This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

NYDM

Discussion in 'General Metal Discussion' started by Dazed and Brutal, Mar 25, 2007.

1. LivingCadaver

LivingCadaver Cause à effet.

I guess the smiley emoticons never laugh hard enough.

2. plaguewilder

plaguewilder Member

The first 2 Asphyx albums are some of the best early 90's albums to be sure. The NY death sound does nothing for me actually. A few bands are quite good but...The best NYDM album by a long shot is Dawn of Possession.

3. ohiogrinder

ohiogrinder New Metal Member

sorry dude but when you've been a grind fan like me for so long you get jaded. brutal truth is too 'tech' for me. I like grind thats crusty and noisy, not shit that sounds like the band had millions of dollars to invest in months of studio time to make their records sound sterile and bland. that's just falseness right there.

4. Zephyrus

Zephyrus Tyrants and Slaves

Suffocation was great live but I generally don't listen to NYDM. I've heard stuff like Immolation and Incantation and I see it is of very good quality, but I'm generally disinterested in NYDM.

5. cookiecutter

cookiecutter Proceed to Ultraslamming

I have Harnessing Ruin by Immolation and I really didn't like it. The vocals just seemed like deep talking except the last syllable was accented like-Ah this-Ah. The guitars and drums were pretty weak and not enough to get over the annoying vocals. However, I have heard that Immolation's other albums are better. Is this true?

6. DarkBliss

DarkBliss ...And okra for all

cookiecutter: Immolation's albums are generally inconsistent but if you want the best-look into Dawn of Possession, though it's got the old-school DM touch/sound which you seem pretty indifferent to.
    Close to a World Below is another huge fan favorite from the band's modern era and it's quite a bit better than Harnessing Ruin, so check out this one next.

7. Beard_of_Odin

It is true Mortician is a ridiculously terrible band, however, they (like some other ridiculously terrible bands like mayhem in reference to the black metal scene in norway) were very significant to the NYDM scene.

As far as my opinion goes, I could give or take the NYDM scene, with the exception of Suffocation, as they are a great American band. But, I think Florida has New york owned in the American DM dept.

8. Zephyrus

Zephyrus Tyrants and Slaves

I listened to Immolation's Harnessing Ruin this morning after reading this thread. It's a good listen but nothing special.

9. skeptik

skeptik Member

Yeah...Immolation isn't a band that you can necessarily listen to once passively and appreciate.

10. cookiecutter

cookiecutter Proceed to Ultraslamming

They are one of the bands I know are good, but have had trouble getting into.