS. These crashes made me lose an external hard drive that's been with me for years. Sorry to say this is probably the confirmation I need to know for sure that I am jumping ship.

I'll still never use a goddamn Dell, bleh.