This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Now Reading...

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA Lounge' started by Rakosh, Aug 16, 2007.

1. kittybeast

kittybeast Member

Soft is one of my favorite reads!

working on "I shudder at your touch" (erotic horror short stories)

2. FriendOfEntropy

FriendOfEntropy Radioactivist Mutant

Decision at Thunder Rift: The Saga of the Gray Death Legion by William H. Keith

The Discipline of Grace by Jerry Bridges

3. edgeofthorns

edgeofthorns 24 Hours Ago...

I'm reading "One Hundred People That Are Screwing Up America" by Bernard Goldberg.

~Brian~

4. Rakosh

Rakosh Member

Definitely! I've read them all, including the Adversary series, but Gateways was where I stumbled across Repairman Jack for the first time.

I can't claim to be a friend of F. Paul's :erk: ...but I do work for his publisher :p . And as far as new RJ goes, Bloodline (#11 in the series) hits stores Oct 16th in hardback.

It's good to see so many sci-fi/fantasy readers on the forum helping to keep me in a job! :lol:

:Smokin:

5. Rakosh

Rakosh Member

It's a great series...better than Jordan, Cook, or Goodkind combined in my opinion. I don't think he'll pull a Martin, either, since Bonehunters will come out this fall, then Reaper's Gale in February '08. By then Tor will pretty much be caught up with the UK editions. As you know, these aren't tiny books, and they're not easy reads at times, but they're sooo worth it. So dive in soon!

6. booB

booB Señor Member

Heh, Perdido Street Station took me a very long time to read, but I'm glad I did... it was weird and cool and pretty dark. There were some things I would have left out, though... I guess it all comes with the territory of China being a young author.

I've read the Amber series, too, but it was so many years ago that I don't really remember anything about it.

7. booB

booB Señor Member

That's not really saying much. ;)

yeah... I've read the first book, and I didn't like it much... I thought it was a little too "meandering", and the ending was rather anticlimactic. I might dive back into this series at some point, but I don't read much anymore, and it would be a huge undertaking for me.

8. Rakosh

Rakosh Member

Yeah, Gardens of the Moon is tough because SE drops you into the middle of this world and he lets you figure out everything on your own (which I like!). Deadhouse Gates (#2) was written a good while later and is much more focused. It concentrates on a different area/timeline, but things start to get fleshed out better overall. Trust me, it's well-worth sticking to it.

9. Azrael LenGraden

Azrael LenGraden Lake Of Fire

NEVER SURRENDER... Biff Byford's (Saxon) autobiography... not to bad...a little scattered in time line but interesting to hear the circumstances surrounding the makings of certain albums... it's amazing how big this band his over seas and just never broke the U.S.

10. J-Man

J-Man Old as Yoda

I am re-reading all the Harry Potter book's, i just love them, and they are entertaining.

11. TychoCelchu

TychoCelchu Member

Voices From the Street by Philip K. Dick. I'm about 50 pages in. So far, so good. In Dick's SF novels sometimes the story ideas and concepts overshadow the writing style; here his actual way with words comes more into the spotlight.

12. Burnout

Burnout Faith Puppeteer

Olympos by Dan Simmons; I finished the Hyperion series not too long ago as well (thank you Manticora).

I tried reading Guns, Germs and Steel not too long ago and set it down sixty pages in. :puke:

13. ashaman7122

ashaman7122 Crazy on a ship of fools

I'd never realized that Simmons had written so many books (inside and out of Sci-Fi circles). I too finally picked up Hyperion due to the Manticora album and loved it.

In addition to his Sci-Fi novels, I've also read The Terror (historical fiction), Darwin's Blade (crime thriller), A Winter's Haunting (ghost/horror), and his Joe Kurtz novels (hard-boiled crime)...and THEY ALL KICK ASS!

Love that dude...

Rock on!

14. ashaman7122

ashaman7122 Crazy on a ship of fools

This is a great thread...especially coming from my buddy, the publishing rep...

I can 2nd his opinion on the Ericson novels...they are a complex, difficult read, but a very ambitious concept. I'm cranking through the novels as best as I can (but not fast enough for Rakosh...tyrant!).

I can't help but comment at the juvenile, homo-erotic irony of reading a book called Deeper by a guy named Long, Glenn...sheesh!...sorry, couldn't resist...

Nice to see China Mieville get some exposure as well...

It's nice to see what a well-read group of metalhead degenerates we are...

Oh, by the way...now reading...

Been hooked on the thriller/crime novels lately...and I'm currently hooked on Robert Crais...fun stuff!

Rock on!

15. Magius

Magius .................

Robert Newcomb- A March Into Darkness (Blood and Stone series)
    Rebel Fay- Barb & JC Hendee (Noble Dead series)
    Robert Jordan- Knife Of Dreams (Wheel of Time #11)

16. Burnout

Burnout Faith Puppeteer

I'm definitely planning on checking out the books he's written outside of the sci fi genre once I finish Olympos. I've thoroughly enjoyed all of the others I've read so far.

17. halcyonwayband@aol.com

halcyonwayband@aol.com Guitars - Halcyon Way

Currently: Spook Country by William Gibson

Recently:
    Thirteen by Richard K. Morgan....this guy is killer
    Neuromancer (again) by William Gibson

Next: Deeper by Jeff Long (sequel to The Descent)

18. Yippee38

Yippee38 Living the dream!

Agreed. Robert Jordan belongs in Zod's list of overrated list of overrated stuff.

You have to read Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons. It's a great twist on the vampire thing. It's really novel (no pun intended). Children of the Night was also good by him.

I thought I posted this before, but it looks like it didn't work.

I made yardleybates read The Phoenix Guard. It's a great, fun read.

I'm currently reading Water Sleeps by Glen Cook. Cook and Brust are my two favorite authors. While Brust's work is pretty complex (plot-wise) and funny, Cook's is gritty and funny.

If you'd like a challenge, try reading the Instrumentalities of the Night books by Glen Cook. That's another book where he throws you into a world and you figure out what is going on as you read. It's great stuff, but it takes some thinking. Robert Jordan fans need not bother.

19. Judas_C

Judas_C Old School

Currently reading On the Road by Jack Kerouac, Zen Guitar by Philip Toshio Sudo, and History of Jazz by Ted Gioia. Still to come Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson. Got alot of reading to do.

20. Ruthven

Ruthven Member

Right now I am reading a couple of things to prepare for DragonCon, after that I plan to read Mike Carey's "The Devil You Know" and also Liz Williams' "Snake Agent."

Awesome thread, I never paid attention to this part of the forum before (so sorry when I've posted off-topic in the "main" forum). I'll add this to my usual rounds.

I haven't read Jacqueline Carey's books but she is cool in person and an attractive woman as well. One day I might read those Martin books, I just don't have the time or desire to commit to multi-book epics. That is what turns me off of most contemporary fantasy these days.