This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Night Is The New Day

Discussion in 'Katatonia' started by Kitiini, Oct 31, 2009.

1. LifeDepraved

LifeDepraved My soul got a crack

I though Jack needed a girlfriend?

2. FlawedCoil82

FlawedCoil82 Member

I've had enough of those for right now. Far more misery than they are worth.

3. Nightmare_Heaven

Nightmare_Heaven Death Disco

Got the album a day or two ago..still a little confused that i was actually holding NEW Katatonia in my hands..I'm still digesting it, and I think I will be for a long time, but the first impression it left me with has been a pleasing one...

..so far Forsaker, The Longest Year, Liberation, The Promise of Deceit, and Day and Then the Shade jumped out to me the most on the initial listen, although I've enjoyed every track i can tell this is gonna be a grower and it'll take some time. There's definitely a lot more variety than on TCGD (although I did LOVE that album a lot), more like the TGCD b-sides.

..I'm liking the subtle electronic elements of the music as well, it's nice to hear more programmed beats and stuff in Katatonia's music because the stuff they do these days works so well with it, really adds to the whole feeling and imagery of cities, etc which has been in their artwork for some time now...and speaking of artwork, all the artwork on this album is really well done. Also all the little lyrical references to other songs..."month of July"..."Dreams of sleepers"...."the unforgiving voice"...etc, really cool!

This is actually the first time Katatonia has released a *new* album since I've been into them (I became a fan sometime after TGCD came out)..and just as every album of theirs that I heard was (and still is) relevant to me when I first heard it, Night is the New Day manages to be relevant to me now, except refreshingly so as it's a new record....so thanks guys:)

4. verma

verma Member

The chorus of Ashen is the best god damn moment in the album. I was high and i was walking alone under the moon in the empty city with hundreads of headlights and it was just so fucking atmospheric, like a little drug trip, if you ask me.

5. myownsilence

myownsilence The Influenced

It's good to hear people enjoying the album. Like most katatonia it feels one of uncertainty as to how one will feel over listening time. For me though there is no real song that grabs me in a teargas way many more feel more like deliberation or evidense.

I love the album it however is not the pinicle of katatonia songwriting.

Something holds it back being the equivelent to paradise losts host. I think so of the singing although good feels rushed in places and uncomprehendable.

For example when he sings beloved he leaves of the be this is diction and should have been fixed by a producer.

Yes I'm winging katatonia are on their 9th or so studio album. I love it it's great the whole concept is awsome it should however have been better

6. verma

verma Member

more lead guitars, yes?

7. Jinn

Jinn Saint

aye i was disappointed on the lack of leads that the keyboards filled for.

8. burton

burton Member

The lack of leads never really bothered me, even on TGCD. I figure if the song needed a solo, it'd have one.

9. BloodSword

BloodSword Member

Album of 2009. Period.

10. myownsilence

myownsilence The Influenced

It could have been one of the best rock albums ever made, thats whats sort of unfortunate, it was almost there.

11. ghost_of_the_dawn

ghost_of_the_dawn Electric InsomniA

PLZ help in this case ... PLZ.

12. season1234

season1234 Member

Ashen should have been on the album, it's just too good for a bonus track, I enjoy it more than a few of the other tracks that made the official cut. I felt the same way with Separated by Amorphis. It was better than several tracks on Skyforger, but not placed on the album, just a b-side.

13. Purple Haze

Purple Haze Left To Rot

Its the Unfurl syndrome :)

14. gumtree

gumtree Member

I too got a signed postcard which was smudged. on the front it had some of the ink from the one that it was stacked on. Still, a great addition to my collection so I'm not really complaining.

As for my opinion on the album. I think it's great sofar! I think the addition of Krister Linder in Departer was kickass. I'll need to listen to it more before I can say anything else.

15. i aint play this

Tons of tracks from this album are better than Ashen.

16. Lyre's Harmony

Lyre's Harmony Lunatic Soul

Ashen just has so many styles that resemble older songs such as the agressive clean vox in the beggining like I Break, its just so unique compared to the rest of the album, but then i suppose that's why its a bonus track.

17. FlawedCoil82

FlawedCoil82 Member

Well after several days of listening, if I had to rank my favorite songs in order from favorite to least favorite, this is how it would look.

1. The Promise Of Deceit
    2. Onward Into Battle
    3. Idle Blood
    4. Ashen
    5. Inheritance
    6. Liberation
    7. Day And Then The Shade
    8. New Night
    9. Forsaker
    10. The Longest Year
    11. Nephilim
    12. Departer (this would have been up at the top but I just can't get past Krister's vocals).

However, even by saying I have a "least favorite" song, I still love them all.
    Jack

18. OminousInane

OminousInane Like Glass...

You don't love them all cause 50 of your posts have been bitching about Linder and how much you hate Departer.

19. FlawedCoil82

FlawedCoil82 Member

Sorry, I guess you've got a point. I think I've torn apart "Departer" enough. If someone still hasn't figured out by now how disappointed that song makes me then they probably never will. So I'll drop it.
    Jack

20. Phoenix5

Phoenix5 d3v4s7a710n

departer is fucking awesome.