This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Now Reading...

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA Lounge' started by Rakosh, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Justin G

Justin G Member

2. Justin G

Justin G Member

3. ashaman7122

ashaman7122 Crazy on a ship of fools

The Devil's Star by Jo Nesbo (Harry Hole #3) -- They call it Nordic noir, or just Norwegian crime fiction. In the mad-dash of publishers' search to find the next Stieg Larsson years ago, they started producing English versions of Jo Nesbo novels. Granted, these are British translations of the original Norwegian text, but they sure pack a heavy punch. Excellent crime feasts, indeed! Makes 'ol Stieg look like a pussy...

4. Justin G

Justin G Member

I didn't care for it. Too predictable and too similar to Connolly's Harry Bosch books.

5. jaimek

jaimek incorrigible

Yeah, Jo Nesbo didn't do a whole lot for me either - I commented on one of his books about two years ago. Wasn't bad, but didn't inspire me to go out and find more by him.

I'm committing the unspeakable and packing up a ton of books to take to the library. I actually put a respectable dent in a couple of my bookshelves...

6. ashaman7122

Never read those. Read a lot of JOHN Connolly, but not Michael. I kind of like Harry, though, faults and all. I loved The Redbreast and Nemesis, those first two books kept me very engaged, although I have been told by some friends that Devil's Star left them flat and killed their interest in further reading of Nesbo. I'm only 50 pages in thus far...so I guess I'll see how it pans out.

I guess maybe it's time to explore the world of Harry Bosch, huh?

7. ashaman7122

Yes, but that's only so you can make room for...MORE...right?

I usually have do do a quarterly re-evaluation and purging of my shelves as well...

Rock on!

8. guardian26

guardian26 Mike the Cop

I've enjoyed the Nesbo books. Pretty gritty. Just finished [​IMG]

9. Harvester

Harvester The Promoter

10. seh750

seh750 Member

[​IMG]

http://www.strikingviking.net/books/

Guy rides a motorcycle around the world, writes a couple of books about it. On the first trip he's held captive by rebels in Colombia.

I had the opportunity to meet the guy a couple of years ago and listen to him talk and watch a slide show about his trips. Truly fascinating.

11. OrbWeaver

OrbWeaver BECAUSE FALCONER

Started last week:
    [​IMG]

12. ashaman7122

Nice to know that they've held their edge for you. I know nothing about the books that come after Devil's Star.

Right now, I'm 200 pages in and continuing to love it...not sure what my friend had against it, but I haven't found the flaw yet.

Rock on!

13. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Member

14. monoxide_child

monoxide_child New Metal Member

i actually really liked the harry bosch books

so
    did you like all the social comentary on racism and homophobia??
    i like all the parts that were edited out of the movie

i like everything comes together at the end, where you realize Dr Malcolm Long's wife married a black doctor because she's scareed to death of random black people, and scared of the whole "black culture"
    the part when you realize that Sally Jupiter is a fag-hag because she has no sex drive and how she concieved Laurie even though she's only done penis-in-vagina sex once
    the part where Rorshach really really wants to kill his landlady but he doesn't because her kids are there

Malcolm Long's wife (and her white friends)
    the white guy Long's wife falsly accuses of being a white-supremisist (and his black friend)
    the lesbian couple in 1985
    rorschach's landlady and her kids
    are all edited out of the movie
    sally jupiter's husband is in the movie, but only at very very the begining, and sally's husband being completely totally gay is not really in the movie, where if you're only watching the movie and not reading the comic, you don't realize that Laurie's conception was the only time sally jupiter has done penis-in-vagina sex
    so all the social comentary on racism and homophobia is pretty much edited out of the film, and sally jupiter's psyche is shown a little different, which is understandable, the motion-comic was 6 freaking hours, where you don't quite get the full-scale epic world-building universe if you're only just watching the movie and not reading the novel

15. Justin G

Justin G Member

You...don't talk to people much, do you? :guh:

16. happytimes

happytimes Franky

About halfway through this one myself and I can honestly say that it is not what I expected. Been a big fan of the Pendergast series since The Relic and this one has jumped to being my personal favorite of the entire series. An outstanding read so far.

17. ashaman7122

Finally finished The Devil's Star by Jo Nesbo. Certainly didn't find it predictable. I was holding off on picking up anymore until I finished that one. I look forward to the rest of the series.

Just started The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie. About 100 pages in...loving the characters...

Rock on!

18. guardian26

guardian26 Mike the Cop

Awesome series!

19. ashaman7122

Is it going to be one of those series where the opening book kicks ass, but then craps out, or are the next books in the series equally worthwhile?

For example, I enjoyed Sanderson's Mistborn a lot, but the reviews on the next 2 books were so lackluster, I decided to quit while I was ahead, move on to other things, and enjoy that book at face value.

Seems like everything is designed to be a trilogy nowadays...whether it needs to be or not.

Rock on!

20. booB

booB Señor Member

Speaking for myself, I did not like the series much. But I'd imagine if you like the first book, you will like the other two; there's no real "drop" in quality or anything. I just never got attached to any of the characters, and that kills any story for me.