This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Obscure bands

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Rick, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Rick

Rick Senior User

I had an idea for a thread (obviously). I've been really getting into some music that would probably be considered pretty obscure by definition by most metal kind of guys (Bob Marley, John Mayer etc), what i was interested in, was suggestions from you guys or contributions as to what you would consider a band that most people in the metal community wouldn't have heard much of or listened to a lot of, but that you listen to a lot of, and that most people wouldn't have really listened to, a rare gem that you pull out every now and then. That doesn't mean it can't be a metal band, just something that you don't think most of the guys here would have had a chance to listen to.

As a side note, i am in no way suggesting that metalheads only really listen to metal, rather the opposite, by throwing this question to you guys becuase i know there is some diversity here.

To start off:

John Mayer - Continuum - I don't know why, but i recently bought this album and really dig the slow jazzy stuff that he does.

Go nuts and sugest some things! This is mostly for my own gain. :D Also, if anyone has any suggestions for bands like Colplay, Marley or Mayer that they think has a similar sound, add those too. :)

Cheers.

2. Cryptor

Cryptor Cobber Mc Friendly

Naked City - Naked City

Basically, an avant garde band started by saxophonist/composer John Zorn back in the late 80s. Absolutely INSANE stuff! The first album is the one I recommend to start on, but I do enjoy them all. Basically, it's very rock/jazz orientated but has massive elements of many other styles from metal, country, grindcore, classical, punk rock and even surf!

Well worth checking out.

3. Rick

Rick Senior User

Mod can you edit my title to say "obscure" :lol:.

4. Zen

Zen Vows In Ashes...

Naked City are amazing.

If you're a fan of jazz/fusion stuff based around piano, check out Hiromi Uehara. Crazy Japanese pianist that makes some simply mindblowing music.

Dirty Three are an incredible (Australian) band that do really cool instrumental stuff, post-rock I guess. Sound a LOT like Nevetherym except without the metal (Or flamboyant drumming).

There's also Attack of the Giant Squid, instrumental jazz/funk/rock and everything in between. Just good fun crazy energetic music.

5. Cryptor

Will definately have to check out Dirty Three then.

But then again, without the flamboyant drumming? I just don't if I could handle it. :p

6. cro4eva

cro4eva Member

Weather Report, it has Joe Zawinul and Wayne Shorter from the Miles Davis band. I haven't heard heaps, but this is one of my faviourite songs.

A Remark You Made:

Mahavishnu Orchestra, which is a Jazz band also has some cool stuff. Return To Forever is a pretty cool band also, it has Chick Corea from Miles Davis also. Pretty much every member from Miles Davis went on and made a great Jazz/Rock fusion band.

Philip Glass is pretty cool, he is a minimalist composer which you may not like, but check out this track it is pretty cool.

Anthem:

One of my favorites, Vangelis.

Conquest Of Paradise:

Monastery of La Rabida:

He also does Chariots Of Fire which I am sure you have heard.

#6 cro4eva, Sep 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2015
  7. Cryptor

Mahavishnu Orchestra are great! Still need to pick up some of their cds though, if I can find them.

8. Awake_In_Animosity

Awake_In_Animosity Fearing a Blank Planet

I don't find any of these artist obscure, what is strange is that I have albums by all of these artists.

All good stuff that has been mentioned so far.

Rick, if you like the John Mayer jazzy stuff check out the John Mayer Trio album Try. Andrew you will like Dirty Three for sure, make sure you see them live, they are an amazing live band. Cro check out some of John McLaughlin solo stuff I think you will dig that just as crazy as Mahavishnu, you may also want to check out some of Jaco Pastorius solo material he was the bass player with Weather Report.

Zen, check out Moonchild by John Zorn its an improv jam with Mike Patton and it is really interesting.

9. cro4eva

cro4eva Member

10. Awake_In_Animosity

If you like that you will love the Red Eyes from Melbourne too. Check them out on Myspace.

11. Acey Jendell

Acey Jendell Jonesey

One band that i actually really like that i haven't seen mentioned on here is
    Emerson, Lake and Palmer. They did a 10 minute progged out version of the olympics song, totally weird but pretty awesome.

Another band i don't think i've seen mentioned anywhere on the net is a band called Winds. I don't know all that much about them because i heard of them through a mate, but they're sort of neoclassical prog metal type of stuff, and i reckon they're pretty mad.

12. JetHead

JetHead FTT

id be suprised if any agree with me but I realy enjoy The John Butler Trio, some of the things that guy writes on his slide guitar is pretty awesome.

and then theres my guilty pleasure of Nickelback:oops:

13. Rick

Rick Senior User

I think i'd rather kill myself than listen to those two bands. Nickelback? That's almost as bad as Creed. :lol: :D

14. mattt

mattt Yes.

I use to hate JBT but now I quite enjoy them. He writes some great lyrics.

15. Rick

Rick Senior User

Yeah, i've heard quite a bit of them with family members liking them over the years etc, just found the delivery and overall sound to be really unnatractive.

16. Awake_In_Animosity

Love JBT, but what is better is the Waifs!

17. flip`

flip` Your mother was a hamster

Not necessarily all that obscure but I really enjoy Phideaux's work, easily one of the best prog-rock/crossover bands of the last 20 years. Not a complete stranger to metal either as Phideaux Xavier features in some Ayreon songs. Plus he's done a pirate song (Temple Of Mutiny), so that automatically makes him really cool! Perhaps not everyone cup-of-beer but if you like Ayreon or Prog I highly recommend!

http://www.myspace.com/phideaux

Others would be:
    Maserati - http://www.myspace.com/maseratirocks
    The Dear Hunter
    ROOT!

18. Rick

Rick Senior User

Let me clarify a bit. I doesn't have to be obscure to you guys... More so for me! Haha, so all of these suggestions have been great.

19. Zen

Zen Vows In Ashes...

Wow, I'd never heard his solo stuff before. That was really cool.

The Lord Weird Slough Feg play some really cool folky/trad metal with a fucking ton of energy, well worth checking out if you like NWOBHM and/or folk type bands.

20. Jet City Woman

Jet City Woman The Drumming Monkey

I'm going to have to say John Frusciante. [Shut up Tim! :p] For those who don't know, he's the guitarist from the Red Hot Chili Peppers, but whether you're a fan of their stuff or not, you should check out John's solo stuff. Niandra LaDes and Usually Just a T-Shirt was his first solo album, which is pretty trippy, considering he was a junkie at the time. His more recent [clean] stuff is absolutely amazing. Shadows Collide With People is a brilliant album. Curtains is a great acoustic album.

http://www.myspace.com/johnfrusciantemusic

#20 Jet City Woman, Sep 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2015