This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Just a heads up... In the next week or two we will be making some major upgrades to the site to bring the software and server fully up to date. While the upgrade happens the site will be offline for the day. There will be some quirkiness after the upgrade, but we'll get it all sorted out.
    Dismiss Notice

Official video game thread - what are you playing?!

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA Lounge' started by AeonicSlumber, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Sloz

Sloz An Unsolved Riddle

Amnesia
    Injustice
    NHL
    Conker's Bad Fur Day
    Darksiders 2
    Diablo via console

2. Mardoch

Mardoch Defender of the Universe

How's the control scheme for console D3? I played a lot of the PC release. I also played the original Diablo's release on PS, which I wouldn't really recommend to anyone due to the controls.

3. Sloz

Sloz An Unsolved Riddle

Can't really complain, was a little bit weird but when you know everything they're actually good imo.

4. SkiBumMSP

SkiBumMSP Member

We were lucky to even GET a release, limited or otherwise! If I recall, Nintendo had no plans to even release Xenoblade Chronicles in North America, until this huge petition drive somehow miraculously convinced Nintendo to rethink their position and release it, even if it basically was just a repackaged European version. It was the same thing with The Last Story and Pandora's Tower.

BTW, I did a quick look on Amazon and I cannot believe that there is a seller asking friggan $200 for a copy! However, I also did a quick search on Gamestop and they are asking $80 a copy there. I guess this game is getting harder to find. Glad I bought mine on a pre-order back when it was initially released to the US and only paid $45 for it. Did not realize that Nintendo did such a limited release of it. However, I swore I saw a copy at the local Best Buy fairly recently and they were only asking like $30 or so for it, and thinking "Damn, that would be an awesome deal for somebody that has not played that yet". May have to go back and look again to see if I was not just imagining things or if there are at least still copies there. A quick search on Best Buy's website turned up only a very vague "Xenoblade" for Wii U with a pre-order of $60. Is that suggesting that there is another Xenoblade game coming for the Wii U, or are they planning on just re-releasing the original Xenoblade Chronicles for the Wii U? Will have to research that some more, as if there is a new Xenoblade game coming for the Wii U, I will definitely want to check it out.

5. AeonicSlumber

Nintendo was really stupid though about this game. First of all, their failure to not put it out after so long even though it had already been localized for Europe made no sense at all. Second of all, when they did put it out (in a very sleazy, un-Nintendo like exclusive deal with Gamestop), it sold better in North America than Japan and Europe COMBINED.

As for Wii U - Monolith Soft is working on a game called "X" that is likely in that universe. Of note though, the "X" in the title has the same font as the "X" in Xenogears. ;)

6. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Member

The Gamestop exclusive is because they were footing part of the bill in getting it over here. To be honest, I could understand Nintendo's reluctance, since JRPGs aren't generally high volume products and even with it success it doesn't do the numbers a Mario game does, for example. It was very successful for what it is, but probably not for a typical Nintendo title. (Which is why "The Last Story" and "Pandora's Tower" were licensed out to XSEED.)

With all the talk about GTA5 lately, I've gotten around to firing up GTA4 on my PC. I think I'm beginning to understand the problems people were having with the game.

7. Mardoch

Mardoch Defender of the Universe

One of my favorite JRPGs ever. I have a wall scroll of Fei Fong Wong with Xenogears behind my monitor bank in my office.

8. AeonicSlumber

Yeah I'm aware of the situation. It's just really lazy and wasn't well thought out. And on top of all of that, Nintendo would have made alot more money if it put those titles out normally.

That being said, seems as though Nintendo learned from its mistakes in a big way - especially given that they themselves are running Dragonquest X's servers in the US, publishing Bravely Default here when Square Enix refused to do so, and will actually be releasing "X" here.

9. Kerlif

Kerlif Member

Cognition Episode 4: The Cain Killer.

10. PromisedLand

PromisedLand Master of Corgis

GTA V, alternating with AC III ..

11. Keir

Keir Member

12. RiffDaemon

RiffDaemon Member

TopSpin 4 because the courts are wet

13. Diabolik

Diabolik Member

ok....looking for recommendations for something for PS3. I love strategy games and RPG's. I love stuff like Civilization, the original Fallout games for PC and loved Skyrim. I am at a loss right now for finding anything interesting. Would love a good wargame strategy. any one?

14. AeonicSlumber

Xcom: Enemy Unknown would be right up your alley then!

15. Diabolik

Diabolik Member

is it out for playstation? i will look this up. many thanks my good man

16. Diabolik

Diabolik Member

just looked this up....this will be my next game!

I am reading reviews on amazon and it seems like there are people who's disc gets locked in the PS3. Plus lots of bugs...did you have any issues? this game sounds exactly what I have been looking for...anymore like this you can recommend?

17. eppst1

eppst1 Member

Thanks for this! This is a fun game!

18. AeonicSlumber

I never had the game, and never heard of those bugs man. As for other games like that - uhh idk! :X

19. Diabolik

Diabolik Member

I do see the new version coming out in a few weeks....may wait for it and get the new one!! still thanks for the suggestion.

20. AeonicSlumber

^ Oh, I guess Final Fantasy Tactics would be up your alley as well and I'm pretty sure it's on the PSN for cheap.