This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Obscure bands

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Rick, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Awake_In_Animosity

Awake_In_Animosity Fearing a Blank Planet

I agree great record! Nice one Jet City!

2. Jet City Woman

Jet City Woman The Drumming Monkey

Cool to see another Frusciante fan here! :D

3. cowboy

cowboy Member

Kinda obscure, and hideously (IMHO) under-appreciated.

The mighty MAGNUM, out of the UK. Been together for over 30 years, releasing some of the best prog/pomp rock out there. Tony Clarkin is a genius songwriter, and Bob Catley has tonsils that just get better with age.

The name Bob Catley might be familiar to you if you listen to Avantasia or Ayreon as he has provided vocals on their recent work. He's also done vocals on some of the Nolan/Wakeman work like "Hound of the Baskervilles" and "Jabberwocky".

Their 70s stuff was more 'prog-like' - very Jethro Tull in places. Their debut "Kingdom of Madness" still sounds good 30 years on.

The 80s they started to go more mainstream - On A Storytellers Night is an all-time classic melodic rock/pomp rock disc. Throughout the 90s they provided some solid releases (Sleepwalking from 92 was pretty weak though), before disbanding at the end of the 90s with the classic "Last Dance" double-live CD recorded on their farewell tour.

Thankfully they didn't disband for too long! Releasing several albums over the last few years. "Princess Alice and the Broken Arrow" released last year was a brilliant return to form, and they have a new album coming soon which I cannot wait for!!

I've always harboured the hope that they would tour down here, but I don't think they will :( At least I got to see them live in Balingen in 2004 (and got to meet them!!) so I can't complain.

http://www.magnumonline.co.uk/

4. monophonic

monophonic Member

My Disco from Melbourne are pretty obscure. I first herd of em when i was talking to a mate about how bands look better with bigger drumkits on stage. My mate mentioned my Disco because he thought i'd hate them because they host a weenie drum kit. I actually don't mind them too much, they have a guitar with an aluminum neck to produce a horrible but cool sound.

5. Crabby

Crabby Member

I interviewed them for the paper actually, interesting bunch of lads.

6. Zen

Zen Vows In Ashes...

Not that obscure, though I'm surprised at the number of people that haven't heard (of) The Alex Skolnick Trio - Skolnick being one of the founding members of Testament. He ended up leaving and studying jazz guitar, which lead to the formation of the Trio. AST do fucking awesome jazz covers of classic rock and metal songs, as well as some cool originals. They've got 3 albums out at the moment and I love them all.

Black Sabbath's War Pigs

Deep Purple's Highway Star

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n5ObYKLzz8&feature=related[/ame]

#26 Zen, Sep 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2015
  7. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

Not sure how many people know of Harem Scarem outside of us AOR fiends in LORD! HAHA!

Absolutely killer band from Canada and their guitarist, Pete Lesperance is one of the best melodic players in the world, bar none.

Check out some of this shit from HS:

And check out this solo from Pete:

:worship:

#27 Lord Tim, Sep 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2015
  8. Goreripper

Goreripper Metal as fuck

I was listening to Brave yesterday. You should too.

9. Spikes Red

Spikes Red Member

Hey Zen, very nice!!!
    I didn't know he did that, what era?
    My kid loves jazz/blues mood music, and I love a bit of cello, top stuff!!!!
    Thanks. :)

10. cowboy

cowboy Member

Damn straight. Great band *listens to Overload now*

Love AOR - does anyone else here visit www.melodicrock.com? Great website run by a dude down in Tassie. I've discovered some great AOR thanks to his generally very good reviews. In fact, I think it was his 99% he gave to Harem Scarem's Overload that lead me to buying the CD!

And he gives Bob Catley's new CD 94% *linkback to my Magnum post :lol:*

11. Spikes Red

Spikes Red Member

Hey Cowboy, I just spent saturday night with his sister!!!!

I think Chris from VP will know her as, "Hobart-Chick girl!!!" :lol:

She was awesome fun, we ended up trekking back into Melb CBD on foot, cos there were no taxis, lol. We are gonna keep in touch, I love meeting new friends at gigs!!!!!

12. cowboy

cowboy Member

Yeah Spikes, her brother is a nice guy too. Met him briefly when he brought JEFF SCOTT SOTO out here to tour a few years ago.

Another obscurey that some around here may dig:

DAN BAIRD & HOMEMADE SINS

Dan was the lead singer of 'one hit wonders' THE GEORGIA SATELLITES back in the 80s. Awesome band who deserved better than to be relegated to one-hit-wonder status.

I bought Dan's first solo album after he left the satellies ("Love songs for the hearing impaired") which was pure countrified-rock gold.

Anyway, after many many years he's finally released some new output, with an awesome new backing group consisting amongst others of former Satellites member Mauro Magellan on drums, and Warner Hodges from JASON & THE SCORCHERS on lead guitar.

The new album is just good old beer-drinkin', southern boogie, rock and roll. Hodges' six-string work is perfect, songs are well written, clever lyrics, and Dan's voice sounds great - sounding very Bob Dylan-ish in places.

13. pipsqeek

pipsqeek Musical Delinquent

I use to like their earlier stuff, but like most bands who bash the politics, they get old unless you're actually into that stuff. IMHO their last album was mundane and mainstream. Their old stuff is off the wall and a candid representation of musical talent.

There have been a tonne of bands like this in years gone by, for some reason, I can't stand the sound. I appreciate the music, the talent. It's not just "noise" to those with uninitiated ears. But I just can't get into it.

Great prog band.

That solo is one of my favs. Simple, effective. I love solos like that, which aren't full of wank. LOL, I just realised, that's what you play Tim :p

I know you're just taking the piss and having some fun though. I don't like it when people take themselves too seriously. Somehow I can tell through the music.

Here's some of my suggestions. Not sure if they are obscure, some might be.

Agathodaimon Great to listen to in the car, on the drive home in peak hour traffic.

Andrei Krylov I'm right into the nylon string stuff.

Neko Case. I think I might have mentioned them on another thread once before. Great Alternative band. Great chick, red hair, great voice. It just travels really well.

Their MySpace

pips

14. Bucko

Bucko Member

Yup sure do, new it was Run by a Aussie but not from Tassie, i like the Reviews gave Journeys newie a good rating as well...

15. Goreripper

Goreripper Metal as fuck

That sounds great. I loved the first Satellites album. I played it to death. Jason and the Scorchers were awesome too.

16. Zen

Zen Vows In Ashes...

Megabump!

Just read about these guys on Blabbermouth today, can't wait for them to bring out an album after listening to their Myspace track.

Really cool (different!) take on jazz/metal fusion stuff, if you like(d?) Alarum, Cynic etc then you'll dig it. If you haven't heard Cynic or Textures check them out too.

http://www.myspace.com/exivious

17. Turner

Turner I have a cunning plan

the pogues!! give em a listen

18. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

I heard JBT's 'Close To You' this morning and the intro/verses remind me of Skid Row, I can so picture Sebastian Bach singing that - with a lot more intensity of course.

s

19. matt2006

matt2006 Member

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. One of my favourite bands in the world, and so ridiculously underrated. Kinda like if Stravinsky played in a rock ensemble. Incredible promo shots too-

http://images.google.com.au/images?...e=&redir_esc=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

For fans of Mr. Bungle/FNM/Fantomas, Unexpect, Contemporary Classical, quirky music, Frank Zappa, John Zorn... yet something completely different. It's extremely complex and 'difficult' music with complete lack of pretension, changes from tech-death metal to hymn music, with tonnes of homemade instruments :eek:

Probably one of my favourite opener/s to an album ever. The transition from "Hymn to the Morning Star" into "The Donkey Headed Adversary Opens the Discussion" gives me goosebumps everytime...

#39 matt2006, Apr 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  20. Goreripper

Goreripper Metal as fuck

Yep. Highly recommended!