This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Oden?

Discussion in 'Amon Amarth' started by Pyaemia, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Pyaemia

Pyaemia In Thor we trust

Anybody knows why AA always use Oden instead of Odin? What runes would be use in the writting of is name? Instead of having a picture of Odin tattooed on me Id rather have is name. 4 runes would fit quite nicely on my forearm.

2. Thorshammer

Thorshammer In the hands of Thor

3. Pyaemia

Pyaemia In Thor we trust

4. Thrymfal

Thrymfal Snootchie Bootchies

either is acceptable, you have to remember, the old norse didn't use the letters I or E as we do in english, just corresponding sounds, so in translation, one must choose which letter to use in such a way as we can pronounce it close to correctly. Oden, Odin, both pronounced the same. Loke, Loki, both proounced the same. i think some prefer to use the E because it looks a tad more "old world"

5. Pyaemia

Pyaemia In Thor we trust

Ok thanks... Id wanted to write 2 words on my forearms. One on each... Odin was one I was considering and maybe is wife on the other arm but i wasnt sure. Also thought about Hugin and Munin on each arm... (spelling?)

6. Bill S.

Bill S. Sanity is too overrated

I seem to remember reading somewhere (Can't remember if it was on this forum, or somewhere else) that in Sweden, they use the Oden spelling.

7. mjollnir1965

mjollnir1965 Member

I would not tattoo runes on you if you are not familiar with the Runes. You may want to consult someone who is well versed in the runes first. Just a piece of advice!

8. F_Slim

F_Slim Einherjer

Yeah, you really should do that ... they are not just ordinary letters, you know ...

As for the spelling: here in Germany it's spelled "Odin". Since in Sweden "i" is pronounced just like in Germany, I would think, that they write it the same, but I don't know for sure.

9. Sleipnir

Sleipnir Thorsmadr

blah blah blibbity blah phhhhhhhhttttttttbbbbbbbbbb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See you at the ECT Alan!!!!!!!!!!

10. Pyaemia

Pyaemia In Thor we trust

I already know about the runes my friends. This is why Im insisting that a particular tattoo artist does it. Cause he knows about the runes too. For me, it was uncacceptable to get runes tattooed by someone who just saw them as "patterns". My friend doesnt seem to grasp that, but thats ok :)

I live in Canada and Im waiting for someone to go to a convention In Montreal whos from denmark www.tattoo.dk Colin dale is the name. Is art work is AMAZING!

11. mjollnir1965

mjollnir1965 Member

Hehehe...see you there, Gary!! I believe that I will also be doing a talk about Viking Metal!! ;) I am the only metal-head in Gladsheim you know!! hehehehe

12. Feraliminal Lycanthropizer

THE PROPER WAY IS WOTAN. the end.

13. F_Slim

F_Slim Einherjer

14. mjollnir1965

mjollnir1965 Member

Actually, Wotan is the German name for Odin (The Anglicized version of his ON name). The actual Old Norse name for him was Oðinn. The Anglo-Saxons called him Woden. The spelling in question is Swedish.

15. Renie Gamgee

Renie Gamgee Member

In Russian we say Odin, the stress is on the last syllable. In modern Russian this word means "one". The linguists say these words have the same route.

16. darcy

darcy Member

You could also get Wedne. Like Wednesday, with is named after the All-Father. Eh? No? OK.

To attempt seriousness for a moment... Odin has so many fucking names I don't think it's really a big deal which vowel you pick. Hell, get "Grímnir" or "Váfuðr". Here's a list of names for Odin you can use. Enjoy!

17. son_of_northern_darkness

son_of_northern_darkness Full Time Metalhead

I would hazard a guess that the "e" in Oden is a regional thing of Sweden, seeing that both AA and Bathory use the "Oden" variation. There are many ways of saying Odin - take Falkenbach for example. In his lyrics, Vratyas uses both "Wuotan" and "Odhinn". It depends on the area of Scandinavia and the time period how it is spelt.

edit: Another example is the Swedish (I think!) band Einherjer - in mythology it is spelt Einherjar.

18. Tyra

Tyra Member

The band is based in Sweden, my brother speaks Swedish and so do the other dudes (well, I think Olli is bilingual), and I suppose that's why it's Oden in the lyrics, rather than Odin. If you search the forum, you'll find that there's another thread like this that may explain it better... It has to do with geography and where you speak what language - the Nordic languages are not one and the same. As Feralim pointed out, the Saxons called him Wotan. It'd be just as correct to call him Othinn, if you were to do it phonetically from some runestones./T.

19. Krigloch the Furious

Krigloch the Furious Pants full of poo

your brother and the other dudes?

20. darcy

darcy Member

I assume Tyra is a sister of one of the Amon Amarth men.