This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Noise gates! Which goes where?

Discussion in 'Backline' started by CraigJohnsJr, Mar 31, 2014.

1. CraigJohnsJr

CraigJohnsJr MASSiVE- Guitarist

I have an ISP decimator and a DBX 166xs. Right now the ISP is in the input chain, and the DBX is last in the effects loop. (I use one side, right into the other side, as I heard this is best.) I'm going for that my-amp-sounds-like-its-off-unless-im-playing type of deal.

I heard the ISP is best in the input chain, but the DBX 166xs has compressor options which might be nice for the guitar, and I don't know if those work in the FX loop.

Suggestions?

2. hoehlentroll

hoehlentroll Member

get the isp decimator. it works. if it doesn't, get a g-string.

3. thefalloftheheretic

Did you even READ the post? He's already got the ISP, he's just wondering which gate goes where.

4. Terminus

Terminus Member

He said he has one.

With two noise gates your setup sounds about right. I don't think any noise gate will make it sound like the amp is off though, you'll always have the light shhhhhh in every amp I've used at full volume.

5. hoehlentroll

hoehlentroll Member

yeah that's wgy I said if it doesn't work get a g-string. it has a second circuit for the fx loop. so it cuts the sound going in and out for the perfect "off" feeling. the plus on it is you can leave it on even if you change the amp to the clean channel and it won't cut off too much. never heard aof a noisegate with a single circuit thats good in the effect loop. in most cases you want that kind of gate just after the guitar. i wouldn't use two different noisegate in your rig. because the tonal behaviour would be unprediczable. thats why i said get g-string if it doesn't work although a simple isp decimator should also be ok.